Do you really get 2 tcpserver processes, or is one the supervise process
and the second the tcpserver process?  Do you have a tcpserver entry in
the rc script?

Could you include the ps output that leads you to believe you have 2
tcpserver processes?

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, [iso-8859-1] "Günthner, Ralf" wrote:

> Hi list
>
> Here's a puzzling riddle: I implemented qmail 1.03 along with tcpserver
> and daemontools, using the HOW-TO  and the sample startup-script from
> Adam D. McKennas page.
>
> When I issue "qmail stop",  all processes die. If I issue "qmail start"
> everything is fine, for one exception: I get TWO tcpserver processes
> forked by the supervised tcpserver process from the init script.
>
> What can be the reason for this behavior?
>
> The script looks like this:
>
> !/bin/sh
> #
> # /etc/init.d/qmail : start or stop the qmail mail subsystem.
> #
> # Written by Christian Hudon
> # fixed by Adam McKenna :p
>
> PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/var/qmail/bin
> USERID=33334    # CHANGE THIS TO YOUR QMAILD UID!!!
> GROUPID=333  # CHANGE THIS TO YOUR NOFILES GID!!!
>
> case "$1" in
>     start)
>         echo -n "Starting mail-transfer agent: qmail"
>         ulimit -v 2048
>
>         csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &'
>
>         supervise /var/lock/qmail-smtpd tcpserver -v -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
>  -u$USER
> ID -g$GROUPID 0 25 \
>         qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | setuser qmaill accustamp | \
>         setuser qmaill cyclog -s5000000 -n5 /var/log/qmail &
>
>         echo "."
>         ;;
>     stop)
>         echo -n "Stopping mail-transfer agent: qmail"
>         killall -TERM qmail-send
>         svc -dx /var/lock/qmail-smtpd
>  echo "."
>         ;;
>     restart)
>         $0 stop
>         $0 start
>         ;;
>     reload|force-reload)
>         echo "Reloading 'locals' and 'virtualdomains' control files."
>         start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --oknodo --signal HUP --exec
> /usr/sbin/
> qmail-send
>         ;;
>     *)
>         echo 'Usage: /etc/init.d/qmail {start|stop|restart|reload}'
>         exit 1
> esac
>
> exit 0
>

> I am at a loss here...Any hint would be highly appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Ralf

Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Administrator
localconnect(sm)
http://www.localconnect.net/

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/