>d/l the file and save it as, say, mkpasswd in a directory that is in your
>PATH.  Make sure it is executable, chmod a+rx mkpasswd.  Then to use it do:
>
>mkpasswd [plainpass] [seed]
>
>If you leave out [seed] then it is randomly generated (the seed is the first
>two letters of the crypted passwd).  If you simply type mkpasswd on it's own
>it'll ask you to type in the password and again to confirm and optionally
>you can then put in the seed - this is more like what you would be used to
>if changing your password.

Actually along the qmail way I wrote a utility that does
qmail/proftpd/passwd style adds/deletes and passwording.. passwording a
user is along the lines of "userconf -q -u joe -p password"

-q meaning qmail -u user and -p password.. that's it, it will modify the
password for the guy.. I wrote it in about 15 mins so there is little
documentation obviously, but there is a -h --help .. if anyone wants this
utility, as always my code is free so let me know.

Regards,

Julian L.C. Brown
DNS Administrator
Interware.Net Inc.