qmail Digest 5 Jul 1999 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 692
Topics (messages 27587 through 27610):
Urgent! Can anyone help?
27587 by: 123yes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
vchkpw and "real" users?
27588 by: "Robin Bowes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
vchkpw and "real" users? - Solved
27589 by: "Robin Bowes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Qmail stops working
27590 by: Richard Letts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
qmail won't read ~alias/.qmail-root
27591 by: Tomasz Papszun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
27603 by: "Adam D . McKenna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
vchkexpire - is this OK?
27592 by: "Robin Bowes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Problem installing qmail.
27593 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
27594 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
27596 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
child exited 127 ()
27595 by: "Jacob (Mettavihari)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
27597 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
27605 by: Tomasz Papszun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Serialmail won't run from cron
27598 by: Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Single-UID based POP3 && checkpasswd
27599 by: Brad Shelton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
27601 by: Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
qmail & inetd.
27600 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
27602 by: Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
alias problem
27604 by: Clayton Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Qmailanalog lacks functionality
27606 by: Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Why is my /var/log/maillog file exploding?
27607 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
27609 by: "Ricardo Oliveira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Does qmail work with pop if smtp is not to be used.
27608 by: Chittaranjan Mandal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Excessive build-up of log file at MAILHOST end.
27610 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Administrivia:
To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To bug my human owner, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To post to the list, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear all,
My qmail server works without any problem yesterday. But Today, I found
my qmail server can't work anymore. This including all email accounts
and all virtual domains, even I can't log into qmailadmin
(www.inter7.com). The return message saying something like :
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xxxxxx.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)
Can any one guide me to the right direction and tell me how can I fix
the problem? I am willing to let you log into my server and see what's
wrong.
Thanks in advanced.
Regards,
Harris
I'm currently investigating vchkpw - so far, it looks great.
However, one issue I have come across is how to deal with "real" users
on the box running vchkpw.
Say I have a user "robin" on the box hosting vchkpw who exists in
/etc/passwd with homedir /home/robin.
Is it possible for this user to continue to use pop3 on the same box
whilst still allowing for virtual pop users?
How do I tell qmail-pop3d to use /etc/passwd for authentication for this
user?
Any hints appreciated...
R.
--
Two rules to success in life:
1. Don't tell people everything you know.
-- Sassan Tat
Solved!
Of course "real" and virtual users are supported!
My problem was that I had left the line
APOP=-DAPOP=\"/etc/apop-secrets\" in the Makefile and not created the
file /etc/apop-secrets.
The fix was simply "touch /etc/apop-secrets".
Perhaps this should happen as part of the default install?
Cheers,
R.
Robin Bowes wrote:
>
> I'm currently investigating vchkpw - so far, it looks great.
>
> However, one issue I have come across is how to deal with "real" users
> on the box running vchkpw.
>
> Say I have a user "robin" on the box hosting vchkpw who exists in
> /etc/passwd with homedir /home/robin.
>
> Is it possible for this user to continue to use pop3 on the same box
> whilst still allowing for virtual pop users?
>
> How do I tell qmail-pop3d to use /etc/passwd for authentication for this
> user?
>
> Any hints appreciated...
>
> R.
> --
> Two rules to success in life:
> 1. Don't tell people everything you know.
> -- Sassan Tat
--
Two rules to success in life:
1. Don't tell people everything you know.
-- Sassan Tat
On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Doug Lumpkin wrote:
> I'm not sure what else it might be though. All other services run just
> fine before, during and after the problem. It was a clean install of
> Redhat 6.0 a little over two weeks ago and once the qmail is stopped and
> restarted the problem disappears. You take a ps aux and none of the
> qmail-daemons have died, there is just no response to anything sent to
> port 25. If any one else has any suggestions, I'd be glad to listen :-)
simple things first...
if qmail-smptd stops working then the problem is either with qmail-smtpd
or qmail-queue. qmail-queue writes the message in the queue and tells
qmail-send that there is something new to look for. it doesn't complain
when it cannot do this.
I am seing the same problem under redhat linux kernel2.0.35,
supervise+tcpserver, kernel2.0.35. this seems to me that there is some
sort of resource not being freed by kernel when one of tcpserver's
processes die, and perhaps its children have run out of (say)
filedescriptors
next time it happens I'll try stracing tcpserver and seeing what happens.
Richard
Check if you haven't got in file users/assign a line like this:
=root:alias:70:65534:/var/qmail/alias:-:postmaster:
--
Tomasz Papszun SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland | And it's only
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/ | ones and zeros.
On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 at 0:58:12 -0400, Adam D . McKenna wrote:
> I don't know why. But qmail absolutely refuses to read ~alias/.qmail-root.
> If I send e-mail to root, it goes to ~alias/.qmail-postmaster.
> I've just recompiled and reinstalled qmail, and it's doing the same thing.
> It doesn't do this on any of my other hosts.
> Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?
>
> --Adam
*ding ding ding*
I actually figured this out around 4am last night... Some piece of software
(maybe vckpw) put a bunch of aliases there without telling me (or if it did
tell me, I didn't remember..)
--Adam
On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 02:12:38PM +0200, Tomasz Papszun wrote:
> Check if you haven't got in file users/assign a line like this:
> =root:alias:70:65534:/var/qmail/alias:-:postmaster:
>
> --
> Tomasz Papszun SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland | And it's only
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/ | ones and zeros.
>
>
> On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 at 0:58:12 -0400, Adam D . McKenna wrote:
> > I don't know why. But qmail absolutely refuses to read ~alias/.qmail-root.
> > If I send e-mail to root, it goes to ~alias/.qmail-postmaster.
> > I've just recompiled and reinstalled qmail, and it's doing the same thing.
> > It doesn't do this on any of my other hosts.
> > Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?
> >
> > --Adam
>
When I run vchkexpire, I get the following output:
Unlink of .failed
Is this OK?
R.
--
Two rules to success in life:
1. Don't tell people everything you know.
-- Sassan Tat
I have installed qmail-1.03.
I am able to send and receive mails locally.
However, I am not able to send or receive mails from anywhere else.
My control files are as follows:
defaultdomain:
soup.ac.uk
helohost:
mailhost.soup.ac.uk
locals:
localhost
myhost.soup.ac.uk
me:
myhost.soup.ac.uk
plusdomain:
ac.uk
rcpthosts:
smtproutes:
:mailhost.soup.ac.uk
-------------------
I have the following environment variables set for user john:
setenv MAILDIR .qmail
setenv MAILHOST soup.ac.uk
setenv MAILUSER j.smith
setenv QMAILINJECT f
-------------------
I would like any m/c to be able to directly connect to any other host willing to
accept connections (including my mailhost).
I would also like to receive mail directly from any other host trying to connect
to my m/c (including my mailhost, which is unlikely, and so I shall have to use
pop mail).
I really need some help to get qmail working properly on my m/c.
Thanks,
Chitta
+ [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
| I have installed qmail-1.03.
| I am able to send and receive mails locally.
| However, I am not able to send or receive mails from anywhere else.
| My control files are as follows:
|
| [...]
|
| rcpthosts:
With an empty rcpthosts file, you can never receive mail (unless you
create an open relay by setting RELAYCLIENT). Check the qmail-smtpd
man page.
| smtproutes:
| :mailhost.soup.ac.uk
As far as I can see, soup.ac.uk is a nonexistent domain, so you will
not be able to send any mail out.
| I would like any m/c to be able to directly connect to any other
| host willing to accept connections (including my mailhost).
Why you would want to connect a motorcycle to the Internet is beyond
me. Does it run unix?
- Harald
I have installed qmail-1.03.
I am able to send and receive mails locally.
However, I am not able to send or receive mails from anywhere else.
My control files are as follows:
defaultdomain:
king.ac.uk
helohost:
bob.king.ac.uk
locals:
localhost
r341-02.king.ac.uk
me:
r341-02.king.ac.uk
plusdomain:
ac.uk
rcpthosts:
king.ac.uk
brunel.ac.uk
vsnl.net.in
hotmail.com
ernet.in
ac.uk
edu
smtproutes:
:bob.king.ac.uk
-------------------
I have the following environment variables set for user chitta:
setenv MAILDIR .qmail
setenv MAILHOST king.ac.uk
setenv MAILUSER c.mandal
setenv QMAILINJECT f
-------------------
The following lines are present in my /etc/inetd.conf:
linuxconf stream tcp wait root /bin/linuxconf linuxconf --http
smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /usr/sbin/tcpd /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
qmqp stream tcp nowait qmaild /usr/sbin/tcpd /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-qmqpd
pop3 stream tcp nowait root /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup qmail-popup r341-02.king.ac.uk
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir
-------------------
I would like my linux box to be able to directly connect to any other host
willing to accept connections (including my mailhost).
I would also like to receive mail directly from a number of other host trying
to connect to my m/c (including my bob, which is unlikely, and so I shall have
to use pop mail).
I really need some help to get qmail working properly on my m/c.
Thanks,
Chitta
Hi all,
When I try to send mail from root to a user using mutt
I get this message.
Error sending message, child exited 127 ().
Suggestions where to look for the error are much appriciated.
thanks
Jacob
When I do a ps -ax it looks like this.
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
507 ? S 0:00 httpd
518 ? S 0:01 xfs
567 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/innd -p5
569 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/actived
614 ? S 0:00 supervise /var/supervise/qmail/send /var/qmail/rc
615 ? S 0:00 cyclog /var/log/qmail
616 ? S 0:00 supervise /var/supervise/qmail/smtpd tcpserver -v -x/
617 ? S 0:00 accustamp
618 ? S 0:00 cyclog /var/log/qmail/smtpd
619 ? S 0:00 tcpserver -v -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u501 -g500 0 smtp /
620 ? S 0:00 qmail-send
623 tty1 S 0:00 login -- metta
624 tty2 S 0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty2
625 tty3 S 0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty3
626 tty4 S 0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty4
627 tty5 S 0:00 login -- root
628 tty6 S 0:00 login -- root
631 ? S 0:00 update (bdflush)
634 ? S 0:00 accustamp
635 ? S 0:00 qmail-lspawn ./Maildir/
636 ? S 0:00 qmail-rspawn
637 ? S 0:00 qmail-clean
638 tty5 S 0:00 -bash
650 tty6 S 0:00 -bash
669 ? S 0:00 /sbin/mgetty ttyS1
776 tty1 S 0:00 -bash
789 tty5 R 0:00 ps -ax
# /usr/local/sbin/qmail stat
Checking qmail-send
931086412 up pid 620
Checking qmail-smtpd
931086412 up pid 619
Checking queue
messages in queue: 0
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0
+ "Jacob (Mettavihari)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
| When I try to send mail from root to a user using mutt
| I get this message.
|
| Error sending message, child exited 127 ().
Is mutt configured to use sendmail, or qmail-inject? If sendmail,
have you replaced the sendmail (in /usr/lib or /usr/sbin) with a
symlink to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail?
I don't think either qmail-inject or qmail's sendmail clone ever exits
127. But maybe mutt does, if something goes wrong after it forks to
run qmail-inject or sendmail?
You could try tracing the system calls of mutt and its children, if
you're on a system supporting this.
- Harald
On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 at 20:32:58 +0600, Jacob (Mettavihari) wrote:
>
> When I try to send mail from root to a user using mutt
> I get this message.
>
> Error sending message, child exited 127 ().
>
In one of the latest versions of mutt was a bug causing the same error.
Mutt searched for "sendmail" (i.e. not real sendmail but a wrapper to
actually installed MTA) in wrong place.
Possible solutions were:
o make a symlink /usr/bin/sendmail to a real place of sendmail
(probably /usr/sbin/sendmail)
o tell mutt to search in a real place with the command in
/etc/Muttrc (or ~/.muttrc): set sendmail="/path/to/sendmail"
o upgrade mutt
--
Tomasz Papszun SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland | And it's only
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/ | ones and zeros.
Hello Qmailers,
I'm using serialmail-75 over a ppp link for outgoing mail on a linux
box. From the ip-up scripts it runs perfectly. However, if the conection
stays up, I call serialmail from a crontab on the hour. The crontab
calls a wrapper which checks if serialmail is running. If not, it is
invoked
as follows:
/usr/local/bin/maildirsmtp ~alias/pppdir alias-ppp- mail.spark.com.ar
gateway 2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger serialmail
When serialmail is called from the crontab, it does not run and always
get the following in syslog:
Jul 2 10:00:01 gateway serialmail: 930920402.294743 maildirserial:
fatal: unable to get scanner status: no child processes
Jul 2 10:00:02 gateway serialmail: 930924001.911220 maildirserial:
fatal: unable to run tcpclient: file does not
exist
I have the path to tcpclient set as a system wide path, and call
serialmail from the crontab as root (fetchmail works under the same
circumstances).
Anyone?
Cheers - eric
On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 01:39:03PM +0800, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am happy that I can already send mail to each virtual domain user, but
> unfortunately till now I am not able to get it to work that the user can
> pickup the e-mails.
>
><snip>
>
> The program checkpoppasswd.c did not compile with "-lcrypt", however
> without it did. (I use Linux Slackware 3.6 with kernel 2.2.4 on this
> machine).
>
If you're using a system with shadow passwords, and you probably are, then
you MUST get checkpoppasswd.c to compile with crypt. THAT is why your users
are not getting authenticated, if indeed you are using shadow passwords and
checkpoppasswd.c did not compile with "-lcrypt".
--
Brad Shelton On Line Exchange http://ole.net
----
810.939.7604 Phone - Tech Support
810.264.7051 Fax - Tech Support
313.961.7100 Phone - Main Office
313.961.7101 Fax - Main Office
On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 01:39:03PM +0800, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am happy that I can already send mail to each virtual domain user, but
> unfortunately till now I am not able to get it to work that the user can
> pickup the e-mails.
>
> (part of rc.local:)
> echo "starting qmail..."
> csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &'
> #
> echo "starting qmail-smtp..."
> #/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -c100 -u 65534 0 smtp
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -u 5635 -g 101 -c400 0 smtp
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
> 2>&1 |/var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &
> #
> echo "starting qmail-popup..."
> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
> www.trace.net.tw \
> /var/qmail/bin/checkpoppasswd /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &
>
>
> The program checkpoppasswd.c did not compile with "-lcrypt", however
> without it did. (I use Linux Slackware 3.6 with kernel 2.2.4 on this
> machine).
I have a couple of version of checkpassword that ought to work for you, with or
without shadow passwords. They both use a password file of the same format as
the one you're using, but one version compiles that into a cdb for extra speed.
You can find them at:
http://www.palomine.net/qmail/checkcdb.tar.gz
http://www.palomine.net/qmail/checkpassword-0.81.patch
They're both patches to DJB's checkpassword-0.81, so you'll need to get that
too. For the cdb version you'll also need DJB's cdb-0.55 tarball.
Chris
Does qmail-1.03 work with inetd?
Thanks,
Chitta
Yes, it works fine. There have got to be 100s (1000s ?) of installations
running qmail under inetd. It is just not recommended for heavily loaded
mail systems.
- eric
[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribi�:
>
> Does qmail-1.03 work with inetd?
>
> Thanks,
> Chitta
(re: qmail suddenly losing the ability to do redirects to
&real_user@domain in ~/alias/.qmail-[admin user] on linux, but
still redirecting postmaster ok.)
Found the problem:
You know how some versions of gnu find gets confused if you have an
unquoted directory-name with a "-" in it as the first argument to
find? Find decides that the part of the directory-name following the
"-" is an "unrecognized option", or something to that effect. If it's
double-quoted, find has no problem with it.
This tends to stick in the back of my mind when making directories and
filenames, and when I remember it I make compound directory and filenames
using a "_" rather than a "-" to connect the two or more parts of the
name.
So when I originally installed qmail, I changed the extension separator
(the part between ".qmail" and "username" in qmail control files like
".qmail-postmaster") from "-" to "_", just on policy.
That worked fine until I upgraded qmail, ie I recompiled it and forgot
to change the separator character. I just copied a sample alias file
from .qmail_aliasname to .qmail-aliasname, tried mail to it, no problem.
But while we're on the subject, what is the difference between redirecting
to an alias for a username that has an account but no password or shell
and an account with no /etc/passwd entry at all?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Regards,
Clayton Weaver
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Seattle)
"Everybody's ignorant, just in different subjects." Will Rogers
Hello,
qmailanalog will give you lots of usefull information, but it seems
geared toward providing bulk sender / recipient related stats. Is there
a way to get it to provide per msg sender and recipient information:
perhaps something like this:
10:01 [EMAIL PROTECTED] ==>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
10:01 [EMAIL PROTECTED] ==>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
14:02 [EMAIL PROTECTED] ==>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
That kind of information is in the raw maillog and I see the following
statement in the analog package "You can feed the x* output through the
z* scripts", however, I have tried many combos of x and z scripts
together, but never get anything other than x or z script output.
How else do you people deal with customer x who wants to know if and
when his message to customer y was sent? Looking at the raw maillog is
not very efficient.
I downloaded someone's perl script which advertised the functionality
I'm looking for, but it just gave me raw maillog data as output.
Anyone?
many thx - eric
My log file is being flooded by messages of "trouble opening remote .... "
Some of the messages are as follows:
Jul 5 09:42:52 r341-02 qmail: 931164172.475171 warning: trouble opening
remote/12/62710; will try again later
Jul 5 09:43:27 r341-02 qmail: 931164207.485388 warning: trouble opening
remote/11/62709; will try again later
Jul 5 09:43:49 r341-02 qmail: 931164229.495232 warning: trouble opening
remote/10/62708; will try again later
Jul 5 09:44:30 r341-02 qmail: 931164270.505117 warning: trouble opening
remote/1/62722; will try again later
Jul 5 09:44:56 r341-02 qmail: 931164296.515108 warning: trouble opening
remote/12/62710; will try again later
Jul 5 09:45:31 r341-02 qmail: 931164331.525165 warning: trouble opening
remote/11/62709; will try again later
Jul 5 09:45:53 r341-02 qmail: 931164353.535102 warning: trouble opening
remote/10/62708; will try again later
Jul 5 09:46:34 r341-02 qmail: 931164394.545122 warning: trouble opening
remote/1/62722; will try again later
Jul 5 09:47:00 r341-02 qmail: 931164420.555175 warning: trouble opening
remote/12/62710; will try again later
Jul 5 09:47:35 r341-02 qmail: 931164455.565134 warning: trouble opening
remote/11/62709; will try again later
Jul 5 09:47:57 r341-02 qmail: 931164477.575170 warning: trouble opening
remote/10/62708; will try again later
Jul 5 09:48:38 r341-02 qmail: 931164518.585127 warning: trouble opening
remote/1/62722; will try again later
Jul 5 09:49:04 r341-02 qmail: 931164544.595139 warning: trouble opening
remote/12/62710; will try again later
Jul 5 09:49:39 r341-02 qmail: 931164579.605113 warning: trouble opening
remote/11/62709; will try again later
Jul 5 09:50:01 r341-02 qmail: 931164601.615134 warning: trouble opening
remote/10/62708; will try again later
Jul 5 09:50:42 r341-02 qmail: 931164642.625108 warning: trouble opening
remote/1/62722; will try again later
Jul 5 09:51:08 r341-02 qmail: 931164668.635132 warning: trouble opening
remote/12/62710; will try again later
Jul 5 09:51:43 r341-02 qmail: 931164703.645117 warning: trouble opening
remote/11/62709; will try again later
Jul 5 09:52:05 r341-02 qmail: 931164725.655136 warning: trouble opening
remote/10/62708; will try again later
As of now I am being able to send mail outside.
The directories remote/* are empty.
In particular message 62710 corresponds to a message that was successfully sent out.
How can I solve this problem?
Thanks,
Chitta
Hmm.. I don't know WHY those messages are appearing if the email was
successfully sent out, but to stop them from appearing remove the todo/
contents (only the ones referring to the trouble messages).
Just my $5. :)
> ....
> opening remote/12/62710; will try again later
> Jul 5 09:49:39 r341-02 qmail: 931164579.605113 warning: trouble
> opening remote/11/62709; will try again later
>
> As of now I am being able to send mail outside.
>
> The directories remote/* are empty.
>
> In particular message 62710 corresponds to a message that was
> successfully sent out.
>
At my site the computer prefers that I should use pop rather than
smtp. Does qmail work with pop?
Thanks,
Chitta
I have just found out that the qmail installation at my site is
generating a huge failure log at the host site.
I definitely need to get rid of that problem.
Can anyone suggest how?
Thanks,
Chitta