qmail Digest 4 Jul 1999 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 691

Topics (messages 27551 through 27586):

Installation problem
        27551 by: "Jacob (Mettavihari)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

dial-up-host, holdremote-patch, spam
        27552 by: Andreas Schuldei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

AOL Patch
        27553 by: Andrew Beebe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27564 by: mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

info
        27554 by: "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27557 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        27559 by: "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27563 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        27565 by: "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27566 by: Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27567 by: "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Double Bounces
        27555 by: Andrew Beebe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27558 by: Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

(#5.7.1) ???
        27556 by: "Fred Lindberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail-unsubscribe
        27560 by: Gentry L. Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27561 by: Scott Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Howto
        27562 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Qmail stops working
        27568 by: Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27569 by: Robbie Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27570 by: Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27571 by: Robbie Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27572 by: Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27573 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27574 by: Robbie Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27580 by: Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Lost my Qmail knowledge...Help.
        27575 by: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27578 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        27579 by: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27582 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Maildirs support *sigh*
        27576 by: Anil Jangity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27577 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27581 by: Anil Jangity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        27583 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Installation problem (fwd)
        27584 by: "Jacob (Mettavihari)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail won't read ~alias/.qmail-root
        27585 by: "Adam D . McKenna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Single-UID based POP3 && checkpasswd
        27586 by: Ronald Wiplinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]


----------------------------------------------------------------------




To Dave and Robbie,
Hi all,

I am Jacob again with some more errors.
Sorry to have started all that in HOWTO
so this is a new subject.

I was running Redhat 4.2 and just changed RH6.0

I am suggested to change to qmail as it is easier to confiure my machine
to accept mail for 4-6 smaller subdomains.
these subdomains will pickup mail twice a day during cheaptime 
using a serial dialup connections.

Everything is a fresh setup on a test machine
and I would use Maildir format.
The users will dial in to the subdomains using Win95
to collect mail (presumably pop3)

I am initially concerned with the setup of the main domain.
I have followed the Howto and the lwq quite closely,
but get an error when I come to the below command.
/usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb
which is at the end of section 2.8.2 of lwq

Perhaps I have missed something.
Suggestions are very welcome.

Apart from following the howto and the lwq
I also inserted this line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -u 501 -g 500 0 smtp /car/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
and the server is up running shown by a "ps -ax"
as suggested by the faq 5.1 and Robbie Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(thanks Robbie)

>You should comment out the smtp line in /etc/inetd.conf if you are going to
>use tcpserver, which is recommended.

This has also been done.

Below are some of the commands I executed.

[root@dhamma /etc]# /usr/local/bin/tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < 
/etc/tcp.smtp

[root@dhamma /etc]# ls -al tc*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           26 Jul  1 16:38 tcp.smtp
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         2090 Jul  2 10:10 tcp.smtp.cdb

[root@dhamma /etc]# /usr/local/sbin/qmail cdb
bash: /usr/local/sbin/qmail: No such file or directory
( which is the file refered to.)

[root@dhamma sbin]# ls -al
total 2
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jul  1 16:36 .
drwxr-sr-x  11 root     root         1024 Jun 27 04:17 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           22 Jul  1 16:36 qmail -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail

[root@dhamma init.d]# pwd
/etc/rc.d/init.d
[root@dhamma init.d]# ./qmail cdb
bash: ./qmail: No such file or directory
[root@dhamma init.d]# ls q* -l
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         2902 Jul  1 12:42 qmail
[root@dhamma init.d]#

There is no sign that the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail is running
as one of the commands in it is
echo -n "Starting qmail: qmail-send"
but no message like that is echoed.
The script was downloaded so few errors are expected

I also tried to follow 
8. Enable Local deliveries. 
--------------------------
in the HOWTO.
------------

[root@dhamma qmail]# less rc
#!/bin/sh

#Using stdout for logging
#Using control/default delivery from qmail-local to deliver messages by default
exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start "`cat /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery`" accustamp

csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &'

and sent a mail to a local user
using mutt.( that should be ok)
it comes with error 
Error sending message, child exited 127 ().

[root@dhamma init.d]# cd /var/qmail

Please also let me know 
if the owner/group of the rc file should be changed.

path /var/qmail/
[root@dhamma qmail]# ls -al
total 23
drwxr-xr-x  12 root     qmail        1024 Jul  1 16:00 .
drwxr-xr-x  23 root     root         1024 Jul  1 16:30 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 qmails   qmail        1422 Jun 26 23:56 .Xdefaults
-rw-r--r--   1 qmails   qmail          24 Jun 26 23:56 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r--   1 qmails   qmail         230 Jun 26 23:56 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r--   1 qmails   qmail         124 Jun 26 23:56 .bashrc
drwxr-xr-x   3 qmails   qmail        1024 Jun 26 23:54 .kde
-rw-r--r--   1 qmails   qmail         966 Jun 26 23:56 .kderc
-rw-rw-r--   1 qmails   qmail        3505 Jun 26 23:56 .screenrc
drwxr-xr-x   5 qmails   qmail        1024 Jun 26 23:54 Desktop
drwxr-sr-x   4 alias    qmail        1024 Jun 27 13:00 alias
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     qmail        1024 Jul  1 16:26 bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     qmail        1024 Jun 27 12:41 boot
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     qmail        1024 Jul  1 15:53 control
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     qmail        1024 Jun 27 12:41 doc
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     qmail        1024 Jun 27 12:41 man
drwxr-x---  11 qmailq   qmail        1024 Jun 27 12:41 queue
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          223 Jul  1 15:57 rc
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     qmail        1024 Jun 27 12:41 users
[root@dhamma qmail]#


thanks for the help
Jacob (Mettavihari)





I would like to use your holdremotepatch to qmail. 
But I do not understand how you run your internal network with it. 

The setup I am planning is like this: 

a local network, one local dial-up mailserver, dynamic ip, isp has
relayhost

the local network should be able to exchange mail at any time, so the
local mailserver should allways be able to relay mails within the local
network.

whenever a connection to the Internet is established I want the mails to
the outside world be deliverd. It would be OK to use the isp's relayhost
but I would rather deliver mails myself to avoid one more point of
failure. 

I thought about using the holdremote-patch but I am not sure if I will
still be able to deliver mail internally if the local mailserver's
remote-deliverys are disabled.

Is there a workaround? I would like to avoid serialmail because of it's
drawbacks. Is this setup OK? how could I get around the isp's mailserver
and still escape the spamprotection of some mailinglists (e.g.
linux-kernel)?




Greetings,

I have a customer that I set-up a mailing list for, right now it's
fairly small with about 1500 people on the list. A large number of those
people are on AOL, so as a precautionary measure I installed the AOL
patch. Since installing the patch I'm now getting CNAME Lookup Failure
messages for the AOL addresses and I wasn't getting them before. It
appears the the patch actually started the problem it was supposed to
fix. Has anyone else experienced this?

-- Andy
___________________

Andrew Beebe
Maine Web Design
RR 2 Box 363 A
Bridgton, ME 04009
(207) 647-8411
http://www.datamaine.com




I found that adding an aol MX to my smtproutes file worked better than the patch. I 
still have yet to figure out if I can have multiple entries for aol.com in smtproutes, 
but I havent looked at the docs yet, so this isnt a question for the list...

On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 09:16:12AM -0400, Andrew Beebe wrote:
> Greetings,
> 
> I have a customer that I set-up a mailing list for, right now it's
> fairly small with about 1500 people on the list. A large number of those
> people are on AOL, so as a precautionary measure I installed the AOL
> patch. Since installing the patch I'm now getting CNAME Lookup Failure
> messages for the AOL addresses and I wasn't getting them before. It
> appears the the patch actually started the problem it was supposed to
> fix. Has anyone else experienced this?
> 
> -- Andy
> ___________________
> 
> Andrew Beebe
> Maine Web Design
> RR 2 Box 363 A
> Bridgton, ME 04009
> (207) 647-8411
> http://www.datamaine.com

-- 
"Death to the demon Mark Luntzel!  Death to the evil vi!" -fn

<sax> ./configure --work-or-i-keel-you




You've got to be kidding.
Has it actually gotten to the point that answering a direct question is
shouldn't be posted.

This list was set up, without having the "if you want to unsubscribe"
message at the bottom of each posting.

That's a reasonable decision, particularly for this list.

Posting the reply to the list is necessary, obviously, else how would all
the other people know wether or not the question had been answered?

He asked. I answered. No one else needed to, unless there was something else
to add. It's that simple.

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Alex Miller

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Racer X [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 5:09 PM
> To: Alex Miller
> Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To
> Subject: Re: info
>
>
> If you insist on doing this, could do please do the rest of the list a
> favor and not CC us on replies?  We already know how to unsubscribe from
> the mailing list because we read the welcome message when we subscribed in
> the first place.
>
> shag
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Alex Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Fri 2 Jul 1999 11.32
> Subject: RE: info
>
>
> > The way to unsubscribe from an ezmlm list is based on it's name.
> >
> > This name of this list is [EMAIL PROTECTED] (via the People's Republic
> of
> > Tonga)
> >
> > So to unsubscribe send a blank email to this address:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] from your subscribing email address.
> >
> > For more about ezmlm check out http://www.ezmlm.org it has a lot of
> > convenient features, for example, when you get back from vacation, you
> can
> > get all the past emails by number.
> >
> > Alex Miller
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 1:44 PM
> > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: info
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi
> > > May sombody point me where I should send msg to unsubscribe
> > > from this list. I'm taking vacation and may mailbox will be very fast
> > > full.........
> > >
> > > Jozef
> > >
> >
> >
>





Hi Alex
        Thank you for help and sorry for mess which I created............
Jozef
PS: I unsubscribed yesterday with notification from ezmlm but still
I'm getting new ones (~ 100 from yesterday) :)))))))))))))

 
From:                   "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     "Racer X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Copies to:              "Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                RE: info
Date sent:              Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:20:52 -0400

> You've got to be kidding.
> Has it actually gotten to the point that answering a direct question is
> shouldn't be posted.
> 
> This list was set up, without having the "if you want to unsubscribe"
> message at the bottom of each posting.
> 
> That's a reasonable decision, particularly for this list.
> 
> Posting the reply to the list is necessary, obviously, else how would all
> the other people know wether or not the question had been answered?
> 
> He asked. I answered. No one else needed to, unless there was something else
> to add. It's that simple.
> 
> There's no such thing as a stupid question.
> 
> Alex Miller
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Racer X [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 5:09 PM
> > To: Alex Miller
> > Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To
> > Subject: Re: info
> >
> >
> > If you insist on doing this, could do please do the rest of the list a
> > favor and not CC us on replies?  We already know how to unsubscribe from
> > the mailing list because we read the welcome message when we subscribed in
> > the first place.
> >
> > shag
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Alex Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Sent: Fri 2 Jul 1999 11.32
> > Subject: RE: info
> >
> >
> > > The way to unsubscribe from an ezmlm list is based on it's name.
> > >
> > > This name of this list is [EMAIL PROTECTED] (via the People's Republic
> > of
> > > Tonga)
> > >
> > > So to unsubscribe send a blank email to this address:
> > >
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] from your subscribing email address.
> > >
> > > For more about ezmlm check out http://www.ezmlm.org it has a lot of
> > > convenient features, for example, when you get back from vacation, you
> > can
> > > get all the past emails by number.
> > >
> > > Alex Miller
> > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 1:44 PM
> > > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > > Subject: info
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hi
> > > > May sombody point me where I should send msg to unsubscribe
> > > > from this list. I'm taking vacation and may mailbox will be very fast
> > > > full.........
> > > >
> > > > Jozef
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> 
> 






Jozef,

You didn't create a mess. It was a mess already. Teaching is a sacred
activity, as sacred as a meal, each meal is a gift, and every student is the
first student.

In my response to you explaining how to unsubscribe, there was a step
missing which no one noticed.

After you send the unsubscribe request, ezmlm sends you an "ezmlm response".
This contains a special return address for you to confirm your
unsubscription. Usually you can just reply to the ezmlm response, and it
will be confirmed otherwise you will have to send a message directly to the
email it says.

This is for security, so that someone doesn't unsubscribe you without your
approval.

Alex Miller

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Saturday, July 03, 1999 9:49 AM
> To: Alex Miller
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: info
>
>
> Hi Alex
>       Thank you for help and sorry for mess which I created............
> Jozef
> PS: I unsubscribed yesterday with notification from ezmlm but still
> I'm getting new ones (~ 100 from yesterday) :)))))))))))))
>
>
> From:                 "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:                   "Racer X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Copies to:            "Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:              RE: info
> Date sent:            Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:20:52 -0400
>
> > You've got to be kidding.
> > Has it actually gotten to the point that answering a direct question is
> > shouldn't be posted.
> >
> > This list was set up, without having the "if you want to unsubscribe"
> > message at the bottom of each posting.
> >
> > That's a reasonable decision, particularly for this list.
> >
> > Posting the reply to the list is necessary, obviously, else how
> would all
> > the other people know wether or not the question had been answered?
> >
> > He asked. I answered. No one else needed to, unless there was
> something else
> > to add. It's that simple.
> >
> > There's no such thing as a stupid question.
> >
> > Alex Miller
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Racer X [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 5:09 PM
> > > To: Alex Miller
> > > Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To
> > > Subject: Re: info
> > >
> > >
> > > If you insist on doing this, could do please do the rest of the list a
> > > favor and not CC us on replies?  We already know how to
> unsubscribe from
> > > the mailing list because we read the welcome message when we
> subscribed in
> > > the first place.
> > >
> > > shag
> > >
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: Alex Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Sent: Fri 2 Jul 1999 11.32
> > > Subject: RE: info
> > >
> > >
> > > > The way to unsubscribe from an ezmlm list is based on it's name.
> > > >
> > > > This name of this list is [EMAIL PROTECTED] (via the
> People's Republic
> > > of
> > > > Tonga)
> > > >
> > > > So to unsubscribe send a blank email to this address:
> > > >
> > > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] from your subscribing email address.
> > > >
> > > > For more about ezmlm check out http://www.ezmlm.org it has a lot of
> > > > convenient features, for example, when you get back from
> vacation, you
> > > can
> > > > get all the past emails by number.
> > > >
> > > > Alex Miller
> > > >
> > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > > > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 1:44 PM
> > > > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > > > Subject: info
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi
> > > > > May sombody point me where I should send msg to unsubscribe
> > > > > from this list. I'm taking vacation and may mailbox will
> be very fast
> > > > > full.........
> > > > >
> > > > > Jozef
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
>





Alex
        I did this. I sent empty mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], I 
got msg from ezmlm with asking me to reply for confirmation, i did 
and next I got next msg from ezmlm - see top (I cut rest)........

Date sent:              2 Jul 1999 18:22:44 -0000
From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                ezmlm response

Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list.

Acknowledgment: The address

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

is not on this mailing list.


See http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html for more information about qmail.
blah, blah............................

But I think I'm still on list............:))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks again...............

Jozef


From:                   "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Copies to:              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                RE: info
Date sent:              Sat, 3 Jul 1999 10:42:32 -0400

> Jozef,
> 
> You didn't create a mess. It was a mess already. Teaching is a sacred
> activity, as sacred as a meal, each meal is a gift, and every student is the
> first student.
> 
> In my response to you explaining how to unsubscribe, there was a step
> missing which no one noticed.
> 
> After you send the unsubscribe request, ezmlm sends you an "ezmlm response".
> This contains a special return address for you to confirm your
> unsubscription. Usually you can just reply to the ezmlm response, and it
> will be confirmed otherwise you will have to send a message directly to the
> email it says.
> 
> This is for security, so that someone doesn't unsubscribe you without your
> approval.
> 
> Alex Miller
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > Sent: Saturday, July 03, 1999 9:49 AM
> > To: Alex Miller
> > Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: RE: info
> >
> >
> > Hi Alex
> >     Thank you for help and sorry for mess which I created............
> > Jozef
> > PS: I unsubscribed yesterday with notification from ezmlm but still
> > I'm getting new ones (~ 100 from yesterday) :)))))))))))))
> >
> >
> > From:               "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To:                 "Racer X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Copies to:          "Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject:            RE: info
> > Date sent:          Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:20:52 -0400
> >
> > > You've got to be kidding.
> > > Has it actually gotten to the point that answering a direct question is
> > > shouldn't be posted.
> > >
> > > This list was set up, without having the "if you want to unsubscribe"
> > > message at the bottom of each posting.
> > >
> > > That's a reasonable decision, particularly for this list.
> > >
> > > Posting the reply to the list is necessary, obviously, else how
> > would all
> > > the other people know wether or not the question had been answered?
> > >
> > > He asked. I answered. No one else needed to, unless there was
> > something else
> > > to add. It's that simple.
> > >
> > > There's no such thing as a stupid question.
> > >
> > > Alex Miller
> > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: Racer X [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 5:09 PM
> > > > To: Alex Miller
> > > > Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To
> > > > Subject: Re: info
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > If you insist on doing this, could do please do the rest of the list a
> > > > favor and not CC us on replies?  We already know how to
> > unsubscribe from
> > > > the mailing list because we read the welcome message when we
> > subscribed in
> > > > the first place.
> > > >
> > > > shag
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > From: Alex Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > Sent: Fri 2 Jul 1999 11.32
> > > > Subject: RE: info
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > The way to unsubscribe from an ezmlm list is based on it's name.
> > > > >
> > > > > This name of this list is [EMAIL PROTECTED] (via the
> > People's Republic
> > > > of
> > > > > Tonga)
> > > > >
> > > > > So to unsubscribe send a blank email to this address:
> > > > >
> > > > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] from your subscribing email address.
> > > > >
> > > > > For more about ezmlm check out http://www.ezmlm.org it has a lot of
> > > > > convenient features, for example, when you get back from
> > vacation, you
> > > > can
> > > > > get all the past emails by number.
> > > > >
> > > > > Alex Miller
> > > > >
> > > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > > > > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 1:44 PM
> > > > > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > > > > Subject: info
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi
> > > > > > May sombody point me where I should send msg to unsubscribe
> > > > > > from this list. I'm taking vacation and may mailbox will
> > be very fast
> > > > > > full.........
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Jozef
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> 
> 






It seems then that
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
is not the name you subscribed with.

The message back from ezmlm should have said:

Acknowledgment: I have removed the address

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

from this mailing list.

NOT

Acknowledgment: The address

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

is not on this mailing list.

You must have been subscribed as:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

instead of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
which you send and recieve mail from both.

It would be nice, if for ezmlm there were the command:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Maybe that could be a cybergood open-source project to write.

Anyway, since there isn't an unsubscribe-name=host.domain command (and there
shouldn't be) try making sure your return email address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and then unsubscribing.

The "you've done it all the way" message should say:

Acknowledgment: I have removed the address

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

from this mailing list.

Alex Miller

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Saturday, July 03, 1999 11:52 AM
> To: Alex Miller
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: info
>
>
> Alex
>       I did this. I sent empty mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], I
> got msg from ezmlm with asking me to reply for confirmation, i did
> and next I got next msg from ezmlm - see top (I cut rest)........
>
> Date sent:            2 Jul 1999 18:22:44 -0000
> From:                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject:              ezmlm response
>
> Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list.
>
> Acknowledgment: The address
>
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> is not on this mailing list.
>
>
> See http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html for more information about qmail.
> blah, blah............................
>
> But I think I'm still on list............:))))))))))))))))))))))))))
>
> Thanks again...............
>
> Jozef
>
>
> From:                 "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:                   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Copies to:            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:              RE: info
> Date sent:            Sat, 3 Jul 1999 10:42:32 -0400
>
> > Jozef,
> >
> > You didn't create a mess. It was a mess already. Teaching is a sacred
> > activity, as sacred as a meal, each meal is a gift, and every
> student is the
> > first student.
> >
> > In my response to you explaining how to unsubscribe, there was a step
> > missing which no one noticed.
> >
> > After you send the unsubscribe request, ezmlm sends you an
> "ezmlm response".
> > This contains a special return address for you to confirm your
> > unsubscription. Usually you can just reply to the ezmlm response, and it
> > will be confirmed otherwise you will have to send a message
> directly to the
> > email it says.
> >
> > This is for security, so that someone doesn't unsubscribe you
> without your
> > approval.
> >
> > Alex Miller
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > Sent: Saturday, July 03, 1999 9:49 AM
> > > To: Alex Miller
> > > Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: RE: info
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi Alex
> > >   Thank you for help and sorry for mess which I created............
> > > Jozef
> > > PS: I unsubscribed yesterday with notification from ezmlm but still
> > > I'm getting new ones (~ 100 from yesterday) :)))))))))))))
> > >
> > >
> > > From:             "Alex Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > To:               "Racer X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Copies to:        "Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Subject:          RE: info
> > > Date sent:        Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:20:52 -0400
> > >
> > > > You've got to be kidding.
> > > > Has it actually gotten to the point that answering a direct
> question is
> > > > shouldn't be posted.
> > > >
> > > > This list was set up, without having the "if you want to
> unsubscribe"
> > > > message at the bottom of each posting.
> > > >
> > > > That's a reasonable decision, particularly for this list.
> > > >
> > > > Posting the reply to the list is necessary, obviously, else how
> > > would all
> > > > the other people know wether or not the question had been answered?
> > > >
> > > > He asked. I answered. No one else needed to, unless there was
> > > something else
> > > > to add. It's that simple.
> > > >
> > > > There's no such thing as a stupid question.
> > > >
> > > > Alex Miller
> > > >
> > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > From: Racer X [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > > > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 5:09 PM
> > > > > To: Alex Miller
> > > > > Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To
> > > > > Subject: Re: info
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > If you insist on doing this, could do please do the rest
> of the list a
> > > > > favor and not CC us on replies?  We already know how to
> > > unsubscribe from
> > > > > the mailing list because we read the welcome message when we
> > > subscribed in
> > > > > the first place.
> > > > >
> > > > > shag
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > > From: Alex Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > > Cc: Qmail@List. Cr. Yp. To <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > > Sent: Fri 2 Jul 1999 11.32
> > > > > Subject: RE: info
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > > The way to unsubscribe from an ezmlm list is based on it's name.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > This name of this list is [EMAIL PROTECTED] (via the
> > > People's Republic
> > > > > of
> > > > > > Tonga)
> > > > > >
> > > > > > So to unsubscribe send a blank email to this address:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] from your subscribing
> email address.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > For more about ezmlm check out http://www.ezmlm.org it
> has a lot of
> > > > > > convenient features, for example, when you get back from
> > > vacation, you
> > > > > can
> > > > > > get all the past emails by number.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Alex Miller
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > > > > > Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 1:44 PM
> > > > > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > > > > Subject: info
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi
> > > > > > May sombody point me where I should send msg to unsubscribe
> > > > > > from this list. I'm taking vacation and may mailbox will
> > be very fast
> > > > > > full.........
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Jozef
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>






On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 02:27:23PM -0400, Alex Miller wrote:
> It seems then that
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> is not the name you subscribed with.
> 
> The message back from ezmlm should have said:
> 
> Acknowledgment: I have removed the address
> 
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> from this mailing list.
> 
> NOT
> 
> Acknowledgment: The address
> 
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> is not on this mailing list.
> 
> You must have been subscribed as:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> instead of
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> which you send and recieve mail from both.
> 
> It would be nice, if for ezmlm there were the command:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Maybe that could be a cybergood open-source project to write.

How is it supposed to know who you are, since we're assuming that the envelope
sender address of the message you send to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
isn't the same as the address you're subscribed under?

> Anyway, since there isn't an unsubscribe-name=host.domain command

Certainly there is. If he knew what address he was subscribed under, he could
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

He can find out what address he's subscribed under by looking at the header of
a message from the list. Here's the Return-Path from a message I received from
this list:

Return-Path: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>From this I know that I'm subscribed under the address
[EMAIL PROTECTED] If I wanted to get off of the list I'd send a
message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I'd
get the confirmation back, reply to it, and I'd be off.

Chris




> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Saturday, July 03, 1999 2:47 PM
> To: Alex Miller
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: info
>
>
> On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 02:27:23PM -0400, Alex Miller wrote:
> > It seems then that
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > is not the name you subscribed with.
> >
> > The message back from ezmlm should have said:
> >
> > Acknowledgment: I have removed the address
> >
> >    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > from this mailing list.
> >
> > NOT
> >
> > Acknowledgment: The address
> >
> >     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > is not on this mailing list.
> >
> > You must have been subscribed as:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > instead of
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > which you send and recieve mail from both.
> >
> > It would be nice, if for ezmlm there were the command:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Maybe that could be a cybergood open-source project to write.
>
> How is it supposed to know who you are, since we're assuming that
> the envelope
> sender address of the message you send to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> isn't the same as the address you're subscribed under?

Precisely. If such a command existed he could have used it.

It would work like this.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

the response in his case would have been.

You are [EMAIL PROTECTED], not a current member of this list.

That's just clearer than deduction from failure.

He'd still have to read the header but it could part of a proactive
procedure to unsubscribe.

>
> > Anyway, since there isn't an unsubscribe-name=host.domain command
>
> Certainly there is. If he knew what address he was subscribed
> under, he could
> send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> He can find out what address he's subscribed under by looking at
> the header of
> a message from the list. Here's the Return-Path from a message I
> received from
> this list:
>
> Return-Path:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> From this I know that I'm subscribed under the address
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] If I wanted to get off of the
> list I'd send a
> message to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] I'd
> get the confirmation back, reply to it, and I'd be off.

Oh, I tried it last night before I sent him the message, as at test.
I subscribed [EMAIL PROTECTED]
then I sent the command
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It failed, saying:

<snip>

The message I received wasn't sent to any of my command addresses.

<snip>

--- Here are the ezmlm command addresses.

I can handle administrative requests automatically.
Just send an empty note to any of these addresses:

   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
   Receive future messages sent to the mailing list.

   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
   Stop receiving messages.

   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
   Retrieve a copy of message 12345 from the archive.

DO NOT SEND ADMINISTRATIVE REQUESTS TO THE MAILING LIST!
If you do, I won't see them, and subscribers will yell at you.

To specify [EMAIL PROTECTED] as your subscription address, send mail
to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
I'll send a confirmation message to that address; when you receive that
message, simply reply to it to complete your subscription.

So, I took that to mean that although
[EMAIL PROTECTED] was allowed but
[EMAIL PROTECTED] was not, since it wasn't
listed and it was rejected.

Of course it was rejected because of a misspelling, not because it is not
included in the command set.

>
> Chris
>





Greetings,

Is there a way to have double bounce messages deleted instead of
delivered to the Postmaster (me)? I get a dozen spam email's a day in my
mailbox because they are double bounced. They are sent to an invalid
Email on my server, bounced back to the sender who is using a false
address, then sent back to me. It's not as simple as simply adding the
spammer's Email address into Qmail because it changes every time. I just
reviewed about 20 double bounce messages I've received over the last
couple days and out of all of them, there were two with the same sender
address.

-- Andy
___________________

Andrew Beebe
Maine Web Design
RR 2 Box 363 A
Bridgton, ME 04009
(207) 647-8411
http://www.datamaine.com




On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 09:25:47AM -0400, Andrew Beebe wrote:
> Is there a way to have double bounce messages deleted instead of delivered to
> the Postmaster (me)?

In control/doublebounceto, put something like:

&doublebounce

And in ~alias/.qmail-doublebounce, put a single '#'

See the qmail-send man page for more on control/doublebounceto.

Chris




On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 10:53:20 -0700, Oden Eriksson wrote:

>What I mean is the part (#5.7.1), and other simular errors. ?

rfc1893.

-Sincerely, Fred

(Frederik Lindberg, Infectious Diseases, WashU, St. Louis, MO, USA)






qmail-unsubscribe




Mailing-List: contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]; run by ezmlm

Gentry L. Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
| qmail-unsubscribe

Didn't we just go over this?  Send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Apparently inband signaling is good human factors.  People can't resist
trying it.)

--
Mailing-List: contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]; run by ezmlm




On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 01:02:21AM -0400, Alex Miller wrote:
> I looked at Linux for dummies at one point but didn't find much there I
> didn't already know. I'm all for primers in general though.
> 
> My current collection:
 
> [snip]
> 
> Any other books you can think of that are worthwhile, particularly those
> that might help with installing QMail.

Essential System Administration
TCP/IP Network Administration 

-- 
John White     johnjohn
             at
               triceratops.com
PGP Public Key: http://www.triceratops.com/john/public-key.pgp




Hi... I sent this info in a few days ago... Does anyone see anything wrong
with my setup???  Or is the stoppage one of those mystery type things??

Thanks,
--
Doug
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Doug Lumpkin wrote:

> Answers follow below...
>
> Dave Sill wrote:
>
> > Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > snip...
>
> > How are you running qmail-smtpd? Via tcpserver, inetd, or what? Show
> > us the the commands.
> >
>
> tcpserver...
> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 smtp
> \
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
>
> > snip...
> >
> > How about providing "ps -ef|grep qmail" (or "ps waux|grep qmail")
> > output before and during a "telnet localhost 25" attempt.
> >
>
> Before:
> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> qmail-send
> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> /usr/local/bin/tc
> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s
> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger
> qmail
> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> qmail-lspawn ./Ma
> ildir/
> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> qmail-rspawn
> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> qmail-clean
> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> /usr/local/bin/tc
> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer
> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> bin/qmail-inject
> -a -- root
>
> During:
> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> qmail-send
> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> /usr/local/bin/tc
> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s
> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger
> qmail
> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> qmail-lspawn ./Ma
> ildir/
> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> qmail-rspawn
> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> qmail-clean
> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> /usr/local/bin/tc
> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer
> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> bin/qmail-inject
> -a -- root
> qmaild   25244  0.0  0.2  1072  296 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> /var/qmail/bin/qm
> ail-smtpd
> root     25257  0.0  0.3  1148  388 pts/0    R    Jun30   0:00 grep
> qmail
>
> >
> > -Dave





Doug,

This is a stumper. The lack of responses means "I don't know what's going
on here. I'm not going to speculate!"

There is (most likely!!!) an obvious solution, but it's not apparent to me.

Exactly what OS are you running? How often does the hang occur? When the
hang occurs, can you kill -ALRM qmail-send or kill -TERM qmail-send? (You
said you killed it, right? kill -9 or what?) What happens if you kill -9
qmail-smtpd instead of qmail-send?


At 04:33 PM 7/3/99 , Doug Lumpkin wrote:
>Hi... I sent this info in a few days ago... Does anyone see anything wrong
>with my setup???  Or is the stoppage one of those mystery type things??
>
>Thanks,
>--
>Doug
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Doug Lumpkin wrote:
>
>> Answers follow below...
>>
>> Dave Sill wrote:
>>
>> > Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > snip...
>>
>> > How are you running qmail-smtpd? Via tcpserver, inetd, or what? Show
>> > us the the commands.
>> >
>>
>> tcpserver...
>> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 smtp
>> \
>> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
>>
>> > snip...
>> >
>> > How about providing "ps -ef|grep qmail" (or "ps waux|grep qmail")
>> > output before and during a "telnet localhost 25" attempt.
>> >
>>
>> Before:
>> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-send
>> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /usr/local/bin/tc
>> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s
>> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger
>> qmail
>> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-lspawn ./Ma
>> ildir/
>> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-rspawn
>> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-clean
>> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /usr/local/bin/tc
>> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer
>> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> bin/qmail-inject
>> -a -- root
>>
>> During:
>> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-send
>> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /usr/local/bin/tc
>> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s
>> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger
>> qmail
>> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-lspawn ./Ma
>> ildir/
>> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-rspawn
>> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-clean
>> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /usr/local/bin/tc
>> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer
>> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> bin/qmail-inject
>> -a -- root
>> qmaild   25244  0.0  0.2  1072  296 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /var/qmail/bin/qm
>> ail-smtpd
>> root     25257  0.0  0.3  1148  388 pts/0    R    Jun30   0:00 grep
>> qmail
>>
>> >
>> > -Dave
>


______________________
NovaMetrix Development 
Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck
and programmer

P.O. Box 635 or        910-653-4006
106-B S. Main St       800-773-5647
Tabor City, NC 28463   910-653-2052 FAX






The first time it hung I just killed everything related to qmail and reran my rc.qmail file with all my boot up scripts... assuming it was just a fluke... The second time I had someone testing a web-based email form, so I really didn't have time to experiment with it so I just:
killall qmail-send
killall qmail-smtp

Then restarted with:
csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &'
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 smtp \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &

It's running on a Redhat 6.0 box.  It hasn't happened again thankfully, but it's not a production server and has a very small load... What would be a recommended procedure for diagnosing the exact problem the next time it occurs?

--
Thanks,
Doug Lumpkin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Robbie Walker wrote:

Doug,

This is a stumper. The lack of responses means "I don't know what's going
on here. I'm not going to speculate!"

There is (most likely!!!) an obvious solution, but it's not apparent to me.

Exactly what OS are you running? How often does the hang occur? When the
hang occurs, can you kill -ALRM qmail-send or kill -TERM qmail-send? (You
said you killed it, right? kill -9 or what?) What happens if you kill -9
qmail-smtpd instead of qmail-send?

At 04:33 PM 7/3/99 , Doug Lumpkin wrote:
>Hi... I sent this info in a few days ago... Does anyone see anything wrong
>with my setup???  Or is the stoppage one of those mystery type things??
>
>Thanks,
>--
>Doug
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Doug Lumpkin wrote:
>
>> Answers follow below...
>>
>> Dave Sill wrote:
>>
>> > Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > snip...
>>
>> > How are you running qmail-smtpd? Via tcpserver, inetd, or what? Show
>> > us the the commands.
>> >
>>
>> tcpserver...
>> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 smtp
>> \
>> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
>>
>> > snip...
>> >
>> > How about providing "ps -ef|grep qmail" (or "ps waux|grep qmail")
>> > output before and during a "telnet localhost 25" attempt.
>> >
>>
>> Before:
>> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-send
>> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /usr/local/bin/tc
>> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s
>> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger
>> qmail
>> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-lspawn ./Ma
>> ildir/
>> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-rspawn
>> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-clean
>> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /usr/local/bin/tc
>> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer
>> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> bin/qmail-inject
>> -a -- root
>>
>> During:
>> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-send
>> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /usr/local/bin/tc
>> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s
>> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger
>> qmail
>> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-lspawn ./Ma
>> ildir/
>> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-rspawn
>> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> qmail-clean
>> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /usr/local/bin/tc
>> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer
>> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> bin/qmail-inject
>> -a -- root
>> qmaild   25244  0.0  0.2  1072  296 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
>> /var/qmail/bin/qm
>> ail-smtpd
>> root     25257  0.0  0.3  1148  388 pts/0    R    Jun30   0:00 grep
>> qmail
>>
>> >
>> > -Dave
>

______________________
NovaMetrix Development
Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck
and programmer

P.O. Box 635 or        910-653-4006
106-B S. Main St       800-773-5647
Tabor City, NC 28463   910-653-2052 FAX





I have a hunch that it's something NOT qmail related, but to be honest, I don't
know where to start on something like this. You might want to consider running
to test shell scripts to generate a load and see what happens. Good Luck. Keep
the list posted, cause if this does turn out to be a qmail problem Dan will
certainly want to know about it.

At 07:26 PM 7/3/99 , you wrote: 
>
> The first time it hung I just killed everything related to qmail and reran my
> rc.qmail file with all my boot up scripts... assuming it was just a fluke...
> The second time I had someone testing a web-based email form, so I really
> didn't have time to experiment with it so I just: 
> killall qmail-send 
> killall qmail-smtp 
>
> Then restarted with: 
> csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &' 
> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 smtp \ 
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd & 
>
> It's running on a Redhat 6.0 box.  It hasn't happened again thankfully, but
> it's not a production server and has a very small load... What would be a
> recommended procedure for diagnosing the exact problem the next time it
> occurs? 
>
> -- 
> Thanks, 
> Doug Lumpkin 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
>
> Robbie Walker wrote: 
>>
>> Doug, 
>>
>> This is a stumper. The lack of responses means "I don't know what's going 
>> on here. I'm not going to speculate!" 
>>
>> There is (most likely!!!) an obvious solution, but it's not apparent to me. 
>>
>> Exactly what OS are you running? How often does the hang occur? When the 
>> hang occurs, can you kill -ALRM qmail-send or kill -TERM qmail-send? (You 
>> said you killed it, right? kill -9 or what?) What happens if you kill -9 
>> qmail-smtpd instead of qmail-send? 
>>
>> At 04:33 PM 7/3/99 , Doug Lumpkin wrote: 
>> >Hi... I sent this info in a few days ago... Does anyone see anything wrong 
>> >with my setup???  Or is the stoppage one of those mystery type things?? 
>> > 
>> >Thanks, 
>> >-- 
>> >Doug 
>> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
>> > 
>> >Doug Lumpkin wrote: 
>> > 
>> >> Answers follow below... 
>> >> 
>> >> Dave Sill wrote: 
>> >> 
>> >> > Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: 
>> >> > snip... 
>> >> 
>> >> > How are you running qmail-smtpd? Via tcpserver, inetd, or what? Show 
>> >> > us the the commands. 
>> >> > 
>> >> 
>> >> tcpserver... 
>> >> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 smtp 
>> >> \ 
>> >> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd & 
>> >> 
>> >> > snip... 
>> >> > 
>> >> > How about providing "ps -ef|grep qmail" (or "ps waux|grep qmail") 
>> >> > output before and during a "telnet localhost 25" attempt. 
>> >> > 
>> >> 
>> >> Before: 
>> >> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> qmail-send 
>> >> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> /usr/local/bin/tc 
>> >> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s 
>> >> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger 
>> >> qmail 
>> >> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> qmail-lspawn ./Ma 
>> >> ildir/ 
>> >> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> qmail-rspawn 
>> >> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> qmail-clean 
>> >> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> /usr/local/bin/tc 
>> >> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer 
>> >> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> bin/qmail-inject 
>> >> -a -- root 
>> >> 
>> >> During: 
>> >> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> qmail-send 
>> >> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> /usr/local/bin/tc 
>> >> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s 
>> >> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger 
>> >> qmail 
>> >> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> qmail-lspawn ./Ma 
>> >> ildir/ 
>> >> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> qmail-rspawn 
>> >> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> qmail-clean 
>> >> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> /usr/local/bin/tc 
>> >> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer 
>> >> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> bin/qmail-inject 
>> >> -a -- root 
>> >> qmaild   25244  0.0  0.2  1072  296 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 
>> >> /var/qmail/bin/qm 
>> >> ail-smtpd 
>> >> root     25257  0.0  0.3  1148  388 pts/0    R    Jun30   0:00 grep 
>> >> qmail 
>> >> 
>> >> > 
>> >> > -Dave 
>> > 
>>
>> ______________________ 
>> NovaMetrix Development 
>> Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck 
>> and programmer 
>>
>> P.O. Box 635 or        910-653-4006 
>> 106-B S. Main St       800-773-5647 
>> Tabor City, NC 28463   910-653-2052 FAX
>




______________________
NovaMetrix Development 
Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck
and programmer

P.O. Box 635 or        910-653-4006
106-B S. Main St       800-773-5647
Tabor City, NC 28463   910-653-2052 FAX
ICQ #32870540






I'm not sure what else it might be though.  All other services run just fine
before, during and after the problem.  It was a clean install of Redhat 6.0 a
little over two weeks ago and once the qmail is stopped and restarted the problem
disappears.  You take a ps aux and none of the qmail-daemons have died, there is
just no response to anything sent to port 25.  If any one else has any suggestions,
I'd be glad to listen :-)

--
Doug Lumpkin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]


Robbie Walker wrote:

> I have a hunch that it's something NOT qmail related, but to be honest, I don't
> know where to start on something like this. You might want to consider running
> to test shell scripts to generate a load and see what happens. Good Luck. Keep
> the list posted, cause if this does turn out to be a qmail problem Dan will
> certainly want to know about it.
>
> At 07:26 PM 7/3/99 , you wrote:
> >
> > The first time it hung I just killed everything related to qmail and reran my
> > rc.qmail file with all my boot up scripts... assuming it was just a fluke...
> > The second time I had someone testing a web-based email form, so I really
> > didn't have time to experiment with it so I just:
> > killall qmail-send
> > killall qmail-smtp
> >
> > Then restarted with:
> > csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &'
> > /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 smtp \
> > /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
> >
> > It's running on a Redhat 6.0 box.  It hasn't happened again thankfully, but
> > it's not a production server and has a very small load... What would be a
> > recommended procedure for diagnosing the exact problem the next time it
> > occurs?
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Doug Lumpkin
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Robbie Walker wrote:
> >>
> >> Doug,
> >>
> >> This is a stumper. The lack of responses means "I don't know what's going
> >> on here. I'm not going to speculate!"
> >>
> >> There is (most likely!!!) an obvious solution, but it's not apparent to me.
> >>
> >> Exactly what OS are you running? How often does the hang occur? When the
> >> hang occurs, can you kill -ALRM qmail-send or kill -TERM qmail-send? (You
> >> said you killed it, right? kill -9 or what?) What happens if you kill -9
> >> qmail-smtpd instead of qmail-send?
> >>
> >> At 04:33 PM 7/3/99 , Doug Lumpkin wrote:
> >> >Hi... I sent this info in a few days ago... Does anyone see anything wrong
> >> >with my setup???  Or is the stoppage one of those mystery type things??
> >> >
> >> >Thanks,
> >> >--
> >> >Doug
> >> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> >
> >> >Doug Lumpkin wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Answers follow below...
> >> >>
> >> >> Dave Sill wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> > Doug Lumpkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> >> > snip...
> >> >>
> >> >> > How are you running qmail-smtpd? Via tcpserver, inetd, or what? Show
> >> >> > us the the commands.
> >> >> >
> >> >>
> >> >> tcpserver...
> >> >> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 smtp
> >> >> \
> >> >> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
> >> >>
> >> >> > snip...
> >> >> >
> >> >> > How about providing "ps -ef|grep qmail" (or "ps waux|grep qmail")
> >> >> > output before and during a "telnet localhost 25" attempt.
> >> >> >
> >> >>
> >> >> Before:
> >> >> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> qmail-send
> >> >> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> /usr/local/bin/tc
> >> >> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s
> >> >> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger
> >> >> qmail
> >> >> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> qmail-lspawn ./Ma
> >> >> ildir/
> >> >> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> qmail-rspawn
> >> >> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> qmail-clean
> >> >> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> /usr/local/bin/tc
> >> >> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer
> >> >> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> bin/qmail-inject
> >> >> -a -- root
> >> >>
> >> >> During:
> >> >> qmails    8350  0.0  0.2  1108  364 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> qmail-send
> >> >> qmaild    8351  0.0  0.4  1304  564 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> /usr/local/bin/tc
> >> >> pserver -R -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u502 -g500 0 s
> >> >> qmaill    8352  0.0  0.3  1080  412 ?        S    Jun30   0:00 splogger
> >> >> qmail
> >> >> root      8353  0.0  0.2  1068  316 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> qmail-lspawn ./Ma
> >> >> ildir/
> >> >> qmailr    8354  0.0  0.2  1068  320 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> qmail-rspawn
> >> >> qmailq    8355  0.0  0.2  1060  324 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> qmail-clean
> >> >> root      8356  0.0  0.4  1304  560 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> /usr/local/bin/tc
> >> >> pserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mark.bauer
> >> >> root      9874  0.0  0.2  1096  300 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> bin/qmail-inject
> >> >> -a -- root
> >> >> qmaild   25244  0.0  0.2  1072  296 ?        S    Jun30   0:00
> >> >> /var/qmail/bin/qm
> >> >> ail-smtpd
> >> >> root     25257  0.0  0.3  1148  388 pts/0    R    Jun30   0:00 grep
> >> >> qmail
> >> >>
> >> >> >
> >> >> > -Dave
> >> >
> >>
> >> ______________________
> >> NovaMetrix Development
> >> Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck
> >> and programmer
> >>
> >> P.O. Box 635 or        910-653-4006
> >> 106-B S. Main St       800-773-5647
> >> Tabor City, NC 28463   910-653-2052 FAX
> >
>
> ______________________
> NovaMetrix Development
> Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck
> and programmer
>
> P.O. Box 635 or        910-653-4006
> 106-B S. Main St       800-773-5647
> Tabor City, NC 28463   910-653-2052 FAX
> ICQ #32870540





On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Doug Lumpkin wrote:

> It's running on a Redhat 6.0 box.  It hasn't happened again thankfully, but
> it's not a production server and has a very small load... What would be a
> recommended procedure for diagnosing the exact problem the next time it occurs?

There are quite a number of different things you can do.

* Attach strace to the process, when it hangs. This should tell you if
it's stuck in some system call, or if it's looping.  RTFM "man strace".

* If strace doesn't offer much of clue, attach the process to your
favorite debugger.  Pray that you can get a strack trace out of it, and
see exactly where it's hanging.

* Take a look around in /proc/pid#, to see what the process is doing. RTFM
"man proc".  You'll be able to see what files the stuck process has open,
what signals it has blocked, etc...  You can find lots of usefull stuff in
there.

Note: djb's default Makefile strips out all debug stuff out of the
executable, so a debugger won't be much good unless you recompile
everything with debugging turned on.

P.S.  No problems with Qmail 1.03 on multiple machines, with
kernel-2.2.5-22





Is qmail-smtpd the only service running under tcpserver?

If so, it may be a tcpserver problem.

At 07:42 PM 7/3/99 , you wrote:
>I'm not sure what else it might be though.  All other services run just fine
>before, during and after the problem.  It was a clean install of Redhat 6.0 a
>little over two weeks ago and once the qmail is stopped and restarted the 
>problem
>disappears.  You take a ps aux and none of the qmail-daemons have died, 
>there is
>just no response to anything sent to port 25.  If any one else has any 
>suggestions,
>I'd be glad to listen :-)
>
>--
>Doug Lumpkin
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-snip-
______________________
NovaMetrix Development 
Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck
and programmer

P.O. Box 635 or        910-653-4006
106-B S. Main St       800-773-5647
Tabor City, NC 28463   910-653-2052 FAX
ICQ #32870540






And the qmail-popper...
--
Doug
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Robbie Walker wrote:

> Is qmail-smtpd the only service running under tcpserver?
>
> If so, it may be a tcpserver problem.
>
> At 07:42 PM 7/3/99 , you wrote:
> >I'm not sure what else it might be though.  All other services run just fine
> >before, during and after the problem.  It was a clean install of Redhat 6.0 a
> >little over two weeks ago and once the qmail is stopped and restarted the
> >problem
> >disappears.  You take a ps aux and none of the qmail-daemons have died,
> >there is
> >just no response to anything sent to port 25.  If any one else has any
> >suggestions,
> >I'd be glad to listen :-)
> >
> >--
> >Doug Lumpkin
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -snip-
> ______________________
> NovaMetrix Development
> Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck
> and programmer
>
> P.O. Box 635 or        910-653-4006
> 106-B S. Main St       800-773-5647
> Tabor City, NC 28463   910-653-2052 FAX
> ICQ #32870540





Hey all,

It has been about 6 months since I last set up a qmail system, at which time
I thouroughly understood how qmail operates and was successful in creating a
virtual only virtual domain system.

I am now trying to build a new system and am at a mental block I guess, I
cannot for the life of me remember how I did some local routing...even after
looking at the old system...;(

I know I can use the alias user on this system, (I didn't before) because
there is only one domain. I would like the alias user to control all the
email and dump messages in the appropriate local user dir based on whatever
address. Although I want to build my address lookups in a database. I have
not been able to figure out how to get FORWARD to direct the mail into the
appropriate directory (a virtual, local user dir)..

My idea:

mail comes to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

~alias has a .qmail-jim which contains ./usr/home/a55500/Maildir

the /usr/home/a55500 and sub dirs are owned by alias

I can't even get a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to end up in that Maildir, let
alone doing a lookup from:

~alias/.qmail-default (containing an app to return a dir from an email
address)


If I am making any sense at all, could someone give me a hand and bang some
sense back into my head?


ultimately I want a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to hit ~alias/.qmail-default
which looks up the jim from a db and returns a Maildir to place the message
in, then places the message there, end of story, transfer complete...




-Dave
California Internet Connection







On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 05:35:36PM -0700, Dave wrote:
> mail comes to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> ~alias has a .qmail-jim which contains ./usr/home/a55500/Maildir

I'm confused about whether you're directing to a local or canonical
dir.  Also, you need to terminate with a ``/'' or else qmail-local
thinks you're directing to a mailBOX instead of a mailDIR.

man dot-qmail
 
> ~alias/.qmail-default (containing an app to return a dir from an email
> address)
 
This is a whole different level of trickiness.  I've done exactly
what you're talking about, but I needed to write a perl module to
execute it.  

Essentially, you need to deliver the message to an executable in
.qmail-default
That executable should then to the db lookup (I use cdb in my sample)
based on whatever key you've decided on.  Sounds like you want
$RECIPIENT or something.  man qmail-command to see the environment
variables which are set up for you.

My perl module is at:
ftp://triceratops.com/pub/software/john/Qmail-Maildir-0.31.tar.gz 

I use it two ways:  I sort based on SENDER for various mailing lists,
and I sort based on DEFAULT for various other mailing lists. :)

I'm not saying it's better than Mail::Maildir or whatever is on
CPAN, but it does have some cool examples on how to do what I just
described.  You'd just want to construct a key based on the recipient
rather than the sender, but everything else should be the same.

-- 
John White     johnjohn
             at
               triceratops.com
PGP Public Key: http://www.triceratops.com/john/public-key.pgp






> On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 05:35:36PM -0700, Dave wrote:
> > mail comes to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > ~alias has a .qmail-jim which contains ./usr/home/a55500/Maildir
>
> I'm confused about whether you're directing to a local or canonical
> dir.  Also, you need to terminate with a ``/'' or else qmail-local
> thinks you're directing to a mailBOX instead of a mailDIR.

Yep...your right John, I left off the / in this example, and it is a local
dir that physically exists

> man dot-qmail
>
> > ~alias/.qmail-default (containing an app to return a dir from an email
> > address)
>
> This is a whole different level of trickiness.  I've done exactly
> what you're talking about, but I needed to write a perl module to
> execute it.
>
> Essentially, you need to deliver the message to an executable in
> .qmail-default
> That executable should then to the db lookup (I use cdb in my sample)
> based on whatever key you've decided on.  Sounds like you want
> $RECIPIENT or something.  man qmail-command to see the environment
> variables which are set up for you.

Yep...but is the qmail-default in ~alias ?

If so...why should I not be able to have a .qmail-test in ~alias which
contains:

./usr/home/a55500/Maildir/
(this dir DOES exist and is owned by alias)

and have [EMAIL PROTECTED] end up in the above Maildir? In /var/log/maillog I
am getting unable to chdir, but I have set /usr/home and /usr/home/a55500
and /usr/home/a55500/Maildir and all subdirs to be owned by alias.

I know I am doing something wrong here...

a .qmail-test which contains [EMAIL PROTECTED] properly sends
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to [EMAIL PROTECTED] but


> My perl module is at:
> ftp://triceratops.com/pub/software/john/Qmail-Maildir-0.31.tar.gz
>

Looks real good John...if I can just figure out what is wrong with my
permissions...I think your package will work for lookups...

> I use it two ways:  I sort based on SENDER for various mailing lists,
> and I sort based on DEFAULT for various other mailing lists. :)
>
> I'm not saying it's better than Mail::Maildir or whatever is on
> CPAN, but it does have some cool examples on how to do what I just
> described.  You'd just want to construct a key based on the recipient
> rather than the sender, but everything else should be the same.
>
> --
> John White     johnjohn
>              at
>                triceratops.com
> PGP Public Key: http://www.triceratops.com/john/public-key.pgp
>





On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 06:20:14PM -0700, Dave wrote:
> If so...why should I not be able to have a .qmail-test in ~alias which
> contains:
> 
> ./usr/home/a55500/Maildir/
> (this dir DOES exist and is owned by alias)
> 
> and have [EMAIL PROTECTED] end up in the above Maildir? In /var/log/maillog I
> am getting unable to chdir, but I have set /usr/home and /usr/home/a55500
> and /usr/home/a55500/Maildir and all subdirs to be owned by alias.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, you're referencing a local
directory ./usr/home/a55500/Maildir/ from ~alias.  In other words,
~alias/usr/home/a55500/Maildir/

Is that what you mean to do?  If not, then lose the leading ``.''
in
./usr/home/a55500/Maildir/
^
|
 
> > My perl module is at:
> > ftp://triceratops.com/pub/software/john/Qmail-Maildir-0.31.tar.gz
> >
> 
> Looks real good John...if I can just figure out what is wrong with my
> permissions...I think your package will work for lookups...

Heh.  The package is just for deliveries.  The lookups are all
in perl.  And not even in pure perl, if I remember correctly.
Is there cdb key lookup support in CPAN? 
 
-- 
John White     johnjohn
             at
               triceratops.com
PGP Public Key: http://www.triceratops.com/john/public-key.pgp




My question is (actually I got a couple), I will be having virtual hosts
and I want to have user-level From: fields instead of it using the
defaulthost for all of the users.

Meaning user bob maintains virtual domain, hi.com. When he sends email
using
any of the MUAs I want it to say From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of the 
local name from control/defaulthost. I can set user-domain=hi.com in
pinerc but i want to be able to do this with .qmail itself. 


Secondly, I am switching to Maildirs but it wants me to set MAILTMP and
MAILDIR variables. The latter is obvious but the MAILTMP, what is a 
recommended file/dir I should set MAILTMP to? What does it actually
store in this temp file/dir?


Third and final, /usr/bin/login program lets you know if you have new
email or not when you login. This is not possible if we are using
Maildirs. I would like my users to know if they have new email at login. 

I have tried to modify it to call maildir2mbox before it checks for new
email but it wasn't successfull. Is there a patch to login/qmail that can
check if you have recevied new email or not?


Kind regards,

Anil Jangity

Network Admin/Web
http://www.entic.net                    
[EMAIL PROTECTED]







On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Anil Jangity wrote:

> My question is (actually I got a couple), I will be having virtual hosts
> and I want to have user-level From: fields instead of it using the
> defaulthost for all of the users.
> 
> Meaning user bob maintains virtual domain, hi.com. When he sends email
> using
> any of the MUAs I want it to say From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of the 
> local name from control/defaulthost. I can set user-domain=hi.com in
> pinerc but i want to be able to do this with .qmail itself. 

In /etc/profile (or an equivalent), set the environment variables MAILUSER
and MAILHOST appropriately.

> I have tried to modify it to call maildir2mbox before it checks for new
> email but it wasn't successfull. Is there a patch to login/qmail that can
> check if you have recevied new email or not?

In /etc/profile (or an equivalent), check if there is anything in
$HOME/Maildir/new.






setting MAILUSER/MAILHOST variables doesnt seem to be working. i guess
pine doesn't read those envs. its no biggie. i guess i will have them edit
.pinerc files.


as for checking if there is new mail from /etc/profile.. thats a good
idea and i was able to get it to work. 

BUT, login(1) checks if I got mail and also reports it. so it really says
if i got mail or not twice. (login ofcourse always says no new email cuz
its not checking maildirs)

i have (re)compiled login and commented out the appropriate lines that do
the mail checking. when when i run the ./login (from the source) 
executable it doesnt report any thing.. which is good. after make install
of login(1) i telnet but for some reason it reports that there is mail.
what is happening here?

/usr/bin/login is my new editied version of login. this is on freebsd. i
have no other login exec anywhere else. i looked at my telnetd src and is
pointing the login program to /usr/bin/login. any hints?



On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Sam wrote:

> 
> 
> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Anil Jangity wrote:
> 
> > My question is (actually I got a couple), I will be having virtual hosts
> > and I want to have user-level From: fields instead of it using the
> > defaulthost for all of the users.
> > 
> > Meaning user bob maintains virtual domain, hi.com. When he sends email
> > using
> > any of the MUAs I want it to say From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of the 
> > local name from control/defaulthost. I can set user-domain=hi.com in
> > pinerc but i want to be able to do this with .qmail itself. 
> 
> In /etc/profile (or an equivalent), set the environment variables MAILUSER
> and MAILHOST appropriately.
> 
> > I have tried to modify it to call maildir2mbox before it checks for new
> > email but it wasn't successfull. Is there a patch to login/qmail that can
> > check if you have recevied new email or not?
> 
> In /etc/profile (or an equivalent), check if there is anything in
> $HOME/Maildir/new.
> 
> 
> 


Kind regards,

Anil Jangity

Network Admin/Web
http://www.entic.net                    
[EMAIL PROTECTED]





On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Anil Jangity wrote:

> setting MAILUSER/MAILHOST variables doesnt seem to be working. i guess

*ENVIRONMENT* variables, not shell variables.

> pine doesn't read those envs. its no biggie. i guess i will have them edit
> .pinerc files.

No, pine doesn't read those environment variables.  They are read by
qmail-inject.  You *have* configured Pine to run qmail-inject, right?








On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Robbie Walker wrote:

Hi Robbie

> A couple of things.
 
> You don't need the rc.local line if you are going to use Dave's script.
> The script takes care of that. Personally the script looks like the BEST
> way to handle this situation. I don't use it, but that's because "if it
> ain't broke don't fix it". If I was starting over with qmail today (or
> tomorrow when the server dies [grin]) I'd use this method. It is obviously
> superior.

Thanks I shall remove the line.
where do I call daves script.
Please note I do not have sendmail installed at boot time.
and the whole setup is based on a replacement of sendmail.
with a new link to qmail's sendmail.
this will not work as sendmail is not up on my system.

I suppose I could start it up in rc.local,
but there might be a better place.
ie the normal place that sendmail starts up.

> I think you're problem is the permissions on /usr/local/sbin and possible
> /etc/rc.d/init.d (I don't see them). chmod 0755 /usr/local/sbin and chmod
> 0755 /etc/rc.d/init.d

Thanks, I tried it all and found it all ok.
In my frustration I did a HEX view of the file and found
the end of line to be 0d0a instead of the regular 0a


I had downloaded it on a DOS system and saved the file.
and that caused the problem,

I removed the 0D with zip -ll and it works now.
I will do some more testing and come back to you later.

I shall keep in touch.
Thanks again.

Jacob.


 






I don't know why.  But qmail absolutely refuses to read ~alias/.qmail-root.

If I send e-mail to root, it goes to ~alias/.qmail-postmaster.

I've just recompiled and reinstalled qmail, and it's doing the same thing.

It doesn't do this on any of my other hosts.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

--Adam




Hi,

I am happy that I can already send mail to each virtual domain user, but
unfortunately till now I am not able to get it to work that the user can
pickup the e-mails.

(part of rc.local:)
echo "starting qmail..."
csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &'
#
echo "starting qmail-smtp..."
#/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -c100 -u 65534 0 smtp
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -u 5635 -g 101 -c400 0 smtp
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
2>&1 |/var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &
#
echo "starting qmail-popup..."
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
www.trace.net.tw \
/var/qmail/bin/checkpoppasswd /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &


The program checkpoppasswd.c did not compile with "-lcrypt", however
without it did. (I use Linux Slackware 3.6 with kernel 2.2.4 on this
machine).
The test telnet wiplinger.org 110 looks so:

+OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
USER ronald
+OK
PASS  passwd
-ERR authorization failed

(connection to host lost)

DNS settings:
@               IN      SOA     wiplinger.org.  ronald.trace.net.tw. (
                        199906190 ; serial
                        172800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        3600000 ; expire
                        172800 ; default_ttl
                        )

                IN      NS      dns.trace.net.tw.
                IN      NS      dns2.trace.net.tw.

                IN      A       202.80.128.231
                IN      MX      0       www.trace.net.tw.
mail            IN      CNAME   wiplinger.org.
www             IN      CNAME   wiplinger.org.
ftp             IN      CNAME   wiplinger.org.



Can anybody give me a hand on that?

--
Ronald Wiplinger (�Q����)  http://www.trace.net.tw
phone number = e-mail:
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

begin:vcard 
n:Wiplinger;Ronald
tel;pager:0943-154953
tel;cell:0935-869459
tel;fax:2600-0132
tel;home:2609-0652 ext. 80
tel;work:2609-0652 ext. 12
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.trace.net.tw
org:Wang's Trace Tech. Enterprise Co., Ltd.
adr:;;No. 11, Lane 96, Sec. 1, Wen Hua 2nd Road, Linkou Hsian;Taipei Hsien;;24442;Taiwan
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Gen. Manager
fn:Ronald Wiplinger
end:vcard


Reply via email to