On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 08:35:27AM -0600, Fred Lindberg wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:55:55 -0500, Tim Pierce wrote:
>
> >On this list in particular, when you subscribe, the ezmlm confirmation
> >message doesn't include any of the magic cookies traditionally
> >associated with daemon messages (such as "Precedence: junk" or
> >"qmail-request").
>
> A confirmation request is not "junk" or "bulk". It is an ordinary
> personal message. List messages and digests are "bulk". You shouldn't
> vacation reply to "bulk".

Agreed.  But you shouldn't vacation-reply to a subscribe confirmation
message, either, or it defeats the whole purpose.  I believe that
anyone running a BSD vacation program could be forge-subscribed to
this list, since ezmlm is basically guaranteed to get a confirmation
from them.

Again, I'm not talking about mail on the list, I'm talking about the
subscribe confirmation message.

> In lieu of standards, MLMs have made up their own headers. Smart
> vacation programs keep up with that.

Sure, but smart MLMs use conventions that are obeyed by old software
as well as new software.

> Personally, I would use the To/Cc rule and send vacation messages only
> if my address is in one of those 2 headers.

That's a good rule!  But ezmlm (at least, the ezmlm daemon running
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) foils it by putting your address in the To header
when it sends you a confirmation request.  It meets all of the
traditional criteria for a personal message.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce