Jacob,

Like I said, I don't have my ref book here, but I don't think you are
supposed to have a nameserver entry point to a CNAME...
>               IN      NS      dhamma.metta.lk.
>dhamma         IN      CNAME   metta.lk.

I would recommend changing you named.hosts files as follows:
/var/named.hosts
- ----------------
;DNS-Format-Version-1
; Domains defined in this file:
;     metta.lk.
;     col7.metta.lk
$ORIGIN metta.lk.
@               IN      SOA     dhamma.metta.lk. root.metta.lk. (
                                    8           ; serial
                                    28800       ; refresh
                                    7200        ; retry
                                    604800      ; expire
                                    86400       ; minimum
                                )
                IN      NS      dhamma.metta.lk.
                IN      NS      server1.tradenetsl.lk.

dhamma          IN      A       204.143.107.46

                IN      A       204.143.107.46

metta.lk.       IN      MX      10      dhamma.metta.lk.

www             IN      CNAME   dhamma.metta.lk.

col7.metta.lk.  IN      A       172.16.1.1
col7.metta.lk.  IN      MX      10      metta.lk. ;I'm not sure you need this
col4.metta.lk.  IN      A       172.16.2.1
col7.metta.lk.  IN      MX      10      metta.lk  ;I'm not sure you need this

/var/named.rev
- --------------
;DNS-Format-Version-1
;
; Domains defined in this file:
;     107.143.204.in-addr.arpa.
;
$ORIGIN 107.143.204.in-addr.arpa.
@               IN      SOA     dhamma.metta.lk.  root.dhamma.metta.lk. (
                                    1           ; serial
                                    28800       ; refresh
                                    7200        ; retry
                                    604800      ; expire
                                    86400       ; minimum
                                )
                IN      NS      dhamma.metta.lk.
                IN      NS      server1.tradenetsl.lk.
34              IN      PTR     server1.tradenetsl.lk.
46              IN      PTR     dhamma.metta.lk.

Here's the dig of your domain (metta.lk)
as you can see, in the section where it lists, nameservers, dhamma is not
listed.
[robbie@sauron robbie]$ dig metta.lk

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> metta.lk
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      metta.lk, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
metta.lk.               8h18m30s IN A   204.143.107.46

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
metta.lk.               1W IN NS        server1.tradenetsl.lk.
metta.lk.               1W IN NS        edb.tradenesl.lk.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
server1.tradenetsl.lk.  1W IN A         204.143.107.34

;; Total query time: 179 msec
;; FROM: sauron to SERVER: default -- 208.25.246.2
;; WHEN: Sun Jun 27 21:44:44 1999
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 26  rcvd: 121