On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 04:00:49PM -0400, Timothy L. Mayo wrote:
> According to the qmail-remote man page, the brackets ARE required.
>
> "host can be either a fully-qualified domain name:
>
>       silverton.berkeley.edu
>
> or an IP address enclosed in brackets:
>
>       [128.32.183.163]"

The bit you've referenced has nothing to do with what goes in
control/smtproutes. The above is a requirement for the 'host' argument to
qmail-remote.

The qmail-remote man page seems to suggest that you shouldn't use IP addresses
in smtproutes at all: "...qmail-remote will connect to relay, as if host had
relay as its only MX." Since an MX record can't be an IP address--only a host
name--this might lead one to believe that only a host name should appear after
the colon. We know, however, that it does work with IP addresses. The man page
doesn't address using IP addresses at all, with or without brackets.

Chris