"Marc-Adrian Napoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've been asked if we support "ERTN".

That's ETRN.

>Reading around... it looks like I have to have serialmail installed to
>support it.

Serialmail support AutoTURN, which does the same thing as ETRN, but
doesn't require the client to send an SMTP ETRN command.

>1. How do I find out if I have serialmail installed?

find / -name maildir2smtp -print

If it it finds it, you've probably got serialmail.

>2. If I do have serialmail installed, what is the difference between ERTN
>and people just dialing in and collecting their mail normally?

People don't dial into SMTP servers to collect mail. SMTP is a "push"
protocol, not a "pull". The ETRN command gives the SMTP server a
nudge, causing it to push messages queued to host that issued the
command, but it doesn't do it through that connection. AutoTURN gives
the SMTP server the nudge when the client system connects to port
25. It doesn't need the client to issue an ETRN command.

(The "pull" mail protocols are POP3 and IMAP.)

-Dave