James in order of your asking...

I would use mutt to send and receive mail from the command line.. if you
are using X, I would use Netscape Mail, but you have to have the server
configured properly for SMTP and POP (or IMAP) first. I'd stick with mutt
to start.

Assuming you are using RedHat Linux (we really don't know do we?) you
should look in
/var/log/messages for the syslog  and /var/log/maillog for the mail logs.

type tail /var/log/maillog to see the last entries in the maillog, or
type tail -f /var/log/maillog to continuously update log list in a virtual
terminal

James, you may not want to hear this, but here goes:

You need to spend MANY hours reading documentation.

look in /usr/doc/HOWTO and /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini and read everything there.

Also look at http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/mirrors.html for a mirror to the
Linux documentation project.

Administering a mail server is a complex task. It is not something that
most people can learn to do in a few hours... it takes time. On top of
that, administering ANY unix box is also complex and all of the
documentation for various mail systems assumes at least a minimal amount of
knowlege about basic system administration. I've only been doing this stuff
for a few years and I learn stuff everyday. That's why I subscribe to (and
read) these mailing lists.

Take a look at Dave Sill's "Living With Qmail"
http://web.infoave.net/~dsill/lwq.htm

Something that may or may not be obvious is the fact that ~ is interepreted
by the system as home directory. For instance ~robbie on my box means
/home/robbie , but ~root  stands for /root
because the home directories are different. You should also read (and try
to understand) all the man pages that come with qmail.

Good luck, Qmail is a MUCH better system than sendmail, but it (just like
sendmail) requires a lot of doc reading (and understanding) to work
effectively. If you don't believe me, jog down to the local Barnes & Noble
and take a look at the O'Reilly & Assoc. Sendmail book... it's over 1000
pages. This "ain't rocket science" but it's not baking cookies either! :)

At 11:37 PM 6/9/99 , you wrote:
>I know this is going to seem incredibly dumb.. but now that I have
>installed qmail, is there some kind of interface I can use to send and
>receive email?  Would I be wanting to use pine?  What mail clients are
>there for qmail that I might want to look into?
>
>One other thing, in the TEST.deliver file, it suggests I look for a
>specific line in the "syslog".. where is the syslog?  Also, it suggests I
>send a mail to myself, then check for it in my mailbox.. where IS the
>mailbox?  Does it mean in Pine?  Thanks again.
>
>james

NovaMetrix Development
Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck

P.O. Box 635 or 910-653-4006
106-B S. Main St        800-773-5647
Tabor City, NC 28463    910-653-2052 FAX