I have just tried to compile qmail on AIX 3.2.5 and it failed. I
searched the archives and found some one who had the identical
error. There was a reply that suggested a fix and then a reply
from Bruno Wolff III on 26 August 1998 that suggested this
would not work. Here is that reply that contains the original
error and the first suggestion:-

This solution won't work. fchdir is being used because it is an efficient
way to reset the cwd after it has been changed. I think it may have also
been done to simplify indicating where to install stuff (by cd'ing
to the install directory rather than building full filename paths).

What I did for install for rblstmpd and qmail-1.03, was create a static
buffer of size PATHNAMELEN+1 (defined in sys/param.h) and used getwd
to get the name of the cwd and then used chdir to the saved name to
return to it.

>> .fchdir
>> The OS is AIX 3.2.5
>
>AIX 3.2.5 doesn't have fchdir(2).
>
>Try replacing
>
>         if (fchdir(fdsourcedir) == -1)
>
>with
>          if (chdir(".") == -1)

I have two questions:-

Is Bruno correct that the simple line change just above does not work?

If so, how do his suggestions translate into changes in the code?

Cheers, Brian.
--
        Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke)
Chemistry, Faculty of Science, IT and Education, Northern Territory University,