Joe Garcia writes:

> *Snip*
>

> > Since you already have a Netapp, mount the same mailstore volume from both
> > of your servers, and then load-balance the incoming mail between the two.
> > Storing mail in a Maildir over NFS is perfectly safe, and you
> > don't need to
> > bother with LDAP.
> >

> How do the two machines know that the incoming mail is a local user without
> a central database to look them up in??  Even if I don't use LDAP I would
> have to use NIS, NIS+ or some sort of replicated database.

You mount the *same* mailstore on both servers.  Both machines have
accounts for all the users, have the exact same user base, and mount the
same volume from the Netapp.  All users are local on both machines.  Both
machines have access to the entire mailstore for every user.

The incoming mail load is shared by both servers.  If one server catches
fire, you still have mail access, although things might get a bit backed up
until you put out the fire.