Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 23 June 1999 at 14:49:41 -0400
 > Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > >
 > >The value of a GUI is not that it's graphical, nor that it's colorful,
 > >nor that it uses the whole screen.  It's that it allows the user to
 > >merely recognize the right answer rather than having to recollect it
 > >Command completion, originally used in tops-20, and most often seen in
 > >kermit, and cisco routers these days, is a reasonable compromise
 > >between a full gui and the typical incompetent command line most
 > >Unices use.
 >
 > Ah, TOPS-20. My first job, back in '85, was admin'ing a DEC 20. It's a
 > shame VMS didn't incorporate command completion. I'm also suprised
 > nobody's retrofitted it to Linux via readline. Precious few programs
 > even use readline. How handy would filename completion and command
 > recall be in an ftp client?

Bash does command completion and filename completion and username
completion (in ~name constructs).  Bash is the default shell on
Linux.  This doesn't give you the depth that TOPS-20 did; a program
that used the COMND jsys for the command line interface knew the type
of each parameter and could supply appropriate assistance, whereas in
BASH a command line is always assumed to refer to files, and that's
really all it can help you with.

(I worked with tops-20 from 1977 to 1985, and worked for DEC in
Marlboro doing TOPS-20 layered product development from '81 to '85).

Remember kermit, the file transfer program that would move data over
terminal lines from a desktop system to *anything*?  Its command
interface was patterned after TOPS-20.  It always felt very homey to
me.
--
David Dyer-Bennet                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ddb.com/~ddb (photos, sf) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon