On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Stefan Paletta wrote:

   > Mate Wierdl wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
   >
   > > $ export MAILHOST=oki.doki
   > > $ export QMAILINJECT=f
   >
   > Have you tried setting it to "s"?
   > Emacs might be supplying a return-path.

   Is it possible that emacs isn't using /usr/lib/sendmail, but instead
   injecting the message directly via SMTP?  The MAILHOST, QMAILUSER, ...
   environment variables aren't, as far as I know, used except by qmail, so
   emacs wouldn't do something with them unless it was using qmail's sendmail
   or using qmail-inject directly.

It did occur to me but:

1) If I remove /usr/lib/sendmail, Emacs cannot send a message.  (In
fact, Emacs is the *only* program in Rh that uses /usr/lib/sendmail)

2) If I put a domain in defaulthost, the envelope sender's address
does get changed to that domain.

Mate