>The
>main issues are really "how to replicate imcoming messages" and "how to
>replicate POP3 transactions", though I'm sure it's a bit more involved
>than that.

Think 'cluster' !

Rather than having a warm spare, for which you can just flip over
to by changing an MX record, I think your time would be better spent
on a central mail spool, that was redundant (you know RAID, dual NICs, two
power supplies) and two front end work horses, using that spool.

That way you can break pretty much any individual component, with out
actually breaking service.

I'm not a unix raid guru, but I should have thought that this would give
you the ability to 'fix a disk'.

I belive NetApp do some nice NFS servers <g>

peter

--
peter at gradwell dot com; online @ http://www.gradwell.com/

"To look back all the time is boring. Excitement lies in tomorrow"