Scott Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--
[Let's try a simple test]
So, the idea is that we'll run a program that connects from localhost

[script snipped]
--

The output is identical to yours, except for the port numbers. At first,
tcpcat returned a 'cannot connect to 127.0.0.1 port xxx] error though, but

Some people wanted to see my tcpserver invocations. Here is the qmail
startup script I wrote:

--
[beginning snipped]
tcpserver -u 1009 -g 1008 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd -x

Oh no. :-) Of course, '-x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb' should be given as an
argument to tcpserver and not to qmail-smtpd. I corrected it and qmail now works as
expected. I won't make *that* mistake ever again. :-)

Thanks for your support, people. You were all very helpful in retrieving
this unforgivably stupid mistake. :-)

--
Johan Van Gompel

--