On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 10:55:43AM +1200, Karl Lellman wrote:
> I have a customer who runs Qmail 1.03 on RedHat Linux 5.1 as a SMTP relay
> between the internet and their internal MS Exchange server.
>
> They have started to encounter delivery and reception problems with a couple
> of sites and the only thing I can narrow it down to is that these sites want
> to use ESMTP.

What are the delivery and reception problems? What's in the logs? They
simultaneously start to have both delivery and reception problems with the same
site?

> They have been able to send and received emails from these sites fine up
> until about 4-6 weeks ago.  Are there any known issues with ESMTP?  Has a
> new version of Sendmail been released recently that does something different
> with ESMTP?  One person that we have talked to said it might be a problem
> with qmail not being able to deal with two 220 responses?

qmail-remote shouldn't have any problems with properly constructed multi-line
response, and then just chew up and ignore the rest of the lines. The remote
end could send a hundred consecutive 220 responses if it did it correctly.

> The customers mail server is 'mail.renaissance.co.nz', one of the SMTP
> servers that they are having trouble with is 'mail.compaq.com'.

For a typical problematic message, what do the logs say?

Chris