Text written by Greg at 12:29 AM 3/27/99 -1000:
>I thought I had but the tcp.smtp file appears to be called
>qmail-smtpd
>and lives in /etc/tcprules.d/ along with qmail-smtpd.cbd, I think
>i have
>to edit qmail-smtpd and regenerate the *.cbd one? ,

Yeah, that should do you. Use tcpmakectl to regen the .cdb file.

>I'm very tired now so I will try again tomorrow,
>Oh none of the people that I'm relaying mail for have
>"login-accounts" on
>this box, if that makes any difference?

That shouldn't matter. As long as you put the IP addresses or ranges that
will be assigned to your dial-in clients when they dial in to your company
into the qmail-smtpd file (followed by ':allow,RELAYCLIENT=""'), then
people who dial in to you will be able to send mail to anywhere they like.

Wow, that was really ugly sentence structure. Let me try again:

You know the IP numbers that your dial-in customers get assigned? Put those
into the qmail-smtpd file, appending

:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

to each rule line. This will allow anyone who has the specified IP address
to relay through that machine (once the .cdb file is recompiled).

Ugh, it's too early in the morning for me to write stuff like this. I'm
going for breakfast.

                             Kai MacTane
                         System Administrator
                      Online Partners.com, Inc.
>From the Jargon File: (v4.0.0, 25 Jul 1996)

can't happen

The traditional program comment for code executed under a condition
that should never be true, for example a file size computed as
negative ... Although "can't happen" events are genuinely infrequent
in production code, programmers wise enough to check for them habitu-
ally are often surprised at how frequently they are triggered during
development and how many headaches checking for them turns out to
head off.