Russell Nelson wrote:
> In case it's not obvious what I'm getting at, imagine if you could say:
> To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> instead of the usual:
> To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BWT I encountered some problems with remote hosts limiting the sender
address to 62 characters, which has been exceeded for my env.sender
address was already "long", and so was the remote address. What you
propose could help me out.

So, what about a X-Header holding the data? This would require the
user's mailing agent to return that header, too.

But anyway: your "new" unsubscription mechanism only works if the whole
message (containing the "out of band" data) would be returned.

A blank message to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" would not work if
the envelope sender address is different from the address stored in the
subscriber list. (Besides, this seems to involve some list manager
issues, too).

Bounces generated by some MTA would be required to include the out of
band data too, and I think the unreliability of "foreign" MTAs was one
of the reasons why Dan invented VERPs, for they encapsulate the bouncing
address in the recipient address, which is guaranteed to be returned ;-)

Ragards,
Matthias
--
   w e b f a c t o r y | matthias pigulla