"Scott D. Yelich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
| security [855]> gcc taildir.c
| Undefined                       first referenced
|  symbol                             in file
| alphasort                           /var/tmp/cca002d11.o
| scandir                             /var/tmp/cca002d11.o

Those functions (as you can tell from the manpage) are part of the BSD
compatability library (-lucb), and are not automatically supplied if
you just link with the regular solaris C library.  Be cautious if you
do use libucb, since it interacts very badly with libc sometimes.

| I'm not a C genius...  but it looks like yet another linux program
| written without a concern in the world for portibility.  linux programs
| tend to assume that the rest of the world is compatible with them and
| not the other way around.

True, but in this case, it's Solaris that's being revisionist by
ditching the traditional Berkeley stuff.