On 18-May-99 Balazs Nagy wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 1999, Fred Lindberg wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 May 1999 17:35:09 +0200 (CEST), Balazs Nagy wrote:
>>
>> >Anyone who don't want to install ucspi-tcp.  You cannot say 'qmail-smtpd is
>> >not inetd conform' because it's not true.  This is a bigger issue than
>> >patching qmail - you cannot sell a qmail-solution without move a step back
>> >and check it's integrity.  IMHO qmail itself is a robust server, without
>> >patches.  Patches can add more functionality but more weaknesses too.  I
>> >cannot belive in patches which are will remain just as patches.
>>
>> Don't patch qmail, use ucspi-tcp/daemontools. You can't blame Dan for,
>> after giving you a perfect solution, not being willing to make a poor
>> one slightly better.
>
> Well, you're right.  I don't want to blame DJB, because he's a brilliant
> programmer. BTW I don't think this is a *perfect* solution.  He made just
> the *best* solution.
>
> I just want to extend this to a *better* solution.  Without the need of
> writing patches but with the help of Dan.
>
> He wrote qmail to be usable by almost everybody who knows his/her machine
> well and not for the ones who just pick up a package and install it without
> a base knowledge what s/he is doing.  If you like inetd, use inetd.  If you
> like xinetd, just use it.  It's not the developer's choice but the
> administrator's.  I (as a coder) don't want to be your sysadm.  Be your own
> sysadmin.

Actually it extends into a support issue as well.   There are regular issues
that come up with inetd and tcpwrappers and a few other things and switching
to tcpserver solves all of them and in a more robust fashion.  So in this
case it really is developer's choice.  If you want to use an alternate method
you'll find very little support.

> As you see, I merely want to respect my users' claims and want to keep the
> software as flexible as (possible || it was). [sorry for the precedence]
>
> PS I use ucspi-tcp and daemontools.  My fellow sysadmins don't want to
> use them and they use procmail instead of Maildir, anyways.

Procmail and Maildir are two entirely different things.  Procmail is a
method of delivery, Maildir is not.  I don't use either.  Methinks you
need to tell your "fellow sysadmins" they need to RTFM.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2