On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 07:31:10PM +0000, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Peter van Dijk informed us:
> > On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 01:32:03PM -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
> > > I must be showing my age.  I remember when 48K of RAM *was* a big
> > > machine, and how excited I was to upgrade my development machine to
> > > 32K -- "Now I'll have enough memory to write anything!"
> >
> > That's not really an age thing. I'm 17, and I remember how happy my 16KB
> > memory extension made me. _anything_ fit in there, and I do mean
> > _anything_.
> >
> > This was on a Sinclair ZX-81, btw :)
>
> Hmmm... I remember writing a game which did fit into my 16KB ZX-81... until I
> tried to run it. It was a really crap game, too. I'm sure I could fit a
> runnable version into 16KB nowadays if I still had a ZX-81.

Seems to me I was much more intelligent back then than I am now. Must be all
that beer and caffeine :)

Anyway.. I remember patching up a 2kb game to run in 1kb :)
It was a nibbles like game, written in assembly with one very long REM line
which had all the code in it. There was another REM line with the name of the
game and stuff like that. Removing that second REM line freed enough memory
to run the thing :)

But let's not get too off-topic :)

Greetz, Peter.
--
<squeezer> AND I AM GONNA KILL MIKE                |          Peter van Dijk
<squeezer> hardbeat, als je nog nuchter bent:      | [EMAIL PROTECTED]