On Fri 1999-06-04 (10:54), Don Rose wrote:
> I know this has been posted in the past, but I can't figure it out for the
> life of me.  Here's what I'm trying to do:
>
> Take a username and password from user entry (CGI script).
> Check it against the master password database.
>
> I have tried the command-line solution given on the qmail.org homepage,
> but I can't make it work.  Here's been my try so far :
>
> I have printed the string "user\000password\000Y123456\000" into a file
> using a perl script, so it turns the \000 into the null character
> checkpassword is looking for (I believe.  I then pass the file to
> checkpassword like so :
>
> /bin/checkpassword /bin/id 3<test.file

I've been here before. I tried every possible combination of that test that I
could think of until I discovered that on my FreeBSD and Linux systems id is
in /usr/bin/id rather than /bin/id. Perhaps you're having the same problem.

> Just like it says on the page.  This results in nothing happening, hence I
> take it the password is not being accepted even though it is correct.  I
> am running on FreeBSD 3.1, and checkpassword works with the qmail install
> I have, so I know my version works.  But I need to be able to use it from
> the command line, or at least something other than qmail-popup.  It is the
> most secure way of checking a password by a non-root application I can
> think of, and that is allowed by my boss.  can someone help me out please?
> Thanks.

  - Keith
--
Keith Burdis - MSc (Com Sci) - Rhodes University, South Africa
Email   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from a perl script"

Standard disclaimer.
---