> > this is completely untrue, the docs tell you to KEEP SENDMAIL RUNNING while
> > you install qmail
>
> Yes, the docs say that, but when you try to install qmail (RPM's anyway) it
> says it can't because sendmail is installed...yes installed not running. I
> killed sendmail but it still wouldn't install. I posted this to the list a few
> months ? ago, and was told to delete sendmail first. I did, it then installed
> without complaints.
>
> Anyone know if that's an rpm thing or does it apply to tgz as well ?

It's an RPM thing.

You can get round it by "--force"-ing the qmail installation.

tgz is probably the best^H^H^H^Hmost satisfactory way to install since
you have to read the docs to know what you're doing.  That's the trouble
with RPMs - you can install as easy as "rpm -Uvh" but have no inkling of
what the software you've just installed actually does!

--
Two rules to success in life:
  1. Don't tell people everything you know.