On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 05:03:01AM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> Chris Johnson writes:
> > I'm seeing more and more of qmail-smtpd exiting with status 256, which
> > usually indicates that the remote host is trying to send mail with
> > bare linefeeds.
>
> Maybe, maybe not. I didn't realize anybody was trying to extract useful
> information from the exit code of qmail-smtpd! There's one increasingly
> common situation, having nothing to do with bare linefeeds, in which
> qmail-smtpd will exit nonzero; this isn't something to worry about.

I realize that a non-zero exit code from qmail-smtpd doesn't necessarily mean
that the remote host is sending bare linefeeds, but when I see "status 256"
repeatedly from a particular host and then take steps to pipe messages from
that host through fixcr before qmail-smtpd, mail from that host is usually (but
not always) received successfully. I'd guess that about three quarters of the
time this works.

What's the "increasingly common situation, having nothing to do with bare
linefeeds, in which qmail-smtpd will exit nonzero"?

Chris