Jeff Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Len Budney wrote:
>
>    True, but even factually-based prejudice, when based on _correlation_
>    rather than _causation_, is mighty risky business.
>
> It isn't prejudice, it is prevention.

Prejudice is defined, in part, as "a leaning toward one side of a
question from other considerations than those belonging to it".

Modems neither cause nor result from spam--modems and spam merely
correlate.

> The analogy I use is communicable disease--

Okay, let's pick one: HBV. That's a disease that correlates with lots
of things. Let's select people with those correlative risk factors, and
deny them jobs which place them in close proximity to people. Let's
call that "prevention". It would not be prejudice; it would merely be
insulating ourselves from those who could not *prove* themselves to
be disease-free.

The point: prejudice or bias may at times have positive value, but it
must be handled with extreme caution.

Len.

--
A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering
mouth worketh ruin. --Proverbs 26:28