At 05:16 PM 6/22/99 , you wrote:

>Every once in a while (it's happened only about three times in the last
>month), qmail quietly dies on one of my servers. By and large this hasn't
>been much of a problem, since I'm running two identical servers for
>inbound and outbound mail - just a small handful of messages that sit in
>the queue waiting for delivery.

i left out some details, dumb.

hardware: sun e4500. software: solaris 7, 64bit kernel. compiler: sun
workshop 5.0. qmail 1.03, built 32bit (builds fine 64bit, but won't run).
qmail invoked as:

         qmail-pw2u < /etc/passwd > /var/qmail/users/assign ; qmail-newu
         (/bin/env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
         supervise $DIR qmail-start ./Maildir/ splogger $PROG & ) \
         && echo "$PROG \c" && status

Maildir's are on Netapps, i.e. NFS. qmail queue is on two dedicated
mirrored disks.

the system(s) are under very light load currently - they're only serving
staff email until we roll out service with customers. so to the best of my
knowledge, this isn't a resource issue.

Paul Theodoropoulos                 Advanced TelCom Group, Inc.
Senior Unix Systems Administrator    Internet Services Division
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Santa Rosa, California, US