On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 08:37:33AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ever night since I sent up my qmail pop server it has crashed sometime
> during the night.  There is no/very little traffic on the machine and
> the machine did not reboot during the nights. The startup scripts in
> rc work fine. I'm running linux redhat 5.2. Has anyone experienced
> anything like this?
>
> Because I cannot get logging working with pop, I have no information
> from the server itself. BTW, if tcpserver/qmail can log to syslog,
> why can't tcpserver/pop3d?  Because of the lack of logging and its

Sure it can. Just pipe the stderr of tcpserver to "logger", which is a
program available on many unix system to do logging at a chosen facility
and tag, something like:

tcpserver -v -..... qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 | logger -t mail.info

> instability on my machine I'm thinking of using qpopper instead. Is
> qpopper a good alternative?

qpopper is too slow, in my opinion, because it makes a copy of the mailbox
before it serves mail, and also it needs to start from inetd. Consider
cucipop instead: very fast, small and has some nifty little features.

--
System Administrator
See complete headers for address, homepage and phone numbers