On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 11:04:15AM -0500, Greg Moeller wrote:
> Yes, this is the same setting up of Email on our big server.
> Things are mostly working, but we have a problem with how the server decides
> how to deliver.
> As it is, it checks for a user, and if there is, then delivers based on that.
> (and if the user has a .qmail file in their home dir)
> I'm running Fast forward, and there are mappings in there for users that exist.
> These mappings are supposed to override the users normal delivery, but they
> don't.

They're not supposed to override anything. fastforward delivery is normally set
up in ~alias/.qmail-default, and ~alias/.qmail-default won't handle a delivery
to a user until it's been determined that the user isn't in qmail-users,
there's no account for user, and ~alias/.qmail-user doesn't exist. Then
~alias/.qmail-default handles the delivery, and your fastforward database is
consulted.

> How can I make it deliver to what's in the fast forward database over
> anything else?  There's over 50,000 users on the system, so just throwing in
> a .qmail in the home dirs for each exception would be troublsum to program.

You might make the domain a virtual domain instead of a local domain. In
control/virtualdomains, put:

yourdomain.com:alias-yourdomain

In ~alias/.qmail-yourdomain-default, put:

| fastforward -d -p /etc/aliases.cdb
| forward "$DEFAULT"

fastforward will get first whack at delivery. The -p causes fastforward to exit
0 if delivery fails, causing delivery to be handled by the next line, which
forwards the mail to the local user $DEFAULT.

Chris