On Tue 1999-04-13 (09:56), Dave Sill wrote:
> I'm replying to several messages here (see References), but I'm not
> going to bother attributing each quote.

> >> No, qmail will usually win here, too, because sendmail serializes.
> >> Sendmail only wins when the message is huge.
> >
> >Sendmail will win if you use multiple rcpt-to's.
>
> No, SMTP requires too many round trips per recipient.

What I had in mind was that with sendmail you can do:

    HELO
    MAIL FROM
    RCPT TO: <address-1>
    RCPT TO: <address-2>
    RCPT TO: <address-n>
    DATA

whereas with qmail, since it doesn't do multiple rcpts, you'd have to do:

  for i = 1 to n
    HELO
    MAIL FROM
    RCPT TO: <address-i>
    DATA
    QUIT

Remember that we're talking about sending one message to a large number of
addresses on the same remote host. In general qmail is faster, but I think in
this case any MTA that does multiple rcpt to's will be quicker.

> -Dave

  - Keith
--
Keith Burdis - MSc (Com Sci) - Rhodes University, South Africa
Email   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from a perl script"

Standard disclaimer.
---