qmail Digest 24 May 1999 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 650

Topics (messages 25959 through 25972):

Is qmail's log method inefficient?
        25959 by: Jos Backus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        25961 by: Balazs Nagy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        25964 by: Jos Backus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

DENYMAIL won't work...
        25960 by: "Oden Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Rookie qmail error question !
        25962 by: Per Birkeby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        25963 by: "Adam D. McKenna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Rookie qmail error question 2 !
        25965 by: Per Birkeby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

prevent double sends with aliases
        25966 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        25967 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        25968 by: "Scott D. Yelich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        25969 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John R. Levine)
        25970 by: "Scott D. Yelich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

this got me wondering...
        25971 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail and lotus notes
        25972 by: Anand Buddhdev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 08:53:42PM +0200, Balazs Nagy wrote:
> I didn't try it out on other platforms (UnixWare 7.1 will be done), but on
> Linux errorsto didn't work after fifo generated the named pipe.  Apparently
> because of waiting for the fifo process to poll out the log info.

jos:/tmp% uname -a
FreeBSD jos.bugworks.com 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #3: Sat May 22
22:15:50 CEST 1999     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/JOS  i386
jos:/tmp% fifo fifo | cat -n &
[1] 539 540
jos:/tmp% errorsto fifo sh -c 'date 1>&2'
     1  Sun May 23 14:32:32 CEST 1999
jos:/tmp% errorsto fifo sh -c 'date 1>&2'
     2  Sun May 23 14:32:34 CEST 1999
jos:/tmp%

Works fine here...

--
Jos Backus                          _/ _/_/_/  "Reliability means never
                                   _/ _/   _/   having to say you're sorry."

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Jos Backus wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 08:53:42PM +0200, Balazs Nagy wrote:
> > I didn't try it out on other platforms (UnixWare 7.1 will be done), but
> > on Linux errorsto didn't work after fifo generated the named pipe.
> > Apparently because of waiting for the fifo process to poll out the log
> > info.

Oh, I'm sorry.  It doesn't work if I stopped fifo and wanted to use errorsto
again ;)
--
Regards: Kevin (Balazs)

On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 04:45:26PM +0200, Balazs Nagy wrote:
> Oh, I'm sorry.  It doesn't work if I stopped fifo and wanted to use errorsto
> again ;)

errorsto will block when there's no reader on the other side of the fifo (if
that's what you mean ;)

--
Jos Backus                          _/ _/_/_/  "Reliability means never
                                   _/ _/   _/   having to say you're sorry."
                                  _/ _/_/_/             -- D. J. Bernstein
                             _/  _/ _/    _/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  _/_/  _/_/_/      use Std::Disclaimer;

Hi there,

I'm struggling with qmail-smtpd and I can't get the "DENYMAIL"
environment variable to work.

But..., guess what ?, it works fine with outlook, but it seems pegasus mail
is a fool proof, full blown spam client, it ignores the whole thing...

What to do, how the h*ll can a client override my server ?

System: NT4S + OE 5 and Pegasus Mail for Windows 95/NT v3.11

Mailsystem: RH6 +
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/5799/qmail-uce-rpm.html

And yes, the e-mail accounts on the 2 different clients are identical.

--

Kindest Regards//Oden Eriksson CNE+MCSE
(Linux enthusiast)

Hello qmailers !

I managed to setup qmail using Adam McKennas HOWTO. It went well. Made
me happy cuz I'm kinda newbie. I can transfer mail remotely and local.
But the error message below just keeps appearing. What does it mean and
what shall I do to correct the error ?

cyclog: warning: unable to create @00000927481077, pausing: access
denied

Thank you !

-Per

You need to create the directories that cyclog is logging to, in this case
/var/log/qmail and /var/log/qmail-smtpd, and make them owned by qmaill

I'll add this to the howto..

--Adam

On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 07:38:22PM +0200, Per Birkeby wrote:
> Hello qmailers !
>
> I managed to setup qmail using Adam McKennas HOWTO. It went well. Made
> me happy cuz I'm kinda newbie. I can transfer mail remotely and local.
> But the error message below just keeps appearing. What does it mean and
> what shall I do to correct the error ?
>
> cyclog: warning: unable to create @00000927481077, pausing: access
> denied
>

> Thank you !
>
> -Per

Hello again,

I made the correction to /var/log/qmail as Adam pointed out.
I then restarted qmail...now it's not working. Seems like rblsmtpd
resets and does not accept connections anymore. I have not changed
anything but the ownership of the files in /var/log/qmail path......

I have no clue where to look.....heh...but not so clueless as I was with
sendmail.cf :)

Any suggestions ?

Best regards/Per

Look for my eliminate-dups code on www.qmail.org.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates

Scott D. Yelich writes:
 > Wha? Why so? Sendmail supresses dup addresses before sending.  It's a
 > very nice feature.

Scott, you really should go review the list archive before you open
your mouth.  This is an old topic that has been discussed to death.
Basically, sendmail does a CRAP job of suppressing duplicates (the
classical example is mail sent to both [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
[EMAIL PROTECTED]).  That qmail does not even attempt to do a lousy job
is a reflection of qmail's higher standards.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | an adult, not a perfect
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | child.

>Actually, I was just asking why couldn't qmail supress dupes on local
>addresses.

The real reason is because it's the wrong tool.

If you use procmail to deliver your mail, it's a two-line recipe to
check for duplicate message ID's and discard the duplicates.  That's
what I do, it's much more effective than what sendmail does and it
doesn't glop up the internals of the mail system.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,

Oden Eriksson writes:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > I just thought of something..., would'nt it be wise to put the qmail
 > queue dir on the same partition as the users home dirs ? I belive it
 > would speed up things a bit. What do you think ?

Put it on a whole different SCSI drive.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | an adult, not a perfect
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | child.

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 12:01:16PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

You could intercept all mail for the notes server, and stuff it into a
maildir, and then use serialmail to transfer the mail across, using
a single SMTP session. Everyone's happy.

--
System Administrator
See complete headers for address, homepage and phone numbers