Dear Sir:

  * I'm here not for another blamming-war, just some experience.

  Yes, I'm a very big 'newsletter' system administrator. Now I have to
  send 400K+ newsletter in less than 8 hours (not a day, since some news
  are time-intensive) per day.

  In fact, I'm a new comer for qmail, and our system is now on one
single
  ultra2 workstation w/ 256MB RAM and 2*2GB U-SCSI disks. This is a very
  old model, about 2 years ago, so the computing power is surely weak
than
  today's PII/PIII, even some P-200+ I think.

  Can I achieve my target? Yes, I can send 400K+ letters in less than 8
hours.
  But unfortunately, it works on sendmail 8.9.x, not qmail.

  The mail reason that I can't switch to qmail is that I'm NOT familiar
with
  qmail in early days, so I chose sendmail.

  But now I 'almost' give up sendmail, because I can't add/change
functions
  on it via a simple way - I mean something like qmail. I have the
bat-book
  about sendmail, but I only use it to tune the 'options'.

  I've read all the articles about the topic 'qmail speed'. Now I'm
wonder
  that if qmail can do this too? If the design spirit of qmail can't
afford
  such high-loading task in short time, then sendmail takes the chance
back.

  I'll try to move my system to qmail recently, and give it a try, I
think
  now I have more control on qmail than before, does 40K+ letters in 8-
hour
  possible? I might have some comments soon. My new machine is a
PII-350, w/
  256MB RAM and 2*4G UW-SCSI disks, the OS is FreeBSD 3.1.

  As I know, hotmail use qmail as its base(?) but hotmail is slow, slow,
and
  unreliable 'sometimes'. I don't know what will happen if hotmail
choose
  sendmail as its base now, but I'm curious on this topic.

  Sorry for this posting if not suitable here, and thanks for any kind
of
  comments about this.

  Regards.

--