> On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 08:58:57AM -0700, Brandon Dudley wrote:
> >
> > Hi! I'm experiencing an interesting error with an account on my RH6.0
> > box. When he tries to send email to anyone remotely (to anyone from his
> > account), he gets the following error at the time he types in send:
> >
> > aphrael at burble.org: loses; [USER] 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my lis
   >t of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
> >
> > He is using mh 6.7.1 in this case, although it happens with any mailer. He
   >is
> > trying, in this case, to email his acct. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > The contents of my locals and rcpthosts are the same:
> >
> > localhost
> > adsl-216-100-35-70.dsl.pacbell.net (DNS reverse entry)
> > discontent.com (domain name)
> > misanthrope.discontent.com (contents of "me")
> >
> > and I know from reading the FAQ that rcpthosts is where the error is occurr
   >ing.
> > The strange part is that I use the exact configuration in my own acct and h
   >ave
> > never experienced this error. I have read all the relevant man pages, but
> > cannot find if there is a specific enviroment variable that is being set
> > somewhere to cause this, or if its another thing altogether.
> >
> > I am using qmail1.03 and tcpserver (no rules tho), and we are using shell
> > accounts so it's not a problem with a POP client.
> >
> > Any hints or advice would be appreciated. The only fix I have found so far
   >is
> > to remove rcpthosts altogether, which for obvious reasons I don't want to
> > continue to do.
>
> That "domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)" message will onl
> ever result from mail injected by SMTP. Therefore, whatever MUA he's using is
> using SMTP to send mail. You'll either have to set up some tcprules to allow
> relaying from 127.0.0.1 (this user is using a shell account, right?), or he'l
> have to use a different MUA or configure his MUA to use qmail's fake sendmail
> instead of SMTP to inject mail.

That certainly must be the case - I haven't checked to see if that's how MH
works.

The funny thing is that I use the same MUA from the same machine under my own
account, without experiencing the error. Therefore it seems to be specific to
his own account, as opposed to a general misconfiguration error, as I access
the machine the same way that he does, just from a different ISP

Darned if I could figure out what that may be, though. I will start to diff
all of our dot files for mh, tho I'm sure I won't find anything different.

Brandon