I have set up qmail-1.03 on a server with linux 2.2.5-15 (RedHat 6.0) AND
shadow passwords (19990307). PLEASE NOTE - SHADOW PASSWORDS.

A local Win98 workstation here is running Eudora 4.1 has been
configured correctly to go to that server and attempt to access pop email.

I followed the instructions in the FAQ for part 5.3 including
adding checkpassword to the /bin directory, changing the line in
/etc/inetd.conf and also ran maildirmake Maildir from the shell prompt.

In the user's HOME directory. I checked ownership and the three
directories cur, new and tmp inside the Maildir all belong to the user and
the group users. the Maildir also has the same ownership and group.

The same WIN98 workstation can connect to the same server with netscape
communicator mail system using pop and does not have any errors.

I receive always the same message from the server running qmail
1.03(using eudora):

There has been an error transferring your mail. I said:
   PASS <shhhh! Don't tell anyone>
and then POP server [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   ERR authorization failed

             This message was followed by;

Error reading from network

         Cause: connection reset by remote side 10054

Any suggestions for solutions to correct this problem as soon as
possible, would be greatly appreciated. Please be very specific
and explicit in your responses.
Thanks in advance,

Stephan Morand