From:   Ludwig Pummer[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   24 January 1999 03:00
To:     axw; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: relay for reserved IPs / proxy question

At 05:06 AM 2/23/99 , axw wrote:
>I have successfuly set up qmail to receive and send mail on a firewall (tis
>fwtk 2.1) proxy.
>I know that perhaps I shouldn't have done this for security reasons;
>however, the trouble is, I can not make qmail pass emails from the internal
>network (192.168.etc). It means that it's impossible to reach any external
>account via pop3 nor send any mail. This concerns only windows 95 machines
>behind the firewall/proxy (which works fine itself).
>So, my question is: how do I set up qmail to act as a relay (pop3 & smtp)
>for reserved IPs behind the proxy?

Proxying POP3 is not a qmail-related thing. If you run a SOCKS server on
the qmail/firewall/proxy machine, you can get your Win95 machines to use
the SOCKS server. If their mail clients don't support SOCKS, you can use
the SocksCap program at www.socks.nec.com to make them go through the SOCKS
server. Or you can use something like Linux's masq or FreeBSD's natd and
proxy everything.

Proxying SMTP could be done by the solution above, or you could develop a
messy smtproutes method. A simple, blanket smtproute would work, except
that it would stop the mail which goes only behind the firewall.

--Ludwig Pummer ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  )