Sean Rietze wrote:
> My thoughts have been dual-controller DPT card (32MB cache onboard)
> with 4 9GB drives on one channel for the mailboxes and operating system
> and on the
> other channel a really fast 2 to 4.5GB SCSI drive for the queue.  Anyone
> see
> any problems with this?

Well, how are you planning on partitioning these?  You need to keep your
system partitions (/, /usr/ and /var) preferrably on a completely
separate
disk from your mailboxes.  Else you'll end up in a world of pain when
something unexpected happens, and the mailbox drive chews itself up.
But then, you already knew that.  You might want to look around at what
other people have available before marrying yourself to DPT, also.

> Is it better to put the queue drive on a separate SCSI controller?

Generally, yes.  With a dual 400 of course, pretty much no matter what
you
do, you're going to be blocked by insufficient I/O well before the
processor
is even breathing hard.  As mentioned by someone else, two separate
machines
would probably be a better idea.

> Besides this,
> is it better to get a caching RAID card and run the queue on a RAID 0
> configuration?

Eh?  Only if you plan to have it span multiple disks, which isn't really
necessary.

-- Erik Nielsen, Cyberhighway Internet Services NOC
Remember though that
THERE IS NO GENERAL RULE FOR CONVERTING A LIST INTO A SCALAR.
             -- Larry Wall in the perl man page