Richard,

Thanks for that info.... working on the theory that I've never ever modified
qmail source before, can you explain which file I need to change and
recompile and also whether this is an existing line that I'm changing or a
new one that I'm adding (I know I sound pretty simple here, but I just want
to get it right the first time)?

Not having a 100% understanding of Qmail (I've been lucky that I just set it
up and it works first time, and I've never had to pay a lot of attention to
the processes that it goes through), could you explain your 'notes' in a bit
more detail so I can have a better understanding of the potential problems
this change could cause.

I agree that the ideal place to have the SMTP relay is on the firewall in
place of the proxy, but the firewall doesn't like having extra bits running
on it, so I'm stuck with our scenario.

Thanks,

Karl Lellman
Systems Consultant
Extranet Technologies Limited
Level 3, 60 Cook Street, Auckland, New Zealand
P.O. Box 7726, Wellesley Street, Auckland, New Zealand
Phone +64 9 3771122, Fax +64 9 3771109, Mobile +64 25 771188