On Thu, 20 May 1999, Mario [iso-8859-1] Köppen wrote:

> I have a problem with some of our customers that *sometimes* can't
> retrieve their email from our server.
>
> here are the facts:
> - we use tcpserver 0.84 for qmail-pop3d.
> - retrieval of small e-mails makes no problems at all
> - Outlook starts getting the mail and then aborts with
>   "the server did not respond within 60 seconds"
> - our tcpserver settings are extremely lax:
>   5min to connect and 20min transfer timeout
> - the connection on ther server is still intact on the
>   server side, the pop3 process is still running
> - using netstat I see the that the connection is still there
>   but some sent kB were not ack'd.
>
> I already browsed/searched the q-mail ml, found some similar
> questions but no aswers. So if anyone has a solution for this
> problem (in case it really a q-mail problem) PLEASE let me know.

        This is really a pop3 issue.  Are you using qmail-pop3d or another
POP3 server?

        I've seen by experience that Netscape sometimes has probems
POP3ing large emails over a dialup PPP link.  Outlook does also.  If the
emails are over 1MB in size, suggest to your customers to use FTP.  If
they complain, suggest Eudora Light or Pegasus.  I know that Eudora Light
will handle large emails fine.

                                        -Dustin