> Tonight I was thinking that the Firewall could be the problem when a
> Firewall Techie told me that he has seen this problem before and
> suggested that it is the mail server doing a reverse-IDENT and the
> Firewall is blocking it (both internally and externally) and the default
> timeout is about 30 SECONDS........sounds like to solution.
> And how do I stop it or change the timeout to be 1 second if possible?

    You are correct in deducing that the 30 second delay is an ident
timeout.

    The solution is to either open up Ident on the firewall or turn off the
ident lookup.  If you're using tcpserver (ucspi), there are several options:

       -r     (Default.)   Attempt  to  obtain TCPREMOTEINFO from
              the remote host.

       -R     Do not attempt to  obtain  TCPREMOTEINFO  from  the
              remote host.

       -ttimeout
              Give  up  on  the  TCPREMOTEINFO connection attempt
              after timeout seconds. Default: 26.

    If you're not using tcpserver, check the manual for whatever you're
using (inetd?).

--
    gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]