Scott D. Yelich writes:

[ snip ]

> chmod 755 compile
> ./compile tcpclient.c
> ./compile: cc: not found
> *** Error code 1

Bad example.

If you do not have a functioning C compiler installed on your system, you
have no business compiling or installing any software, not just Qmail.

[ snip ]

> and see that games being played with conf-cc ...
> but then ld will fail, and I'll have to do the same for that after
> the make fails.
>
> Why not mention *this* in this INSTALL?

Why make so much fuss about this?

This is a minor glitch.  Although it's real cause is your broken C
compiler, let's say that's even not case.  Things like this happen all the
time, and I don't see the big deal about it.

The only item I'll agree with you on is that djb should be using GNU
auto-bloat, in order to handle convoluted compilers like that.

--
Sam