On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Doug Lumpkin wrote:

> I'm not sure what else it might be though.  All other services run just
> fine before, during and after the problem.  It was a clean install of
> Redhat 6.0 a little over two weeks ago and once the qmail is stopped and
> restarted the problem disappears.  You take a ps aux and none of the
> qmail-daemons have died, there is just no response to anything sent to
> port 25.  If any one else has any suggestions, I'd be glad to listen :-)

simple things first...

if qmail-smptd stops working then the problem is either with qmail-smtpd
or qmail-queue. qmail-queue writes the message in the queue and tells
qmail-send that there is something new to look for. it doesn't complain
when it cannot do this.

I am seing the same problem under redhat linux kernel2.0.35,
supervise+tcpserver, kernel2.0.35.  this seems to me that there is some
sort of resource not being freed by kernel when one of tcpserver's
processes die, and perhaps its children have run out of (say)
filedescriptors

next time it happens I'll try stracing tcpserver and seeing what happens.

Richard