qmail Digest 2 Jun 1999 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 659

Topics (messages 26168 through 26192):

qmail-pop3d adding extra lines to messagse  - turning it off?
        26168 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joerg Lenneis)
        26171 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail - Maildir webadministration
        26169 by: "Jacob Albers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26173 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Slight problem with Installation
        26170 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Questions about fastforward
        26172 by: Aaron Nabil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26178 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

problem delivering
        26174 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

qmail-pop3d adding extra lines to messagse  - turning it off
        26175 by: Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail, IMAP, and Maildir
        26176 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        26183 by: RaTao von J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26184 by: John Gonzalez/netMDC admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail queue + perl question
        26177 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26189 by: Rogerio Brito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail
        26179 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Owner users and permissions
        26180 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

...no mailbox...(#5.1.1) and other stuff
        26181 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26190 by: Wilson Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

migrating to sendmail in a different way.
        26182 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail virtual users package
        26185 by: Petru Paler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26192 by: Andre Oppermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

dynamic IP + maildirsmtp/remote dialup server solved.. one question
        26186 by: "Paul Gilmore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

/home/$USER/Mailbox  ->  /var/spool/mail/$USER
        26187 by: Diego Puertas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26188 by: "Tim Hunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

tcp wrappers and webmail
        26191 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Russell Nelson:

> Peter Schuller writes:
>> I want it off, because adding an extra line will screw up things like
>> potential PGP signatures (i.e. one cannot verify the message without first
>> manually removing a line).

> There's one line in qmail-pop3d.c that says:

>   put("\r\n.\r\n",5);

> Change it so it says:

>   put(".\r\n",5);

Wouldn't that be

        put(".\r\n",3);

[...]

--

Joerg Lenneis

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Joerg Lenneis writes:
 > Russell Nelson:
 >
 > > Peter Schuller writes:
 > >> I want it off, because adding an extra line will screw up things like
 > >> potential PGP signatures (i.e. one cannot verify the message without first
 > >> manually removing a line).
 >
 > > There's one line in qmail-pop3d.c that says:
 >
 > >   put("\r\n.\r\n",5);
 >
 > > Change it so it says:
 >
 > >   put(".\r\n",5);
 >
 > Wouldn't that be
 >
 >      put(".\r\n",3);

Yes, yes, no doubt.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates

Hi there

I need a Qmail webadministration (create pop3, account, aliases,
forwards etc.) for the Maildir package.
I have alot of virtual domains on the server so it has to be able to
run with that, and the users of those domains should be able to
use it too.

Anyone know of something like that ?

Jacob Albers

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 01:49:29PM +0200, Jacob Albers wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I need a Qmail webadministration (create pop3, account, aliases,
> forwards etc.) for the Maildir package.
> I have alot of virtual domains on the server so it has to be able to
> run with that, and the users of those domains should be able to
> use it too.
>
> Anyone know of something like that ?
>
> Jacob Albers

If you are using the vchkpw program try looking at qmailadmin
at http://www.inter7.com/qmailadmin/

It supports management of virtual domains:
 - pop accounts
 - aliases
 - forwards
 - autoresponders
 - mailing lists

Ken Jones
http://www.inter7.com/qmail/

"Viral H. Shah" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Could you please elaborate on this smtproutes that you have mentioned?
>Or if you could point me to a proper MAN page or document, it would be
>great. Thanks!

See:

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#smtproutes

(This works for all qmail control files) It doesn't give you the
complete documentation, but it does tell which man page to look in. Of
course, the qmail-control man page does that, too.

Basically, smtproutes is a table of entries that say "route mail to
this domain via this host". You can wildcard the domain.

-Dave

I've got qmail-1.03 + fastforward running on a test machine,
and it seems to deliver mail properly.  We have a big
/etc/aliases (from sendmail) and would like to continue to
use it.

My first question:  Unless I'm misreading the FM, ~alias/.qmail-default
(where fastforward gets invoked) is only used AFTER local lookup in
the system /etc/passwd fails.  Sendmail tests for an alias first,
so you can overide delivery to a local user by having an entry
pointing somewhere else.  Would I be correct in saying the only
way I could get an /etc/aliases lookup with fastforward for an
existing local user is to somehow disable their account, like by
chaning the ownership of their home directory?  Is there any other
way around this?

One common entry we have in our /etc/aliases is something like...

localuser:      localuser,[EMAIL PROTECTED]

so that a local user gets a copy of all of their email at work as
well as on our machine.  Is there some way to make this work in
fastforward? It would appear that since localuser is local and
has a deliverable home directory, it won't.

Another question is about file delivery.  We have a few entries
like this...

sales:  salespersona, salespersonb, /var/spool/sales-archive

since fastforward support program delivery, is there anything
obvious we could use (say, like binmail or procmail) to deliver
to that would keep a copy (mailbox styles, and provide some
locking to prevent multiple instances from stomping on each other)?

And the final question seems to have been asked many times on the
mailing list, but I haven't seen a concise answer.  Some of our
usernames (and aliases) have dashes (hypens) in them.  They seem
to work correctly in the password file (longest match) but not
/etc/aliases.  Can this be fixed by changing conf-break, to, say
a ":"?  What else will this effect?

Thanks!

(I'd appreciate it if you would CC me on any replies to the list.)

--
Aaron Nabil

Aaron Nabil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My first question:  Unless I'm misreading the FM, ~alias/.qmail-default
>(where fastforward gets invoked) is only used AFTER local lookup in
>the system /etc/passwd fails.

Correct, with the usual fastforward installation.

>Sendmail tests for an alias first,
>so you can overide delivery to a local user by having an entry
>pointing somewhere else.  Would I be correct in saying the only
>way I could get an /etc/aliases lookup with fastforward for an
>existing local user is to somehow disable their account, like by
>chaning the ownership of their home directory?  Is there any other
>way around this?

You could use qmail-users (which preempts actual users), and run
fastforward via a specified .qmail file. See:

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#qmail-users

>One common entry we have in our /etc/aliases is something like...
>
>localuser:     localuser,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>so that a local user gets a copy of all of their email at work as
>well as on our machine.  Is there some way to make this work in
>fastforward? It would appear that since localuser is local and
>has a deliverable home directory, it won't.

Unless you preempt the local user delivery using qmail-users.

>Another question is about file delivery.  We have a few entries
>like this...
>
>sales: salespersona, salespersonb, /var/spool/sales-archive
>
>since fastforward support program delivery, is there anything
>obvious we could use (say, like binmail or procmail) to deliver
>to that would keep a copy (mailbox styles, and provide some
>locking to prevent multiple instances from stomping on each other)?

How about a .qmail file? E.g., in ~alias/.qmail-sales-archive:

    ./sales-archive

Then your alias becomes:

    sales:      salespersona, salespersonb, sales-archive

>And the final question seems to have been asked many times on the
>mailing list, but I haven't seen a concise answer.  Some of our
>usernames (and aliases) have dashes (hypens) in them.  They seem
>to work correctly in the password file (longest match) but not
>/etc/aliases.

How do they not work in /etc/aliases?

>Can this be fixed by changing conf-break, to, say
>a ":"?

Probably...depending on what's "broken".

>What else will this effect?

User extension addresses will become "user:extension-address" rather
than "user-extension-address". Note: only the first "-" changes when
conf-break is changed.

-Dave

hey all, having an interesting problem with qmail, i've done 100 installs
of the thing but for some reason, this install won't deliver to Mailbox or
Maildir or anything of the like
i rm -rf'd /var/qmail, and recompiled and reinstalled, and this is what i
see when i 'echo to: xs|/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject':

mail:/var/log# tail -100 /var/log/log.mail |grep qmail
Jun  1 10:39:07 mail qmail: 928247947.324807 status: local 0/10 remote
0/20
Jun  1 10:39:47 mail qmail: 928247987.832885 new msg 127589
Jun  1 10:39:47 mail qmail: 928247987.834758 info msg 127589: bytes 217
from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 5007 uid 0
Jun  1 10:39:47 mail qmail: 928247987.916635 starting delivery 1: msg
127589 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Jun  1 10:39:47 mail qmail: 928247987.917293 status: local 1/10 remote
0/20

and thats it, nothing ever gets delivered, to me or anyone else.

any ideas?

-xs

end
+-------------------------
|Greg Albrecht  &&  KF4MKT
|Safari Internet  &&  Fort Lauderdale, FL
|www.safari.net  &&  (954)537-9550
+--
|"You can mount our Windows shares?!"
|-Sean @ AI
+--
|Are you on the FUUX list?
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+----------------------------

Using RH 6.0, latest Qmail, the Qmail-Imap RPM from qmail.org, and
a Maildir setup.

I've seen several questions about folder management not working in
the list, but no resolutions.  My clients create folders that appear in
their home directories.  These folders are not valid maildir folders
and can not be used.

Does this set up just not work yet?

Should I use:

Cyrus Imap with Maildir?

Dump Maildir and use Mailbox?

I love cyrus!

I never had a problem with it. works very weel with qmail. I'd suggest these two
.
folder management works fine (because you never get to use Mailbox or /Maildir,
you get cyrus mailboxes). with some scripting you'll get a 110% solution :)
...and you don't have to create unix account's if you don't want to.

regards,
ratao

On 01-Jun-99 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Using RH 6.0, latest Qmail, the Qmail-Imap RPM from qmail.org, and
> a Maildir setup.
>
> I've seen several questions about folder management not working in
> the list, but no resolutions.  My clients create folders that appear in
> their home directories.  These folders are not valid maildir folders
> and can not be used.
>
> Does this set up just not work yet?
>
> Should I use:
>
> Cyrus Imap with Maildir?
>
> Dump Maildir and use Mailbox?

----------------------------------
E-Mail: RaTao von J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 01-Jun-99   Time: 19:01:09
----------------------------------

We use the vmailmgrd package with russ/djb's maildir/qmail-pop3d and have
had no problems. Works beautifully, and you dont have to have an account
for the user on the box either.

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, RaTao von J wrote:

>I love cyrus!
>
>I never had a problem with it. works very weel with qmail. I'd suggest these two
>.
>folder management works fine (because you never get to use Mailbox or /Maildir,
>you get cyrus mailboxes). with some scripting you'll get a 110% solution :)
>...and you don't have to create unix account's if you don't want to.
>
>regards,
>ratao
>
>On 01-Jun-99 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Using RH 6.0, latest Qmail, the Qmail-Imap RPM from qmail.org, and
>> a Maildir setup.
>>
>> I've seen several questions about folder management not working in
>> the list, but no resolutions.  My clients create folders that appear in
>> their home directories.  These folders are not valid maildir folders
>> and can not be used.
>>
>> Does this set up just not work yet?
>>
>> Should I use:
>>
>> Cyrus Imap with Maildir?
>>
>> Dump Maildir and use Mailbox?
>
>----------------------------------
>E-Mail: RaTao von J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 01-Jun-99   Time: 19:01:09
>----------------------------------

  _    __   _____      __   _________
______________  /_______ ___  ____  /______  John Gonzalez/Net.Tech
__  __ \ __ \  __/_  __ `__ \/ __  /_  ___/ MDC Computers/netMDC!
_  / / / `__/ /_  / / / / / / /_/ / / /__ (505)437-7600/fax-437-3052
/_/ /_/\___/\__/ /_/ /_/ /_/\__,_/  \___/ http://www.netmdc.com
[---------------------------------------------[system info]-----------]
 12:00pm  up 116 days, 19:03,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00

Wilson Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The FAQ says this:
>
>7.3. How do I rejuvenate a message? Somebody broke into Eric's computer
>... I see it sitting here
>in /var/qmail/queue/mess/15/26902...
>
>Answer: Just touch /var/qmail/queue/info/15/26902. (This is the only
>form of queue modification that's safe while qmail is running.)
>
>BUT it doesn't give any indication of how the author actually knew that
>/var/qmail/queue/info/15/26902 was the message in question or how he/she
>knew to look in .../queue/info/15/ for it.

find /var/qmail/queue -type f -exec grep "some unique string" {} /dev/null \;

Will search the queue for "some unique string" (could be a message-id
or eric's e-mail address). That'll give you the message number (the
26902 part) as well as the split directory (the 15 part).

-Dave

On Jun 01 1999, Wilson Fletcher wrote:
> The FAQ says this:
>
> 7.3. How do I rejuvenate a message? Somebody broke into Eric's computer
                                               ^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
(...)

        Haha! Anytime I read the FAQ I ROTFL, man! And I keep seeing
        people complaining about the documentation on qmail not being
        appropriate... :-) Really, how could it be any better? :-) You
        even have a good time reading it... :-)

        []s, Roger...

  Rogerio Brito - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/
  (still an) Ugrad. Comp. Science student - "Windows? Linux and X!"
     Nectar homepage: http://www.linux.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/opeth/

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>mail.isp.at  <-- dial-up -->  smiley.mydomain.at  <-- LAN -->
>hercules.mydomain.at
>smiley runs qmail on linux
>hercules runs MS-Exchange on NT
>
>Can anyone tell me what control files I need to setup this scenario ?

smtproutes:

    .mydomain.at:hercules.mydomain.at
    mydomain.at:hercules.mydomain.at
    :mail.isp.at

rcpthosts:

    .mydomain.at
    mydomain.at

Should do it.

-Dave

Ferhat Doruk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>May anyone give all qmail entire directory/file exact permissions structure?
>I meant what are the least perrmissions and owner users and groups of all
>files and sub directories under /var/qmail according the fully operational
>qmail and security point of view. My POP3 connection handling user is popcu.
>Thanks for your answers.

Why not do a "make check"?

-Dave

Wilson Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So what should the [home directory] permissions be for effective
>operation.

Home directories should be owned and writable by the user, and not
writable by group or world.

See:

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#home-dir-mode

>Also, I see a lot of soap box speeches but are there any good references
>that explain why sendmail etc. suck and qmail is supposedly so good ? A
>comparative study would be good.

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#whyuseit
    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#comparison

-Dave

Thanks I'll read the references. I have already read lwq (as well as a
number of FAQs all the INSTALL notes and sundry other things)

On Tuesday, June 01, 1999 5:45 PM, Dave Sill [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
wrote:
> Wilson Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >So what should the [home directory] permissions be for effective
> >operation.
>
> Home directories should be owned and writable by the user, and not
> writable by group or world.

Yes I do remember reading that. What about the /home itself ? ie. I gather
it needs to be 755 ? (or is it 711 ?) ie. in general I don't really like
setting any world privileges for anything.

Engineer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have made the tar of mail directory and shifted it to the new machine
>with the same passwd file and alias file. Now mailboxes are there at
>/var/spool/mail of new machine .
>
>Now how would I configure qmail in this term . I had already made qmail
>to deliver local and international mail at its default format now I
>would like to sense my users email boxes .
>
>I don't want mails at /usr/var/spool/mail since it makes quite slow
>(qmail documentation says) . I want to use qmail at its best any idea
>with its orginality??

Stop qmail, then move the mailboxes from /var/spool/mail to the users
home directories using something like:

cd /var/spool/mail
for i in *; do
    mv $i ~$i/Mailbox   # or "mv $i /home/$i/Mailbox"
done

-Dave

     Hi,

  In your opinion, which solution is the best for implementing a virtual
mail user environment with qmail on linux ? The requirements are:
1. There should be no real users added to the system (averthing on one
uid)
2. There shoul be easyly manageable by web
3. It should implement disk quotas

   I tried qmail-ldap but I had a lot of trouble setting it up and it
still does not work (I am using SPARC linux, it's probably something
related to endianess).

Thank you.

---
Keep your mouth shut and people will think you stupid;
Open it and you remove all doubt.

Petru Paler wrote:

>      Hi,
>
>   In your opinion, which solution is the best for implementing a virtual
> mail user environment with qmail on linux ? The requirements are:
> 1. There should be no real users added to the system (averthing on one
> uid)
> 2. There shoul be easyly manageable by web
> 3. It should implement disk quotas
>
>    I tried qmail-ldap but I had a lot of trouble setting it up and it
> still does not work (I am using SPARC linux, it's probably something
> related to endianess).

Can you help us to debug the problem?

--
Andre

qmail-ldap

I am using diald to control my modem. So I just let diald hang up itself
after all the connections have closed.

--Paul