> From:  Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  30 Mar 1999 16:15:20 -0000
>
> Russ Allbery writes:
>  > Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>  >
>  > > Sorry, Russ, this *is* a Microsoft problem.  When many people make the
>  > > same mistake, it is a failure of technology, not a failure of people.
>  >
>  > !!
>  >
>  > That's a vicious condemnation of the entire software industry.  No
>  > exceptions.
>
> Nahhhh.  I call it the Full Employment Principle for Computer
> Programmers.  :) It just *happens* in this case to condemn Microsoft's
> macro viruses.  It can be used to condemn many other mistakes.  For
> example, I should be able to say (as root) ``rm -rf /'', and then say
> "oops.  undo." (as long as there was sufficient free space prior to
> that to avoid ongoing filesystem activity from writing over any
> just-removed files -- and even if there wasn't, the first files
> overwritten were the least-recently accessed files).  And yeah, this
> can all be done in user space.

As one of the contributors to "The UNIX-HATERS Handbook", I can assure you
that it really is a vicious condemnation of the entire software industry (or
at least a *very* large part of it), but the industry needs quite a bit of
condemnation.

Software could be so much better than it is, but the fact that it isn't better
doesn't excuse the companies/programers who made it the way it is.

The sad thing is that 10 years ago we* were raving about how bad Unix
is...today we're raving about how much worse Microsoft is than Unix.  This
isn't because Unix got any better.

Chris

* For some poorly defined "we" which certainly includes me and which may
  or may not include you.
--
Chris Garrigues                 Deep Eddy Internet Consulting
+1 512 432 4046                 609 Deep Eddy Avenue                    O-

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature