On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Dave Sill wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >BTW, I wondered why qmail is not compliant to fsstnd?
>
> Because qmail runs on many platforms, not just Linux, and because Dan
> does things His Way. However, His Way, in this case, is flexible
> enough to be made nearly fsstnd compliant.

Is the filetree organized that much different on different Unices?

> Before installing, do:
>
> # mkdir /var/qmail /etc/qmail
> # ln -s /etc/qmail /var/qmail/control

Thanks, but it's too late ;_) I'll move qmail to the appropriate locations
and create the links afterwards.

> >The ~/.qmail files I'd suggest to put into ~/etc/qmail, rather than
> >hiding them among the lots of various other `dotfiles' that you encounter in
> >users' homes.
>
> I can't agree with you there. They belong in the user's home
> directory.

Yes, that was meant to be an `etc' directory in the users directory. I
prefer not to have files other than directories in my home whenever
possible, for personal taste and because it's easyer to backup a directory
than having to select each file individually. (Of course I'd backup the
whole /home tree, but I'll have to buy a new streamer before I can do so.)

> >Is there good reason to place more or less static files --- not to mention
> >an application specific hierarchy that could even be put into /opt/qmail
> >(except for the queue) --- under /var?
>
> Dan puts everying under /var because it's all potentially
> system-specific. Even the binaries, since have UID's/GID's compiled
> into them.

That much system-specific, shouldn't they be put to /usr/local? (/opt won't
be good place then ...)

GH