- Mate Wierdl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

|    |     Now, I ran some tests indicating that at least one mail
|    |    client (mailx) on an IRIX 6.2 box I have available, and it appears to
|    |    use dotlocking and to ignore flock-style locks.
|    |
|    | Is not it a problem too that he is delivering to symlinks?
|
|    No, he doesn't.  He delivers to real files, but the path of the files
|    happen to contain symlinks:  Delivery to /var/mail/USER where
|    /var/mail is a symlink to /usr/mail.  But /usr/mail/USER is a proper
|    file.  There should be no problem with this.
|
| Exept with procmail: it deletes a symlink and it tries to create a
| file named BOGUS.
|
| This is described in its man page---and mentioned in INSTALL.mbox.

Read what I wrote once more.  Then read that man page once more.
Nowhere does it say that it will delete a symlink in the path leading
to the mailbox, only the name at the end of the path gets that
treatment.

|    | How can then mail be lost?
|
|    [...]
|    all the read messages to ~/mbox and truncates the incoming mbox.
|    Just before the latter activity qmail adds a new message.  Poof.
|
| I see.  Is there a solution? Cannot setlock from serialmail be used
| in a mailx wrapper?

Maybe.  I have run out of time for this week, so I can't offer
suggestions.

| We have an Irix box here (I do not know the version).  How could one
| test something like this?

I append a small program I wrote a while back.  It will lock a single
file given on its command line until you hit return.  Use it to lock a
mailbox, then experiment with various mail clients to see how they
deal with it.  The program is quite verbose because I wrote it to
figure out how file locking works (I think I was confused at the
time).  Use the program twice on the same file (in different windows)
to verify that it actually does lock the file:  The second copy should
not succeed.

- Harald