On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Scott D. Yelich wrote:

> > I've had tcpserver compile just fine even with HP's broken compiler.  It
> > seems as if you're trying to find fault just to try and prove your point.
> > If you know/knew in advance of your non-standard compiler setup you'd be
> > prepared for it.
>
> *sigh*
>
> You just don't get it... do you.
>
> I have a standard compiler set up.  I have gcc.  I do not have cc.

The first thing I do after I install gcc on a new Solaris box is symlink
cc to gcc.  I recall you saying that this breaks things, but I haven't had
a problem with it.

> I get 99% of my programs in source and they tell me to
> edit the Make file and change the "cc" line to "gcc"
> or to type ./Configure.  Both of these get me to
> compile (maybe I have to define solaris, etc.) just
> fine.

So does linking gcc to cc.

> Then comes qmail, et al., does it use Makefile with
> CC=gcc? no.  Does it use ./Configure? no.  It says
> "type make; make config check; # that's all!"

No, it doesn't.  It doesn't need to, since it doesn't have a bazillion
compile-time options (I kinda wish it did, but that's another story).

> BUT IT IS NOT ALL.
>
> That's all (I'm trying to say).

Okay, okay, you've said it.  That being said, tcpserver is the quickest
and easiest piece of software I've ever built and installed.  YMMV

James Smallacombe                    Internet Access for The Delaware
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Valley in PA, NJ and DE
PlantageNet Internet Ltd.            http://www.pil.net
ISPF 3 - The Forum for ISPs by ISPs(tm)  ||  Nov 15-17, 1999, New Orleans
3 days of clues, news, and views from the industry's best and brightest.
     Visit <http://www.ispf.com/> for information and registration.