qmail Digest 16 Jun 1999 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 673

Topics (messages 26640 through 26735):

[Fwd: Mailbox Quota]
        26640 by: Diana Dewi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail alias and ms-exchange
        26641 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Axel Trocha)

tool for verifying addresses
        26642 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Official license
        26643 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Blocking ExploreZip
        26644 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26686 by: "Mark E. Drummond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26688 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26722 by: "Peter van der Landen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail, retrieveing POP3 and delivering
        26645 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Relay
        26646 by: Dimitri SZAJMAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26648 by: Anand Buddhdev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Alias & virtual domains
        26647 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Vacation Package + /var/qmail/users/assign ..
        26649 by: "Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26654 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26660 by: "Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26663 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26687 by: "Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26689 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26715 by: "Peter Samuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26729 by: Tomasz Papszun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26730 by: "Peter Samuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Competition to qmail ...again
        26650 by: Amit Vadehra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26653 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26655 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John R. Levine)

alias directory owner, group, permissions
        26651 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26657 by: "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26661 by: "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26662 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26664 by: "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26665 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

binmail
        26652 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

NFS Mounts
        26656 by: "Justin M. Streiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26658 by: Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26666 by: Richard Roderick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Q: qmail + IMAP
        26659 by: Eric Shafto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

reply messages...
        26667 by: Ana Belén Santos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26669 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26701 by: Giles Lean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Extremely slow email delivery.
        26668 by: Neil Aggarwal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26670 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26671 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26672 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26673 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26674 by: Pavel Kankovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26675 by: Pavel Kankovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26677 by: Tomasz Papszun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26679 by: "Timothy L. Mayo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26680 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26682 by: Tomasz Papszun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26684 by: Tomasz Papszun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

How to tune the queue processing speed ?
        26676 by: Romain Guilleret <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26681 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26690 by: Richard Letts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail-smtp and MUA's speed
        26678 by: Bill Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26691 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Virtual Mail Setup
        26683 by: Richard Roderick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26696 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26700 by: Richard Roderick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bouncing..
        26685 by: "Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26692 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail, IMAP, and Maildir
        26693 by: Christian Wiese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26694 by: John Gonzalez/netMDC admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26695 by: Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26697 by: John Gonzalez/netMDC admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26699 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26704 by: Jeff Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bug in rewriting of sender address?
        26698 by: "David Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26705 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26708 by: "David Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26710 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26711 by: Stefan Paletta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26713 by: "David Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26716 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26718 by: "David Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Virtual Mail
        26702 by: "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26733 by: Pedro Melo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail + Maildir + procmail
        26703 by: "Mark E. Drummond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Problems with CGIs and Return-Path
        26706 by: "Jordan Krushen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26707 by: Stefan Paletta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26709 by: "Jordan Krushen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

using qmail
        26712 by: "Stephen Lavelle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26714 by: "Julian L.C. Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26717 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Disk Quotas
        26719 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        26723 by: Anand Buddhdev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ANNOUNCE: fastforward-idx
        26720 by: "David Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Query regarding discovering why a qmail-remote fails
        26721 by: Jason Haar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Suggestion: qmail-unqueue
        26724 by: "Peter van der Landen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26725 by: Jos Backus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26726 by: "Peter van der Landen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26728 by: Jos Backus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        26727 by: System Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

filtering
        26731 by: System Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

List Unsubscribe
        26732 by: "Kory Lasker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

virtual domain serious help
        26734 by: System Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Another question about reply messages...
        26735 by: Ana Belén Santos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,
You can edit mailquotacheck.sh (Paul Gregg's) with

quota=5120 **Quota mailbox 5MB**

$dir="/home/vpop/domains/$USER/$EXT"

and in your /home/vpop/domains/abc.com/.qmail-default :

|mailquotacheck.sh /home/vpop/domains/abc.com/$POPUSERS/Maildir/

If you want set quota for each individual mailbox (2MB),

/home/vpop/domains/abc.com/kelvin/.quota

and in .quota is :

2048

I hope it can help you.

Thank's
-=Diana Dewi=-
--
PT. Dyviacom Intrabumi (D~Net)
Menara Batavia Lt. 6

At 09:26 PM 6/14/99 -0400, Kelvin Koh wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am using vchkpw, my email directories are as follows:
>
>/home/vpop/domains/blah.org/ , /home/vpop/domains/abc.com
>
>Recently, there is a need to set a 5mb quota to all mailboxes in my
>system. Using Paul Gregg's mailquotacheck script, I tried to accomplish
>the task. It didn't work; running the script in
>/home/vpop/domains/abc.com/.qmail-default will limit the abc.com up to
>5mb of space for all emails together.
>
>How can I set the quota for each individual mailbox? I wish to use a
>single UID/GID for my email system only. Please advice.
>
>Thanks,
>Kelvin Koh
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -- 0 1 - just my 2 bits. --

begin:vcard
n:Dewi;Diana
tel;fax:62-21-5727212
tel;home:62-21-52960183
tel;work:62-21-5727218
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:PT. Dyviacom Intrabumi;Network Operation Centre Department
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Network Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Menara Batavia Lt. 6=0D=0AJl. KH. Mas Mansyur Kav.126	=0D=0A;Jakarta;;10220;Indonesia
x-mozilla-cpt:;2
fn:Diana Dewi
end:vcard

Dear List-Members,

I am new to that list since I got a problem which I do not seem to get
solved. Searching the list archive did not present a solution
eventhough I think that my problem is already known.

I am running qmail-1.03. So far everything worked fine. Today I
figured out that an Exchange-Server is not able to recognize my qmail
aliases. Exchange returns the unsent email with something like: "did
not reach the following recipient(s)" or "receipient not unkown" (I
translated those messages from German to English so they might differ
a little)
Everything works fine when sending from another server using sendmail
or qmail.

Please help,
regards,
Axel

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> I'm finding that the larger and more complex my qmail setup becomes, the
> more difficult it is for me to trace the path an address follows through
> the qmail system. With sendmail/exim, there is the -bt command line option,
> which tells us whether the address will be treated as local or remote, and
> if remote, what MXs will be looked at, and if local, whether it will be
> delivered to a maildir, mbox or pipe, without actually delivering a
> message.

You're welcome to qmail-expand, which I wrote for the same reason.  It
doesn't do things completely correctly (e.g., it looks users up in
users/assign instead of users/cdb), but it works for the way I use qmail.
See
        http://silverlock.dgim.crc.ca/~terskine/qmail/qmail-expand

[snip]

--
"Life is much too important to be taken seriously."
Thomas Erskine        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        (613) 998-2836

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I'm looking for an official license for QMail.  I can't
>seem to find it on the qmail.org web site, or in the
>qmail tarball.  Any pointers?

http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#license

-Dave

Mark Drummond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Please excuse my stundedness but here is my /var/qmail/rc:
>
>#!/bin/sh
>
># Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
># Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Maildir/ by default.
>
>exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
>qmail-start | bouncesaying VIRUS awk '/^Subject: hello/{exit 0}/^$/{exit
>1}END{exit 0}' \
>./Maildir/ splogger qmail
>
>I know there is an error in here, but what.

The problem is that the entire "aliasemtpy": the part from "|
bouncesaying" through "./Maildir/" needs to be passed to qmail-start
as a single argument. This is tricky because there are multiple levels
of shell quoting required. Luckily, there are only two levels of
quoting required, and the shell supports two different types of string
quotes (' and "). This (untested) ought to work:

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start "| bouncesaying VIRUS awk '/^Subject: hello/{exit 0}/^$/{exit
1}END{exit 0}' \
./Maildir/" splogger qmail

If that doesn't work, I'd put the aliasemtpy commands in a file, say
/var/qmail/control/aliasemtpy, and use:

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start `cat /var/qmail/control/aliasempty` splogger qmail

Note: those are backquotes (`), not single quotes (').

>Should there really be a pipe in there?

Yes.

>If so, how does qmail-start see the ./Maildir/ ?

It's on a separate line. aliasemtpy follows dot-qmail rules, and can
contain multiple delivery instructions.

-Dave

Quick question, I am looking at "The BIG Qmail PICTURE" doc that shows
the path of messages through the system. Do the mods to rc affect _all_
messages (local to local and remote to local) or just remote to local?

Mark E Drummond                    Royal Military College of Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                Computing Services
Linux Uber Alles                                        perl || die

       ...there are two types of command interfaces in the world of
                    computing: good interfaces and user interfaces.
                                   - Dan Bernstein, Author of qmail

PGP Fingerprint = 503D A72D AF41 2AD1 D433 C514 98D9 9A39 B25A 2405

"Mark E. Drummond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Quick question, I am looking at "The BIG Qmail PICTURE" doc that shows
>the path of messages through the system. Do the mods to rc affect _all_
>messages (local to local and remote to local) or just remote to local?

The "aliasemtpy" delivery instructions in rc affect *only* deliveries
to local addresses, and *only* local deliveries that don't go through
a .qmail file, but it doesn't matter whether they originate locally or
remotely.

-Dave

>There is much interest here in the idea of blocking email carrying
>ExploreZip so we don't have to rely on end-user intelligence(?!) to
>prevent an infestation. I realise that sticking filters into the pipe
>like this is not necessarily as good idea but nonetheless ...

I have my mailserver set up using McAfee's Unix uvscan program on a Linux
x86 server. Each user has a .qmail file that contains something like (this
is mine):

| condredirect [EMAIL PROTECTED] virscan
| deliver landen

Virscan is a homebrew Perl script that extracts Mime attachments, unpacks
archives & uses uvscan on the resulting files. If uvscan finds anything the
mail is redirected to the quarantine mailbox. It seems to be working pretty
well (catches about a dozen viruses a day, mostly Ethan.A) even though there
are some omissions. We use the Cyrus IMAPD server so messages are delivered
to the user's mailbox with 'deliver'. The McAfee DAT files are automatically
updated from their ftp server, so it basically runs itself (well almost).

Regards,
Peter van der Landen
Erasmus University Rotterdam

"Steven Klass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In light of what you said and the reading that I just did, please verify the
>following is true.  Unless my ISP (speedchoice.com) changes _thier_ MX
>tables, I cannot do this.

Not necessarily. You said you have a static IP address. Presumably
that has an associated domain name, e.g., klass.speedchoice.com. If
you want to receive mail on klass.speedchoice.com, then you need to
check to see if klass.speedchoice.com has an MX record.

>If I wanted to this thier MX tables would somehow
>(??)  have to change.

Their DNS administrator would have to do that.

>This brings me to DNS, and if I wanted to run a DNS
>server, then I should be able to do it?

Sure. It's almost certainly not necessary, but you could do it.

>Sorry if I sound really wacked, I am trying to not jsut configure
>this, but to really understand it too.  Thanks so much.

No problem.

-Dave

Hi !

I am using ucspi to accept relaying for a certain class of IP. I recently
added a new class in /etc/tcp.smtp but qmail doesnt relay for this class. I
think I have to "compile" this file, but how (like m4 with sendmail I
suppose)...

Thank you !

Cordialement,

Dimitri SZAJMAN - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Besoin d'aide ? Envoyez un e-mail a [EMAIL PROTECTED]

           Xon-Xoff - http://www.Xon-Xoff.fr

man tcprules

--
Anand

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I have just set up my server as a virtual domains. It works great. The
>only problem is the alias system. It doesn't work anymore.

If aliasing broke, the virtual domains don't "work great". :-)

Tell us exactly what you did. Include qmail-showctl output.

>I hardly found any doc about that. Any pointer or help are welcome.

There's always Life with qmail:

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#aliases

>In my virtualdomains file:
>myserver.domain1.com:domain1-com

OK, that says mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] will be delivered
locally to domain1-com-foo, which is probably handled by
~alias/.qmail-domain1-com-foo or ~alias/.qmail-domain1-default.

>What format to use for using the ~alias system?

See the LWQ reference above. The files are in dot-qmail format.

>I tried to add in virtualdomains:
>
>myserver.domain1.com:domain1-com
>myserver.domain1.com:alias-user

Each domain should (can?) only be virtualized once. What exactly are
you trying to accomplish?

-Dave

Hey, the way i have my mail server sat op is one user acount and the the
aliases resides in /var/qmail/users/assign - how do i get the vacation
package to work with this?..

drawout from assign: =alias:user:uid:gid:/mai/user:::

..

#Daniel.

"Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hey, the way i have my mail server sat op is one user acount and the the
>aliases resides in /var/qmail/users/assign - how do i get the vacation
>package to work with this?..
>
>drawout from assign: =alias:user:uid:gid:/mai/user:::

Run "|/var/qmail/bin/preline vacation" from /mai/user/.qmail.

-Dave

that works, but only with user - not with the aliases..

Dave Sill wrote:

> "Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Hey, the way i have my mail server sat op is one user acount and the the
> >aliases resides in /var/qmail/users/assign - how do i get the vacation
> >package to work with this?..
> >
> >drawout from assign: =alias:user:uid:gid:/mai/user:::
>
> Run "|/var/qmail/bin/preline vacation" from /mai/user/.qmail.
>
> -Dave

"Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Dave Sill wrote:
>> "Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >Hey, the way i have my mail server sat op is one user acount and the the
>> >aliases resides in /var/qmail/users/assign - how do i get the vacation
>> >package to work with this?..
>> >
>> >drawout from assign: =alias:user:uid:gid:/mai/user:::
>>
>> Run "|/var/qmail/bin/preline vacation" from /mai/user/.qmail.
>>
>> -Dave
>
>that works, but only with user - not with the aliases..

All qmail-users does is tell qmail where to look for .qmail file
associated with an address.

Your assignment:

     =alias:user:uid:gid:/mai/user:::

says to deliver mail addressed to "alias" to /mai/user/.qmail.

If you're claiming that's not happening, you'll have to tell us what
*is* happening if we're supposed to help.

-Dave

I'm using the Specefic, only ive modified it a bit to look like this:

qmail-start ./.mail/Mailbox splogger qmail

so .. the .qmail file should maybe be in .mailbox??..let see... nope,

made a symlink from /home/user/.qmail to /home/user/.mail/.qmail no effect..

Date: 15 Jun 1999 17:39:23 -0000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at moko.lodz.tpsa.pl.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
206.168.141.2 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... User unknown
Giving up on 206.168.141.2.

Seems that the domain JAMMConsulting.com is not properly serviced by DNS,
i.e. the MX record should not direct to pop.DenverOnline.com but to
neil86.august.net.

--

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 at 14:11:15 -0400, Dave Sill wrote:
> Tomasz Papszun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Dave Sill wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have mail.JAMMConsulting.com in locals and recphosts?
> >
> >Yes, but what for?
>
> Because mail.JAMMConsulting.com is a designated mail echanger for
> JAMMConsulting.com, and someone might send mail to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sure, I know a cause generally. That's why I've got in my locals and
rcpthosts moko.lodz.tpsa.pl and www.lodz.tpsa.pl and lodz.tpsa.pl :-) .
I meant _this_ particular case, see below.

> >A host mail.JAMMConsulting.com doesn't exist.
>
> It's a valid domain name pointing to real hardware. In what sense does
> it not exist?

In such sense:

moko:~$ host mail.JAMMConsulting.com
mail.JAMMConsulting.com does not exist (Authoritative answer)

Even when I ask the authoritative nameserver:

moko:~$ host mail.JAMMConsulting.com ns.DenverOnline.com
mail.JAMMConsulting.com does not exist at ns.DenverOnline.com
(Authoritative answer)

Cheers
--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.

Sorry if this has already been answered in this list, I couldn't find
anything on it.

I am trying to cope with the average 45minutes delay between mail
reception and delivery under very light load.
Is there any option to configure this in a control file, or do I need to
go through the sources to find out ?

Thanks for pointing me to the adequate direction.

Romain Guilleret

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I am trying to cope with the average 45minutes delay between mail
>reception and delivery under very light load.
>Is there any option to configure this in a control file, or do I need to
>go through the sources to find out ?

You probably need to set control/deliverydelay to 0.

ha, ha, just kidding. In normal operation, with a light load, qmail
delivers nearly instantaneously. Certainly in a matter of seconds, not
minutes.

Check the received headers and logs to see where the delay is
occurring.

-Dave

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Romain Guilleret wrote:

> Sorry if this has already been answered in this list, I couldn't find
> anything on it.
>
> I am trying to cope with the average 45minutes delay between mail
> reception and delivery under very light load.
> Is there any option to configure this in a control file, or do I need to
> go through the sources to find out ?

you've copied /var/qmail/queue using tar probbaly.

> Thanks for pointing me to the adequate direction.

check the permissions of the trigger file:

prw--w--w-   1 qmails   qmail  0 Jun 15 19:55 /var/qmail/queue/lock/trigger

aside: this is such a common error I'm not entirely clear why qmail-start
doesn't delete the pipe and recreate it with the right permissions when it
starts. it'd save many new users of qmail problems.

RjL
The problems of the world    ||  Fax:   +44 870 0521198
can't be solved by fixing    ||  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
the working -- C. Daniluk    ||  Phone: +44 385 275 394

Hello all,

        I am running qmail with tcpserver, and want to know if there is
any way to make qmail respond faster to smtp/pop3d requests other than
going through a DNS lookup...As I do not currently run my own DNS and
get DNS through UUNET, would it be faster if I ran my own DNS for this,
or is there another way to accomplish this task...

        It would seem to me that if LAN based clients (95/98/NT, etc)
should be able to inject mail into the linux box w/o a DNS check, but
in reading various material, I understand this is not possible in
qmail (or sendmail)...does anyone have some ideas on how this can
be accomplished...

-Bill

Bill Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I am running qmail with tcpserver, and want to know if there is
>any way to make qmail respond faster to smtp/pop3d requests other than
>going through a DNS lookup...

Huh? How would going through a DNS lookup speed this up?

Disabling identd lookups, using the "-R" flag to tcpserver might
help. Or possibly just shortening the timeout via "-t".

>As I do not currently run my own DNS and
>get DNS through UUNET, would it be faster if I ran my own DNS for this,
>or is there another way to accomplish this task...

If your DNS is slow, you'll see delays all over the place, and, yes,
running your own caching nameserver will help.

-Dave

I have a couple Virtual Mail setup questions.

In sendmail I had a nice file that did everything. I see now how I do it in
qmail. I was hoping for an easier was to have virtual mail forwarded
(instead of delivered locally) other than creating a .qmail-blah file for
each forwarded virtual account.

=========== In sendmail using virtusertable ===========
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   localuser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

=========== In qmail using users/assign and .qmail file ===========

/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains:
domain.com:domain-com
otherdomain.com:otherdomain-com

/var/qmail/users/assign file:
=domain-com-user:popuser:10:10:/var/qmail/mailboxes/o/w/owner:::
=domain-com-luser:popuser:10:10:/var/qmail/mailboxes/o/w/owner:::
=domain-com-user2:popuser:10:10:/var/qmail/mailboxes/l/o/localuser:::
=otherdomain-com-other:popuser:10:10:/var/qmail/mailboxes/o/w/owner2:::

/var/mailboxes/o/w/owner/.qmail-user:
&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

/var/mailboxes/o/w/owner/.qmail-luser:
&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

/var/mailboxes/o/w/owner2/.qmail-other:
&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Is there a single file in qmail (as in sendmail) where I can do this?

Using the virtualdomains file to map a domain to a user seems like a
possible security risk where as someone comes up with a clever domain name
to try and capture someone elses mail. I am using the example by Paul Gregg
where he maps the domain to the domain with '-' in place of '.'.

Thus:
domain.com:domain-com
domain-com.com:domain-com-com

Seems like a potential security risk. Has anyone addressed and/or resolved
this issue?

Thanks for any pointers!
Richard

Thanks,
Richard

Richard Roderick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In sendmail I had a nice file that did everything. I see now how I do it in
>qmail. I was hoping for an easier was to have virtual mail forwarded
>(instead of delivered locally) other than creating a .qmail-blah file for
>each forwarded virtual account.
>
>Is there a single file in qmail (as in sendmail) where I can do this?

No.

You could create a single file and a script to break it down into the
multiple files qmail uses, though.

>Using the virtualdomains file to map a domain to a user seems like a
>possible security risk where as someone comes up with a clever domain name
>to try and capture someone elses mail. I am using the example by Paul Gregg
>where he maps the domain to the domain with '-' in place of '.'.
>
>Thus:
>domain.com:domain-com
>domain-com.com:domain-com-com
>
>Seems like a potential security risk. Has anyone addressed and/or resolved
>this issue?

What issue? Who cares if your system accepts a message for
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and delivers it to
~alias/.qmail-domain-com-com-user?

-Dave

At 03:53 PM 6/15/99 -0400, Dave Sill wrote:
>>domain.com:domain-com
>>domain-com.com:domain-com-com
>>
>>Seems like a potential security risk. Has anyone addressed and/or resolved
>>this issue?
>
>What issue? Who cares if your system accepts a message for
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] and delivers it to
>~alias/.qmail-domain-com-com-user?

Well said. The problem is when mailling lists are involved. I guess it's
just that I see the potential. And I could produce a situation, but the
odds of it happening are up their with evolution. HA :)

Richard

Anyone that can tell me a quick way to get a bounced message to ne forwarded
to 2-3 email adresses and then bounced back to the sender?

#Daniel.

"Daniel V. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Anyone that can tell me a quick way to get a bounced message to ne forwarded
>to 2-3 email adresses and then bounced back to the sender?

Set the return path of the message to user-bounce, say, (using
qmail-inject -f) and in ~user/.qmail-bounce do something like:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    |echo "reason for bounce"; exit 100

-Dave

Hi John,

sorry for disturbing you, but I followed your discussion about Qmail+ IMAP
+ Maildir.
First, I've succesfully installed my Qmail server with POP3 and Maildir support, but
I want to offer my intranet users a web based email system, that should be
integraded in our web based information system.
So ... I want to use imp as web frontend, but it requires an IMAP server.

Q: What do you use to enable Maildir support for your IMAP server, and which
IMAP server do you use ?

Q: Do you have a location of Qmail-IMAP-HOWTO (or something else, explaining the
configuration) ?

Thank you very much

best regards

christian

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Christian Wiese wrote:
>Q: What do you use to enable Maildir support for your IMAP server, and which
>IMAP server do you use ?

We dont support IMAP, but there are IMAP servers out that do support
maildir (cyrus)

>Q: Do you have a location of Qmail-IMAP-HOWTO (or something else, explaining the
>configuration) ?

No, but from what i understand, the cyrus instructions are pretty straight
forward. The only complaint i've heard is having to add your users to the
cyrus software as well as the local system. (keep in mind i've never used
the cyrus imap server)

  _    __   _____      __   _________
______________  /_______ ___  ____  /______  John Gonzalez/Net.Tech
__  __ \ __ \  __/_  __ `__ \/ __  /_  ___/ MDC Computers/netMDC!
_  / / / `__/ /_  / / / / / / /_/ / / /__ (505)437-7600/fax-437-3052
/_/ /_/\___/\__/ /_/ /_/ /_/\__,_/  \___/ http://www.netmdc.com
[---------------------------------------------[system info]-----------]
  1:40pm  up 130 days, 20:43,  3 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.20, 0.12

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 01:44:50PM -0600, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Christian Wiese wrote:
> >Q: What do you use to enable Maildir support for your IMAP server, and which
> >IMAP server do you use ?
>
> We dont support IMAP, but there are IMAP servers out that do support
> maildir (cyrus)

Since when is that? Cyrus has his own mailbox format IIRC.

>   1:40pm  up 130 days, 20:43,  3 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.20, 0.12

Not bad!

My gateway [which is also a workstation for the girls :)] :
  9:51pm  up 122 days,  6:25,  7 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.68, 0.62

Greetz, Peter
--

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Peter van Dijk wrote:
>> We dont support IMAP, but there are IMAP servers out that do support
>> maildir (cyrus)
>
>Since when is that? Cyrus has his own mailbox format IIRC.

then i stand corrected =)

I just knew that alot of people running maildir use cyrus for imap, is
this not the case?

>Not bad!
>
>My gateway [which is also a workstation for the girls :)] :
>  9:51pm  up 122 days,  6:25,  7 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.68, 0.62
>
>Greetz, Peter

  _    __   _____      __   _________
______________  /_______ ___  ____  /______  John Gonzalez/Net.Tech
__  __ \ __ \  __/_  __ `__ \/ __  /_  ___/ MDC Computers/netMDC!
_  / / / `__/ /_  / / / / / / /_/ / / /__ (505)437-7600/fax-437-3052
/_/ /_/\___/\__/ /_/ /_/ /_/\__,_/  \___/ http://www.netmdc.com
[---------------------------------------------[system info]-----------]
  1:55pm  up 130 days, 20:58,  3 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.12, 0.10

Peter van Dijk writes:
 > On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 01:44:50PM -0600, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:
 > >   1:40pm  up 130 days, 20:43,  3 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.20, 0.12
 >
 > My gateway [which is also a workstation for the girls :)] :
 >   9:51pm  up 122 days,  6:25,  7 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.68, 0.62

  4:08pm  up 222 days, 13 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.08, 0.14, 0.15

And the only reason it's that low is because I had to move it down one
floor at my ISP, and didn't want to have to balance the UPS on top of it.
For an extra added bonus:

qmails   30733  0.0  0.2   972   180  ?  S  Apr 28  64:11 qmail-send

It takes serious email for qmail-send to work up that many cpu seconds!

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Government schools are so

On 15 Jun 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:

   And the only reason it's that low is because I had to move it down one
   floor at my ISP, and didn't want to have to balance the UPS on top of it.
   For an extra added bonus:

   qmails   30733  0.0  0.2   972   180  ?  S  Apr 28  64:11 qmail-send

   It takes serious email for qmail-send to work up that many cpu seconds!

OK, it is childish, but I have to:

qmails  24255  0.0  0.2   796  624  ??  I  1Oct98 1744:56.71 qmail-send

This particular instance is doing delivery #14774584 as I write.

(I have several more just like it....)

:-)

-- Jeff

I think I've found a bug in qmail-local regarding the handling rewriting a
sender address with virtualdomains. Let me show you my test setup:

This is all in the home directory of the user "test12" which has the domain
"test12.com" mapped to their username with the control/virtualdomains file.
The system is "hobbes.drh.net"

     [test12@hobbes home]$ echo $USER
     test12
     [test12@hobbes home]$ grep test12 /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
     test12.com:test12
     [test12@hobbes home]$ cat /var/qmail/control/me
     hobbes.drh.net

I have five .qmail files setup for this user. First, .qmail-foo forwards
e-mail so it will go to the files .qmail-bar and .qmail-bouncer. But first,
notice the .qmail-foo-owner, which should cause all e-mail going through
.qmail-foo to acquire .qmail-foo-owner as the sender. Any mail going to
.qmail-foo-owner will get dropped in the mbox ./mailfile-foo-owner.

     [test12@hobbes home]$ cat .qmail-foo
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     [test12@hobbes home]$ cat .qmail-foo-owner
     ./mailfile-foo-owner

Now the two destinations files... .qmail-bar stores the e-mail to the mbox
./mailfile-var. .qmail-bouncer will bounce the e-mail, so it should end up
going back to .qmail-foo-owner and end up in the mbox ./mailfile-foo-owner.

     [test12@hobbes home]$ cat .qmail-bar
     ./mailfile-bar
     [test12@hobbes home]$ cat .qmail-bouncer
     bouncesaying "bounced as a test"

Okay, look good?

Now we send a test message, first clearing out the two mailfiles for the
test

     [test12@hobbes home]$ rm mailfle-*
     [test12@hobbes home]$ qmail-inject
     to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     subject: here we go and test stuff

     testing line one
     testing line two
     [test12@hobbes home]$

Now, we _should_ have a copy of the message in mailfile-bar and a copy of a
bounce in mailfile-foo-owner.

Looking at mailfile-bar reveals that the owner has been rewritten
incorrectly, IMO.

     [test12@hobbes home]$ cat mailfile-bar
     From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue Jun 15 20:08:22 1999
     Date: 15 Jun 1999 20:08:10 -0000
     From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     subject: here we go and test stuff

     testing line one
     testing line two

     [test12@hobbes home]$

The "^From" line should read "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]", right?

IMO, the iron clad test of this sender rewriting is this: Did we get bounce
messages? The answer is no:

     [test12@hobbes home]$ cat mailfile-foo-owner
     cat: mailfile-foo-owner: No such file or directory

This make sense to anyone else there?

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services

David Harris writes:

> e-mail so it will go to the files .qmail-bar and .qmail-bouncer. But first,
> notice the .qmail-foo-owner, which should cause all e-mail going through
> .qmail-foo to acquire .qmail-foo-owner as the sender.

Says who?

> This make sense to anyone else there?

Nope. sendmail != qmail.

--
Sam

> David Harris writes:
> > e-mail so it will go to the files .qmail-bar and .qmail-bouncer. But
first,
> > notice the .qmail-foo-owner, which should cause all e-mail going through
> > .qmail-foo to acquire .qmail-foo-owner as the sender.
>
> Says who?

Says dot-qmail(5) section "EXTENSION ADDRESSES" paragraphs seven and eight.
I know about this sender address rewriting because I picked apart every line
of the source code of qmail-local.c on another project.

> > This make sense to anyone else there?
>
> Nope. sendmail != qmail.

I know. Anyway, I never learned sendmail but just ripped it out of my system
and installed qmail because qmail is better.

David Harris writes:

> > David Harris writes:
> > > e-mail so it will go to the files .qmail-bar and .qmail-bouncer. But
> first,
> > > notice the .qmail-foo-owner, which should cause all e-mail going through
> > > .qmail-foo to acquire .qmail-foo-owner as the sender.
> >
> > Says who?
>
> Says dot-qmail(5) section "EXTENSION ADDRESSES" paragraphs seven and eight.
> I know about this sender address rewriting because I picked apart every line
> of the source code of qmail-local.c on another project.

Hmmm.  First time I ever heard of this one, and, in fact, first time I've
heard of anyone who cared.  I am aware of a similar sendmail-ism, which I
thought was completely unnecessary, and it only confused things.  I never
imagined Qmail would do something equally silly.

I feel like starting a religious war on whether mail that's forwarded like
that should retain its original message envelope sender, or have it reset
to the address of the account doing the forwarding.

--
Sam

Sam wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> I feel like starting a religious war on whether mail that's forwarded like
> that should retain its original message envelope sender, or have it reset
> to the address of the account doing the forwarding.

Uh? The sender gets rewritten only under very specific circumstances.
Indeed, only when the owner of the .qmail file intended to do so.
It's good for catching bounces when doing list explosion from .qmail
files. One could of course live without it... one could life without
so many things then... ;-)
Wouldn't qlist have relied on it?

Stefan

Stefan Paletta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
<mailto:[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]> wrote:
> Sam wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> > I feel like starting a religious war on whether mail that's forwarded
like
> > that should retain its original message envelope sender, or have it
reset
> > to the address of the account doing the forwarding.
>
> Uh? The sender gets rewritten only under very specific circumstances.
> Indeed, only when the owner of the .qmail file intended to do so.
> It's good for catching bounces when doing list explosion from .qmail
> files. One could of course live without it... one could life without
> so many things then... ;-)

Yes, it's a very handy feature. I've used a similar functionality in the
fastforward package. It's great for making sure you get the bounces from
list explosion... you are the list manager, so you are the one who should
know if bouncing is happening.

And I agree with Stefan.. because this rewriting only happens when you
specifically request it, no religious war is needed. :-)

> Wouldn't qlist have relied on it?

I'm not sure if the list software does it's own replacement of the sender
address, or relies on qmail-local. Lists to tend to setup a
".qmail-whatever-owner" file.

> Stefan

I'm hoping that some people can read through the details of my test setup
and comment on if the behavior I've observed is really a bug or not. If it
is a bug, I can produce a patch for qmail-local very easily.

David Harris writes:

> Stefan Paletta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> <mailto:[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]> wrote:
> > Sam wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> > > I feel like starting a religious war on whether mail that's forwarded
> like
> > > that should retain its original message envelope sender, or have it
> reset
> > > to the address of the account doing the forwarding.
> >
> > Uh? The sender gets rewritten only under very specific circumstances.
> > Indeed, only when the owner of the .qmail file intended to do so.
> > It's good for catching bounces when doing list explosion from .qmail
> > files. One could of course live without it... one could life without
> > so many things then... ;-)
>
> Yes, it's a very handy feature. I've used a similar functionality in the
> fastforward package. It's great for making sure you get the bounces from
> list explosion... you are the list manager, so you are the one who should
> know if bouncing is happening.

Well, if that's what you want, then you should ALWAYS reset the envelope
sender on forwarded mail to the address of the forwarding account.  Whether
that's done by appending "-owner" to the userid portion, or via some other
convention, that's a separate issue.  If -owner exists, and the forward
bounces, that's great.  If not, I don't think the original sender really
gives a whit that the forwarding is screwed up.  It seems more logical to
have the mail doublebounce to postmaster.  It seems to me that the
postmaster would be in a better position to do something about the problem,
and the postmaster would probably be able to contact the account quicker,
and fix the forwarding.

--
Sam

Sam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> Well, if that's what you want, then you should ALWAYS reset the envelope
> sender on forwarded mail to the address of the forwarding account.
Whether
> that's done by appending "-owner" to the userid portion, or via some other
> convention, that's a separate issue.  If -owner exists, and the forward
> bounces, that's great.  If not, I don't think the original sender really
> gives a whit that the forwarding is screwed up.  It seems more logical to
> have the mail doublebounce to postmaster.  It seems to me that the
> postmaster would be in a better position to do something about the
problem,
> and the postmaster would probably be able to contact the account quicker,
> and fix the forwarding.

The dot-qmail man page shows a method for rewriting the envelope sender
address. If qmail does not meet its own specs, then that is a bug,
regardless of the religious debate about envelope sender rewriting. (Notice
that I'm staying out of the religious debate - it does not matter.)

IMO, the bug still stands. Still waiting for comments... Hopefully I'll be
proved wrong somehow.

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services

One thing that isn't clear from the documentation for a virtual domain is
this.

Assuming your domain is acme.com
As a virtual domain, [EMAIL PROTECTED] goes to that account.

Does qmail allow the following.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (sent to mom's account)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (sent to dad's account)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (sent to my account)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (sent to the account holding the virtual domain)

This is what I'd really like to do. And this is the current setup I have for
my main domain at my ISP which uses Post.Office on an NT machine
(boo...hiss, Gates is Beelzebub)

When I get this working with qmail I'll dumpt the Post.Office setup at my
ISP and run that domain of the Linux box and NEVER go back to Microsoft!

Alex Miller

On 15-Jun-99 Alex Miller wrote:
> One thing that isn't clear from the documentation for a virtual domain is
> this.
>
> Assuming your domain is acme.com
> As a virtual domain, [EMAIL PROTECTED] goes to that account.
>
> Does qmail allow the following.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sent to mom's account)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sent to dad's account)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sent to my account)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sent to the account holding the virtual domain)

Sure... See qmail-users and look at the diference between simple assignments
and wildcard assignments. Use simple ones for the first three account's above
and a wildcard assignment for the last one.

---
Pedro Melo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
IP - Engenharia de Rede <http://ip.pt/>
Av. Duque de Avila, 23, 1049-071 LISBOA - PORTUGAL
tel: +351 1 3166740/00 (24h/dia) - fax: +351 1 3166701

I have qmail running fine on my machine, delivering mail to
~/Maildir/new the way it should. Now I want to forward mail from my hub
to my local machine but I want the incoming mail to be filtered into
Maildir style subdirectories of ~/Maildir.

I just finished DLing and installing procmail with the necessary patches
and tested it out. Part way there ... The incoming message _was_ picked
out by procmail but a) it was dumped into a file called ~/Maildir/trash
instead of a directory ~/Maildir/trash/ and b) it was _also_ delivered
to ~/Maildir/new/.

I assume that I was supposed to take the ./Maildir/ reference out of my
.qmail when I added the |preline procmail (which would solve b) no?) but
how do I get the Maildir extensions to procmail to work?

Mark E Drummond                    Royal Military College of Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                Computing Services
Linux Uber Alles                                        perl || die

       ...there are two types of command interfaces in the world of
                    computing: good interfaces and user interfaces.
                                   - Dan Bernstein, Author of qmail

PGP Fingerprint = 503D A72D AF41 2AD1 D433 C514 98D9 9A39 B25A 2405

When sending mail from command-line, all is well with per-user host/user
masquerading.  However, when a user on the server sends mail from a CGI
script, it's being sent with the following header:

Each user gets their own dedicated pool of Apache processes, running as that
user.  I'd like to be able to make qmail send mails with a return path
appropriate to that user, as any mail that this client sends out that
bounces gets returned to me, and gets quite annoying.

Any ideas?

J.

Jordan Krushen wrote/schrieb/scribsit:

> Each user gets their own dedicated pool of Apache processes, running as that
> user.  I'd like to be able to make qmail send mails with a return path
> appropriate to that user, as any mail that this client sends out that

Add to the VirtualHost sections of your httpd.conf
SetEnv QMAILSUSER webmaster
SenEnv QMAILSHOST virtualdomain.com
appropriately. This might require mod_env.

Stefan

Interesting.  It works with CGI's, but not from within a PHP3 mail() call.

Thanks :)

J.

> Add to the VirtualHost sections of your httpd.conf
> SetEnv QMAILSUSER webmaster
> SenEnv QMAILSHOST virtualdomain.com
> appropriately. This might require mod_env.

RH 5.2 2.0.36 kernel
I am using samba as a file server (with samba) for boxes on our office
network,
have installed qmail and ps aux shows:

qmaild     346  0.0  0.8  1308   552  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00
tcpserver -v -c40 -x
qmaild     360  0.0  0.6  1144   392  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00
tcpserver -v -c40 -u8
qmaill     330  0.0  0.5  1068   328  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 cyclog -s 1000000
/va
qmaill     343  0.0  0.4  1060   260  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 accustamp
qmaill     344  0.0  0.5  1068   316  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 cyclog -s 1000000
/va
qmaill     357  0.0  0.3  1060   248  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 accustamp
qmaill     358  0.0  0.5  1068   316  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 cyclog -s 1000000
/va
qmaill     372  0.0  0.4  1060   256  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 accustamp qmail
qmailq     375  0.0  0.5  1068   324  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 qmail-clean
qmailr     374  0.0  0.4  1076   312  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 qmail-rspawn
qmails     336  0.0  0.5  1120   376  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 qmail-send
root       373  0.0  0.4  1076   308  ?  S   Jun 11   0:00 qmail-lspawn #
Using ____
I hope i installed ok!

we have now got our own domain which is hosted on another server
(ourcompany.com.au) and several email addresses
 (ie [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc)

What i would like to do is collect the mail from the pop server
(mail.ourcompany.com.au) using fetchmail
to bring it onto the server and then allow local users (sales, admin etc) to
fetch it using their outlook express clients.
Is this feasible and workable and how do i set it up?
Regards,
Stephen

>we have now got our own domain which is hosted on another server
>(ourcompany.com.au) and several email addresses
> (ie [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc)
>
>What i would like to do is collect the mail from the pop server
>(mail.ourcompany.com.au) using fetchmail
>to bring it onto the server and then allow local users (sales, admin etc) to
>fetch it using their outlook express clients.
>Is this feasible and workable and how do i set it up?

Why do that? Just let the local users use the pop server.  Unless you don't
have an internet account for the company.  Seems odd that you would want to
create a step instead of removing one.

Regards,

Julian L.C. Brown
Greetz.Com // DomainOnHold.Com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----

http://www.domainonhold.com  :: Register your own domain name and park it
for free!

Stephen Lavelle writes:

> we have now got our own domain which is hosted on another server
> (ourcompany.com.au) and several email addresses
>  (ie [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc)
>
> What i would like to do is collect the mail from the pop server
> (mail.ourcompany.com.au) using fetchmail
> to bring it onto the server and then allow local users (sales, admin etc) to
> fetch it using their outlook express clients.
> Is this feasible and workable and how do i set it up?

Fetchmail is almost universally hated by everyone on this list.  Not a
months goes by without some fetchmail luser screwing something up, and
starting to bounce all mailing list traffic.  Furthermore the bounces go
not to the envelope return address, but the the address in the headers,
which is twice as dumb.  Avoid fetchmail at all costs.

--
Sam

        How does qmail handle users (using Maildir delivery) that have
exceeded their disk quota?

        We are contemplating implementing some pretty loose quota's, and
that was a question i didn't have an answer to.. ;P

        Thanks!

                        Adam

|  Adam Jacob - Cyber Trails     | "A monkey screams into an        |
|  Sr. Systems Administrator     |  ethernet cable, and Sendmail    |
|  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        |  sends it somewhere."            |
 Phone - (602)906-1752   Pager - (602)447-9531   Fax - (602)906-1799

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 07:56:04PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>       How does qmail handle users (using Maildir delivery) that have
> exceeded their disk quota?

qmail will defer the message, and try later. It will keep trying, until the
quota usage goes down so it can write the message. If the message is not
delivered until timeout, it will bounce the message.

>       We are contemplating implementing some pretty loose quota's, and
> that was a question i didn't have an answer to.. ;P

--
Anand

ANNOUNCE: fastforward-idx:

fastforward-idx: qmail-local features and per-user alias files for
fastforward

http://www.davideous.com/fastforward-idx/

Quick Summary:

Fastforward-idx is patch to the qmail accessory program fastforward, which
is designed to replace .qmail files for per-user mail configuration with one
alias file triggered from .qmail-default. To replace the .qmail files, all
of the functionality of qmail-local has been added into fastforward, such as
"-default" wildcarding, maildir/mailfile delivery, setting specific
environment variables for subprograms, etc. Also, the hardcoded reference in
newaliases to /etc/aliases was removed, so each user can have their own
alias file.

For a more detailed description, see the home page.

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services

I've got a newly installed Qmail-1.03 system which is failing to deliver
some mail that I can't explain. These addresses are now been sitting in the
queue for several days and all I see logged is:

deferral: Connected_to_x.y.z.w_but_connection_died._(#4.4.2)/

Obviously some of these are just what they say - but the numbers don't match
up. Hotmail addresses show up a lot in these addresses. What happens is our
qmail-remote connects for 1-5 minutes and then drops the link. However other
hotmail mail goes streaming through. I wouldn't be concerned except that
there are now messages to hotmail in our queue for several days - I just
can't make any sense of it (the messages aren't huge [all < 100K]).

So, is there something like recordio I can use to see the entire _outgoing_
SMTP transaction? recordio doesn't appear to work on outgoing connections...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Unix/Network Specialist, Trimble NZ
Phone: +64 3 3391 377 Fax: +64 3 3391 417

You can easily insert messages into Qmail's queue with qmail-queue but there
seems to be no approved way of 'manually' extracting messages from the
queue.

Would a 'qmail-unqueue' program be a good idea?

Trying to keep in with the Qmail way of doing things, It might have the
following syntax:

qmail-unqueue queue-id program [ arg ... ]

The queue-id could be extracted from the qmail-qread output. The program
would receive the message on stdin & the envelope information in the usual
environment variables. The qmail-unqueue program would remove the message
from the queue if the program exits 0.

I probably overlooked some important aspects but it seems useful...

Comments?

Regards,
Peter van der Landen

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 09:52:07AM +0200, Peter van der Landen wrote:
> I probably overlooked some important aspects but it seems useful...

You're not supposed to mess with the queue while qmail-send is running...

--
Jos Backus                          _/ _/_/_/  "Reliability means never
                                   _/ _/   _/   having to say you're sorry."

>On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 09:52:07AM +0200, Peter van der Landen wrote:
>> I probably overlooked some important aspects but it seems useful...
>
>You're not supposed to mess with the queue while qmail-send is running...

I wouldn't dream of doing this myself but maybe Dan could implement it with
proper locking.

The very fact that messing with the queue while qmail-send is running is a
big Nono is what would make this a useful addition IMHO.

Regards,
Peter van der Landen

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 10:08:03AM +0200, Peter van der Landen wrote:
> I wouldn't dream of doing this myself but maybe Dan could implement it with
> proper locking.

It would have to go in qmail-send, which will probably look rather different
in 2.0. That's my guess.

> The very fact that messing with the queue while qmail-send is running is a
> big Nono is what would make this a useful addition IMHO.

Agreed.

Who knows, maybe 2.0 will have a generalized delivery type:
local/remote/bounce/discard/..., and the possibility to change it on the fly
for a given message.

Cheers,
--
Jos Backus                          _/ _/_/_/  "Reliability means never
                                   _/ _/   _/   having to say you're sorry."
                                  _/ _/_/_/             -- D. J. Bernstein
                             _/  _/ _/    _/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  _/_/  _/_/_/      use Std::Disclaimer;

subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hi all,

question, which program/system works best for filtering email into
seperate folders using pine with qmail? i'm investigating procmail and
'maildrop'....any feedback would be appreciated.

/basit

I can't seem to find my original subscription email.  Can anyone tell me how I can go about unsubscribing?

 Thanks,

 Kory

hi,

i cant seem to get virtual domains to work.

my virtualdomains file looks like:
xibex.com:basit-xibex-com
xibex.org:basit-xibex-org
shehram.com:basit-shehram-com
shehram.net:basit-shehram-net
shehram.org:basit-shehram-org
arbit.net:anna
auxilium42.com:auxilium42-com
auxilium42.net:auxilium42-net
auxilium42.org:auxilium42-org
hangar42.com:hangar42-com
hangar42.org:hangar42-org
hangar42.net:hangar42-net

and in the user hangar42's directory, i have:

~hangar42/.qmail-com-info

this does not seem to work. all mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] is *still*
sent to ~alias, since i have a ~alias/.qmail-default setup.

this doesnt seem right. am i missing something here? all the permissions
on dirs and files seems okay...

also, sending email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and sending email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] works okay, but obviously the aliases are *not* working.

pretty much im figuring that qmail is not reading my virtualdomains
file...

why? i dont know.
help.

Giles Lean wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:20:35 +0200  Ana =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bel=E9n?=
> Santos wrote:
>
> > Hi, I would like that when a mail comes to some user another mail could
> > be replied
> > to the sender answering something I have in one archive .
>
> You could look at http://www.nemeton.com.au/sw/autoreply/
>
> This is a very simple autoresponder, designed to be safe for
> unsophisticated users to use.  It may or may not be suitable for what
> you want to do.
>
> Regards,
>
> Giles

    I have several e-mail alias, and I want to send diferents
autoreply-message
depending the alias.  But all mails come to the same acount anasan, who is
the real user. Can I do that??

thanks