On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 04:22:24AM +0200, Johan Van Gompel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Despite following the necessary instructions (#5.4) we are still
> experiencing an outgoing mail problem with qmail 1.03. Unless I remove
> /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts nobody can send mail outside the LAN.

Do you really mean that nobody can send mail outside the LAN, or do you mean
that nobody on the LAN can get your local SMTP server to accept mail via SMTP
if that mail is to be relayed?  Can you send mail out from the box itself? (I
suspect that you can, since removing rcpthosts fixes the problem.)

> This is what I put in /etc/tcp.smtp:
>
> --
> 192.168.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
> 127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
> --
>
> The content of /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts is:
>
> --
> alro.be
> recitech.be
> wca.be
> 192.168.1.99
> --
>
> I use '192.168.1.99' as a hostname in the tcpserver (0.84) invocation. The
> IP addresses of alro.be, recitech.be and wca.be are not in the 192.168.
> range. (194.7.something)

This host has more than one interface? If that's the case, you shouldn't even
need any tcprules file, assuming that you want to allow anyone on your internal
network to relay. If you're listening to port 25 only on the internal
interface, then you can remove the rcpthosts file without fear of being used as
a relay from the outside. I take it you don't receive mail via SMTP from
outside of your own network.

This doesn't explain why your setup doesn't work, but the use of tcprules
shouldn't be necessary in this case.

Chris