x writes:
 > hi,
 >
 > as far as i know qmail-smtpd can't be run as a deamon but from ident (or
 > similar djb's server)only.
 > since this is really unefficient..are there any patches to this ?

How is it "unefficient"?  What measurements have you made that shows
this?

 > is qmail-smtpd considered clean of bugs ?

Yes.

 > how many daily messages can they handle ?

I know of a single machine handling nearly a million mails a day.  I
know of two sites with a cluster of machines handling 3-4 million
mails a day.

 > i can't trust qmail efficency notes
 > stuff like 'Red Hat doing fine with qmail, 16MB 486/66, 70000 messages a
 > day'
 > doesn't sound too real, & it ain't: RH is running Sendmail.

Yeah.  They had some trouble with qmail, didn't ask for help, decided
it was a piece of crap, and went back to sendmail after qmail had
saved their bacon.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson