Text written by James at 05:07 PM 6/16/99 -0700:

>It informs me what my hostname is, then tells me..
>
>"soft error
>Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
>You will have to set up control/me yourself."
>
>I can't find any help files on this error.  Does anyone know what might be
>going wrong?  Thanks for any help.

It just means that once installation is complete, and before you try to use
qmail, you'll need to edit (or create) the file ~/control/me to be your
hostname. (Well, it means some other things, too, like the fact that qmail
couldn't get your host's name from DNS. If you thought you had DNS running
on this machine, that should be a red flag. However, if your nameserver is
some other machine, and you get back decent results from nslookup, I
wouldn't worry overmuch.)

                             Kai MacTane
                         System Administrator
                      Online Partners.com, Inc.
>From the Jargon File: (v4.0.0, 25 Jul 1996)

cracking /n./

The act of breaking into a computer system; what a cracker does.
Contrary to widespread myth, this does not usually involve some
mysterious leap of hackerly brilliance, but rather persistence and
the dogged repetition of a handful of fairly well-known tricks that
exploit common weaknesses in the security of target systems. Accord-
ingly, most crackers are only mediocre hackers.