On 6 Jun 1999 13:23:01 -0400, John R. Levine wrote:

>>>I've heard good things about RRSS (<URL:http://relays.radparker.com/>)
and
>>>the person running it certainly seems to be much calmer and more
>>>professional about it.
>>
>>I saw this site mentioned on the Tidbits Talk list about a week ago. I
>>took a look, and I didn't see anything very useful. It looked to me like
>>Vixie RBL clone, only listing sites that had already spammed. I rarely
get
>>RBL hits, and would guess that RRSS hits would be equally as rare.
>
>On the contrary, I get scads of delivery attempts from hosts in RRSS.
>
>RRSS is like ORBS in that when an IP is nominated, it sends a relay
>test and adds the host immediately if the relay test succeeds.  This
>can take as little as a minute or two.  Many sites, including mine,
>have spam trap addresses set up to automatically send nominations to
>RRSS whenever spam arrives from an unknown address, meaning that a new
>relay is typically listed within a few minutes of starting a spam run.

But how is this different from Vixie RBL, except for the openness check?
Or are you saying that if a site does spam but turns out not to be open it
doesn't get listed?

>>The usefulness of ORBS to me has always been that they do list sites that
>>have never spammed but are open to abuse.
>
>That's part of the problem -- the vast majority of hosts in ORBS have
>never relayed any spam and never will, and I hope we agree that the
>goal is not to block legitimate non-spam mail.  RRSS lists actual open
>spam relays, and gets them in promptly.

Yes, that is the problem with ORBS. So many of the sites that we get
legitimate mail from, including universities, other NASA sites, and ISP's
both national and regional, are in the ORBS that I have a large list of
sites permitted to tunnel through, and I have to keep a close eye on my
logs. Maybe I will dump ORBS and give RRSS a try.

http://iecc.com/johnl,
>Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

--------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693